fender super twin reverb... too heavy.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Newbcaster, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

If i put that thing in a light pine box, how much will it decrease the weight by? Heavier than Thor's Hammer!!!

Sounds great but I can't gig with that thing.. and i can't see myself spending thousands on a wet dry wet setup.

What I need to do is have a fat wife and convince her that roadie-ing for me is the best thing ever....though I'd probably have to enlist with the FBI to learn that kind of hypnosis.

I also dont need the reverb since i have a demeter rack reverb which, frankly, sounds better.

How much weight would I save?

Piggy Stu likes this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Omg, i've read that it weights 95 lbs, is that true ? How can you carry that monster around man ?:eek::eek::eek:
    I don't think you will save that much by changing the chassis, the transormer is a big part of its weight, maybe you can convert it into a head and use a separted cabinet so it will be easy to carry, or best solution find another amp that is close to its tone.

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I am steadily selling off my heavier amplifiers.

Getting too old to lug those lead anchors from truck to stage and back again.

:(

coloradojeff and kookaburra like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Cabs on these are already light. You won't save but a few pounds. Reverb tank might weigh 2 lb? All the weight is in the speakers and transformers. I'll guess the speakers are 12 lb each, and the transformers are 30+ pounds. Maybe look at some neo speakers, that will knock off almost 16 lb! And you could look at going to a smaller power transformer, maybe try to lose another 5 lb. After all that, it will still be heavier than a new '65 Twin Reverb (72 lb), lol. Maybe just live with it as-is, and commit to a nice cart with aired tires.

[​IMG]

5. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Get a cart, the it's speakers and transformers what weighs in there, the cabinet is yes big and yes heavy, but meh .. like 15% maybe of the total weight ?

Newbcaster likes this.
  6. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

OR
    rip out the amp, insert 2 smaller independent amps, hook up to the 2 speakers and
    hey presto - you have a complete Wet/Dry in a single combo.

That was my idea.
    Eddie.

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

its not that i wasnt aware this wasnt a possibility. its fundamentally a great idea. Only one flaw. I'd need a truck with a ramp to load and unload this thing. long ass ramp too. too steep and a wet dry wet setup of 100 pound amps x3 is kinda backbreaking.

8. Thin white duke

If you play with a wet dry wet set up is another reason why you don't need such a big amp, i sometimes play with a wet / dry set up with 2 1x12 solid state amps and the sound coming out from the guys is so huge, in your case is even more because you use 3 amps, do you play in big situations like stadium or what else ? To be honest, nobody needs to play 3 super twin at the same time, let's face it.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Got ya. How about a head and cab setup? Should be able to get the head down to 55 lb, 2x12 cab at 40 lb?

10. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Tell it to this guy:
    Nugent_Ted_Fender_ad_70s.jpg

815261bd368f53031b8c738ac869e15f.jpg

Chunkocaster and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  11. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

I had one of these in the eighties.
    Today my Princeton seems to heavy.

velorex

kookaburra and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I have a cart I’ll use (a folding Magna Carta). But I’ve played plenty of gigs where a cart isn’t going to make it over a crappy sidewalk or a set of stairs.

A friend of mine made a head/speaker cabinet out of his combo (SFMV Fender Twin Reverb) to make two pieces instead of one big amp...but those transformers made that head weigh quite a bit.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  13. Thin white duke

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I'm right there with you @Velorex .

Princeton.jpg

Mark the Moose and Marc Morfei like this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

The number of people who have dumped heavy 212 amps for something smaller is huge. Most people here are very satisfied with a Deluxe Reverb, or any one of a hundred other choices for smaller/lighter amps.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I saw Nugent in mid 70s and he was using that setup, 3 Super Twins on top of 2-15 cabs. That’s probably the loudest show I ever heard, brutally loud.
    My buddy had a SF Twin w factory JBLs and it was really heavy, if the Super Twin is heavier I can’t imagine having to haul one around.
    And why would you need that much amp and where can you crank one up?

drlucky likes this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Don’t bother trying to save weight on the wood. The weight of that amp comes from iron. It’s sorta like when my mother in law takes her earrings off before she goes to Weight Watchers.

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

A good northern pine cab may save you 10# if your's is particle board. The reverb tank does have some weight, but maybe you save 5#. Hard to get that amp light. make a head cab out of it and use a separate speaker cab?

19. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Back in my younger days my best friend owned a logistics or otherwise known as a moving company. In which case I learned all the tricks of the trade while working with him. Mostly very heavy and expensive hospital equipment. And to be honest it simply amazes me how many people work with their backs rather than their brains. First rule is never carry anything you can put on wheels and push. Stairs? decline the job or put the New Knees on it and charge double. If you can find a fat wife to do the lifting and carrying for you that's great. But if you think about it, it might be cheaper to just buy a good moving dolly. Also lots of cheap labor hangs out there which may be cheaper yet.

Newbcaster likes this.
  20. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

yep, I would look at splitting it up to a head/cab
    I would still look for ways to make it lighter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.