Fender Supersonic 22 Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by sposey549, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sposey549

sposey549 TDPRI Member

Since I see no club for this jewel I will start it. I just got a limited seafoam green one today and it is beautiful. This is a deluxe reverb with extras. It sounds great from clean to distortion. Time will tell on the reliability, but like all US made Fenders I don't see haveing any troubles.

2. ondy71

ondy71 TDPRI Member

I got one too. I had trouble with the channel switch from clean to burn. Took it back to the shop I got it from to repair under warranty. I get it back this week sometime. But overall a great small amp. Cool tones.

3. ondy71

ondy71 TDPRI Member

But woo hoo I'm number two in the club.

4. ondy71

ondy71 TDPRI Member

image-2272995396.jpg

ifallalot likes this.
  5. ondy71

ondy71 TDPRI Member

Mine

Attached Files:

6. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Blonde one for me. My favorite right now! Quite also.

7. JimmyZ

JimmyZ Tele-Meister

I bought a blonde one a couple of months ago and it's now my number one. Anyone want to buy a DR Z?

8. dootywater

dootywater TDPRI Member

supersonic 22 owners club

i kno there is already a ss owners club, but the 22 is different in alot of ways so i decided it deserved its own owners club (i didnt find one b4 when i did my search)

so mine is the surf green "limited edition" all stock except some new old stock preamp tubes

so feel free to post up anything about this amp im mostly interested in mods

im curious about the bright cap mod for the drri applying to this amp so if anyone knows about that please post

also speaker changes and so on, also this is my first post i love the forums on here so ...thanks for reading lol

9. dootywater

dootywater TDPRI Member

ooohhh now i see it ^^^ lol

10. dootywater

dootywater TDPRI Member

mine is also seafoam/surf green

it basically looks fantastic, if not for that i would have went blonde for sure

i wanna pick up one of the new super sonic twins for my beat up gigging type amp, and keep my 22 in pristine condition assuming they will actually be limited (doubtful)

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I want a blonde one... going to play a local one on friday. I am a former owner of the 60W Super-Sonic, so I am VERY much looking forward to giving the 22W a spin. If it's what I HOPE it is (basically a DR on steroids), it'll replace the amp I've had for years now (that has beat all-comers): Genz Benz Black Pearl.

12. ruger9

ok, just played one. It's a quality amp. I can't give a review because the speaker was brand new, and I didn't have MY guitar, but it sounded very promising. As a former Super-Sonic owner, I can comfortably say I know how much improved the amps get with a broken-in speaker & your personal choice of tubes.

It sounded good enough that I have decided to buy one and give it "my treatment", as soon as I can afford it. I've been looking for a 6V6 amp that doesn't brake the bank (not boutique), and has good clean & dirty tones. The SS22 could just be it.

13. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

So is the channel switch issue gone after you got it back from the shop?

14. ondy71

ondy71 TDPRI Member

got it back after two agonizing weeks without an amp. she came back all issues gone and all smiles at my end. happy, happy happy i am

15. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Good deal, man. I love the concept of that amp and I love the sounds I've heard from it. Perhaps one day I'll get one of my own.

16. EdFontana

EdFontana TDPRI Member

Surf Green Limited 22

Bought a Surf Green Limited about 6 weeks ago for my live rig, retired my MK1 RI Boogie to the studio after 10 years use....love the sound, but since I play very "clean and loud" live, took a little bit of "experimentation" to finally get the amp to work for me (keeping the volume at 4, no higher, with just enough in the monitors to fill things out).....really happy with the sound, so much so I sold my '65 Deluxe RI that was my studio amp, I figure if the Boogie wont do what I want in a session, the SS is light enough to bring in from the trailer....Burn channel is very useful as an extra OD solo, although stacking another OD (or Fuzz) for solo's on top doesn't work for me.....the other way around (OD pedal, kicked up with Burn for solo's) is fine (could just be my set-up, but not a deal-breaker anyway)...miss the vibrato on my Deluxe a bit, but have an H&K Rotosphere for that when needed....this is a nice amp, build quality "might" be a little light, but it lives in a roadcase now, so not too worried...time will tell !!! :)

17. Bustrz5150

Bustrz5150 TDPRI Member

Just took delivery of a SS22 last week...unfortunately, I have a bad power tube in mine (rattle) - but it still sounds good despite the rattle in tube. New tubes on the way.

Has anyone checked the factory set bias in these amps yet? If so, are they pretty spot on at the 24ma that is on the spec sheet? Just curious.

I'm also curious to know your favorite settings for both of the channels...and whether or not you prefer to sit this baby right on the ground or in an amp stand...

So far...the favorite amp I own...

Erik

18. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon TDPRI Member

Ruger9, You and I have very similar taste, at least in amps. I replaced my 60watt SS with the Black Pearl 30 2x12. Now I mic a Vox AC4TV10 because I don't want to lug the Black Pearl around. Been wondering about this SS22 and whether it's better than just a DDRI and a good distortion pedal. Need to unload the black pearl or just leave it in the music room to avoid a hernia. The SS might not need mic'ing like the Vox does.

19. ruger9

The vintage side of the SS22 is very much in the DRRI camp. The Burn channel is nowhere NEAR the DRRI camp! I'll say this: it was brand new, just out of the box a day or so before, so the speaker was still tight & bright. Taking that into consideration, and my previous ownership of the Supersonic 60 combo (which narrowly lost to the Black Pearl), I think if I BOUGHT an SS22, broke the speaker in, and put some decent (not Sovtek tubes) in it, it would equal the BP30. Would it beat it? IDK... I'd have to have them side-by-side. But it is very very promising.

I'm not trying to get rid of my BP30, it's a great EL84 amp, but I've been wanting a 6V6 amp lately. Actually, if Genz Benz came out with a BP30 with 6V6s, I'd be 1st in line!

20. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Joined the club. I took advantage of the 15% off coupon advertised on the ad banner.
    I've wanted one for a while and couldn't pass up a new one with warranty for $850.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.