Fender Super Champ X2 or keeping Marshall Origin 50

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AtlanticCity83, May 21, 2021.

Keeping the Origin 50C or buying a Super Champ X2 - or......

1. Keeping the Marshall

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. Buy the Super Champ X2

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Something else

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

Hi Guys,

currently I'm playing a LP and an Origin 50 Combo.

As I'm a Tele-guy I would like to sell the guitar and buy a Vintera 50s or Player Series Tele. Not sure which one but another question would be: Keeping the Marshall or is the Super Champ X2 a great amplifier? I love Fender's Tweed and Blackface sounds, so can the X2 handle it? It's also because of the big size of the Origin... And is the X2 great for rehearsals? (As a 2nd amp I also own a THR10v2.)

What I'm looking for, is a great Bruce Springsteen-like sound (around 1973-1984).

What would you think or recommend?

Thank you in advance (Hope my English is ok....) and keep rockin'!

RadioFM74, Telecaster88 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Holic

I have a Player Series Tele and it's the best Tele I've ever had. Very good value as well as the whole range.

I'd keep the Marshall because I do not like amps with onboard FXs and if you want the Fender sound it's not the best.

3. David C

David C Tele-Meister

If it's an either or thing, I would seriously evaluate what I originally liked about the Marshall that makes it less appealing today. Maybe try the Fender guitar with the Marshall amp first.

These are two completely different amps as I see it. Used prices are half for the Fender Super Champ X2 compared to the Origin 50. If you insist on the solid state Fender, why not take a look at the Mustang GTX series? The Origin 50 and the Mustang GTX new are more equal in value and you can get a warranty on the amp.

AtlanticCity83 and Tim S like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’ve had the Super Champ X2 in the past. Never played it for rehearsals so I can’t comment there. I will say the Bassman and Twin sounds are the only sounds I found remotely usable, the other sounds were awful, as I recall.

I’d vote keep the Marshall if you can (or if you’re worried about size, get a Pro Junior, which is my answer for most everything).

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'd get the Tele you want, and try it through the Marshall first.

You might like it as is - the Origin is not a high Gain Marshall right?
    So it can give you a bold clean tone, I think.

Just my 2 cents- I'd probably love the Origin 20 (just small gigs and small amps in my universe)

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Super Champ XD (earlier version of the X2), and it's probably the most classic Fendery sounding amp you can buy for under $500. Having said that, it's never going to sound like a real vintage tube amp. IMO that's the problem with every modeler I've ever played through; although they get close with some of the presets, it's just not the same. They don't breathe and react like a real all-tube amp. You get good sounds, but not great. It depends on what you want - do you want a bunch of decent sounds, or one or two really great ones?

As a grab and go amp the X2 would be a great backup or rehearsal amp. Unless you have a hard hitting drummer, it'll hold up just fine volume-wise. The effects are functional enough to use if you don't want to lug your pedalboard on occasion, but again - decent, not great.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    AtlanticCity83 likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Someday, I'm gonna get a Pro Jr.!

I own a 1999 BJ ( million gigs, but actually a little 'big' for stuff I do now), and also a Pathfinder and Frontman 25R ( with Emi Legend now, love it!) for gigs.

A Pro Jr. + Reverb pedal ( I have a few) would be a great addition, for some rock grind.
    Someday...

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I've never played through an Origin, but I've been curious about them. And the reason I'm curious about them is because of the Marshall setting on my SCX2.

The SCX2 is the nicest sounding, most versatile amp I've ever had. Channel One is a nice Fender clean, and on the modeling side I've found that there are settings that bring out the best of my many different guitars. I'm mainly a Tele player, but also have a Thinline, Strats, an SG, an Epi 339, and there are models and EQ settings on the SCX2 that make all of them shine.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing, I don't like about the SCX2 is the background worry that the DSP is going to crap out someday. But mostly people have no problems in that regard, and in the rare case it happens there are ways to mod the circuit to bypass the DSP and leave you with a great sounding, basic Fender BF amp.

The effects are fine. I mostly just use the reverb, and it sounds great, but it's fun to twiddle around with the different effects sometimes. And I'm able to run all kinds of pedals through it with success.

My gigging years are in the past, so I've never turned the SCX2 up past 3 or 4. Others will have to let you know how loud it gets, but I know folks gig with them.

My advice would be: get your Tele and play it through the Origin. It may be a fantastic combination. My Tele sounds best through the Bassman setting on the SCX2, and isn't the Origin a kind of Bassman circuit?

If you feel limited with that, I'd definitely consider the SCX2. My old Am Std Tele through the Bassman setting on the SCX2 is pure Fender heaven. And for the record, I've never plugged it in to Fuse. It's all factory settings.

ADDED CAVEAT: I play 100% clean, so can't comment on the SCX2 when overdriven.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    AtlanticCity83 and Roll Tide like this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Origin 50c is a great amp with a tele. Sprinkle a few pedals on top and you can get any tone you want, except maybe the classic 2x6L6 Fender sound.

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Origin 20, and for a very short time had a SC XD. As someone above mentioned, the SC may not be the best example of Fender sound. It sounds digital to me, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Bottom line for me is the Marshall is far and away a better sounding amp than the Super Champ.

ucnick and AtlanticCity83 like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I agree with the above ^^^. I would add...

Some SCX2s go forever and never have a failure. Mine went 8 years before the USB interface failed. That's just the interface, so the amp is still entirely usable. I just treat it like an SCXD that doesn't have a USB interface. The DSP board does fail on a few examples, and if it's not under warranty you keep the tubes, speaker, transformers, and cab, then put the chassis in the electronic recycle.

My SCX2 with NOS tubes and a Weber Signature 10AS speaker puts out BF/SF Princeton tone on Channel 1 and I find half of the other voices to be good and useful. The effects are basic, but decent as built-ins you don't have to schlep with you to a jam.

The overdrive of the basic amp is outstanding, but you won't get there with the stock speaker.

I also think that you should try the Tele through the Marshall, first.

DADGAD, David C and AtlanticCity83 like this.
  12. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

You're right, the Origin might be some kind of Bassman. I think I'll try it with the Origin first. This might be a fantastic combination.

A store offers a 50s Classic Telecaster from 2014 for 750€. I suggest, this would be a great Deal.

13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Hallo,

Well... I was in a situation like yours... Had a Superchamp for a while and (spoiler here) now I play an Origin 50c

The superchamp has nothing "super" in. Is just a wanabee, jack of all trades and master of none, inane amp. Not enough power to cape with my drummers, boxy and with a nonreliability reputation.

Marshall 50c is, for me one of the best amps in the last 5 years or so. LIGHT... yes, is light for a Marshall, I had an 800 and a 900 and no, is a light amp. I had a Bassman 59 LTD and sold it as soon as I got the Origin, go figure. The Origin can do the Bassman thing but the Bassman cannot do the Marshall thing, period.
    Most versatile amp I had and keep it. Really, the best "grab and go" except maybe a Pro Junior, but they are not in the same league.

You'd better try with a Tele and your band. I think the Origin will blow away any Superchamp any day of the week even for fenderish tones. Really. Just tilt it brighter... you know, the tilt pot, is there for a reason. Keep it at 50W for maximun headroom, the less gain you can and there you are

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Hows the headroom on the Origin50 if you're using pedals?

15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've owned three of the recent Super Champ variations and didn't get along with any of them. As mentioned above the modeling sounds are not good. I will say I had one that sounded great in my garage.

16. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I've used my SCXD at rehearsal in a 5 piece band. (Acoustic guitar, sax, drums, bass and me on electric.) The Super Champ was just enough to be heard. I changed the stock speaker to a more efficient Eminence Legend. My band mates love it's size, tone and power. But, I felt it needed just a bit more headroom.

17. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

If you want to try the Super Champ, go for the older XD version. More reliable and better sounding. I had both for a year and didn't keep the X2. I now own two XD, but they are played through better speakers than the combo's original. The one at the studio is played through a 2X10" external cab, the one at the cottage has a new home made bigger cab to accomodate a 12".

If I had to play the XD only through it's internal OEM 10", I wouldn't probably keep it.

People often don't like an amp because they didn't probe all the settings, didn't find its sweet spot, just like people swapping everything on a guitar before even trying to adjust pickup heights. Classic.

If you can afford it, find a used SCXD and compare, nothing better than to have two amps side by side and do an A-B shoot-out. You'll probabbly sell it back the price you paid for if you don't like it.

I have to say I'm lurking the Origin, not to replace my SCXD but to know first hand. A friend has and Origin, he just got an XD recently and is blowned away by it. He's keeping both. That's how good it is.

For those who have a Super Champ and only use the clean side, experiment with the models on the other side. To me that's where this amp's magic resides. Nobody would dare try that (hence the hate of that little gem), but most of the Fender voices sound their best with volume dimed (cooking those tubes) and loudness set by the gain knob. That's where the tone gets its fullness and sensitivity is edgy.

What does a solid state amp do with two power amp 6V6 tubes and one 12AX7 preamp tube ?

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

It's funny to see the love it or hate it thing here with the Super Champ. I LOVE IT. Yes, the hi gain models sound crappy, but so do the high gain models on every modeling amp. One of the things I love about the SCX2 is I can plug my Strat or Tele into it, or my SG with mini humbuckers, or my Thinline with the hated fake WRHBs, or my Epi ES-339, or my Ric 360, etc, and with a few quick knob twists I get a great sound out of every single one of them.

The Fender models are great, as are the Voxes and Lo Gain Marshall, depending on what guitar and pickups you have going in. I actually like the modeling side better than Channel One (which is still superb)... They're really nuanced and fine-tuned.

Again, I'm playing at low volumes or recording. Have never and will never put it up against a rock n roll drummer, but for my purposes it's a fantastic amp. Been playing Fender amps all my life, and it's a Fender amp for sure.

DrBGood and AtlanticCity83 like this.
  19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

The X2 Super Champ has a 6V6 power section.

20. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

SCX2 does pedals extremely well so I typically only use the clean channel and use a drive pedal for overdrive/distortion and the amp sounds excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.