1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Super 60,112 & 210 Owners!

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by mattdean4130, Feb 17, 2010.

1. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

I CONCUR! This amp for this money? It is an all original amp, It works perfect! I cannot believe it , Ive never played thru on of these....before I bought it, I read all the great reviews here and boy it does indeed live up to them. I took pics, will try to get them up eventually...
    Can I put some Tilt Back legs on this?

2. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

wow! unbelievable score. I'm sure tilt back legs wouldn't be an issue. I think you'd want the medium length jobs. I put my Super 112 on a stand now and then - it raises the front bottom up by 6" and tilts back ~20 degrees.

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

75 bucks??? That's a crazy good deal!!!

Congrats on that one

4. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

Tube Question on these...I scored some OLD 6L6G(cokebottle)NOS tubes..will these handle the Plate Voltages from these > Super 210? I'm guessing no..:?:

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Probably not, if they're really old.

Here's some info I found on a Hot Rod Deluxe site, which should apply to the RK Supers I believe:

http://www.justinholton.com/hotrod/bias.html#recommend

The Hot Rod amps have a plate voltage of around 430V (Deluxe) or 475V (Deville). They were designed to be used with 6L6GC tubes, which can handle 500 volts/30 watts on the plates, and 450 volts/5 watts on the screen. Lets take a look at the other 6L6 variations and see exactly how they differ.

6L6 This is the original version placed inside a metal envelope (pictured above on the left). It can handle 360 volts/19 watts on the plates, and 270 volts/2.5 watts on the screen.

6L6G This tube has the same specs as the 6L6, but is placed in a large "Coke Bottle" shaped glass envelope—which is what the "G" stands for.

6L6GA This tube is the same as the 6L6/6L6G, though is in a smaller "Coke Bottle" shaped glass envelope. The Groove Tube 6L6-CB, the CB meaning "Coke Bottle," is probably the Chinese remake of this tube.

6L6GB Also has the same specs as the 6L6/6L6G/6L6GA tubes, except its envelope is straight sided glass like the 6L6GC. So visually this tube and the 6L6GC look alike, but internally are completely different.

5932/6L6WGA This is a mechanically rugged-ized version with a huge brown base and straight sided glass envelope similar to the 6L6GB/6L6GC—it was produced only by Sylvania. It's electrical specs are exactly the same as the 6L6/6L6G/6L6GA/6L6GB.

Groove Tubes 6L6B I am constantly asked about this, so I've updated this on 6/22/05. I had received a bunch of emails at one time complaining about the GT-6L6B as a replacement tube, so I began recommending that everyone avoid them. It's been well over a year (at least) since I haven't heard a single peep about the quality of the GT-6L6B. I can only hope and assume that whatever was wrong has been corrected, or people really have stopped using them as replacement tubes. A while back I got about four or five emails from people complaining about how their amp crapped out on them (usually lost almost all its volume), after they bought GT-6L6Bs as replacement tubes from their local music store. They had always mentioned that their amp worked fine before they installed the GT 6L6B. What made it especially scary is that putting in the old tubes did not fix the problem, so I strongly recommended that people avoid this tube. I know that Fender uses the GT-6L6B/Sovtek 5881WXT as the OEM power tube, however, the problems weren't from stock tubes but from replacements. All I know about it is that the "typical power ranges from 20 to 25 watts," which couldn't be more ambiguous. I still recommend staying away from these tubes for the simple reason that there are far better replacements for the cash, in my opinion.
    If you use any of these tubes, do not be surprised if the tubes go and the amp goes with them.

6. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the great info Tap! I better save these 6l6g's for a rainy day.....This 210 came loaded with "Ruby Tubes" Power and preamp(except an old RCA) in the 12AT7position.I'd like to try to get even more clean headroom out of the amp. Should I try some Power tubes first, or preamp? All suggestions?
    PS, ordered the MOD tank today!

7. tap4154

Early breakup/lack of headroom is not a complaint I've ever seen about a RK Super. I haven't been anywhere I could turn mine up loud enough to even get close to breakup on the clean channel. They're usually pretty clean. Maybe it's the Ruby Tubes, or one of them going out? I still have the stock tubes in mine, believe it or not. But it was only occasionally used for quite a few years, as I used smaller amps at home. You'll love that MOD tank. Well worth the cash!

You may want to ask in the Amp Central section about the tubes. Some amp builders post there and should have some ideas for you.

8. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

Just installed the MOD Tank. I'm blown away at the difference.
    What was the footswitch that came with this amp? I'd like to be able to switch the verb on and off. Or, did the footswitch just change channels?

9. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

The switch is a simple one switch on/off job that just changes channels - doesn't affect the reverb. I agree it would be nice to switch the reverb on/off.

10. goodlordhelpme

goodlordhelpme TDPRI Member

Very interesting to see all the comments about this line of amps. I received a Super 112 as a gift back in 1992. As far as i know I'm the only owner. I gigged with it a few times but given its heft and power, it didn't see much action so it's really in mint condition.

Overall I like the sounds I'm able to coax out of it. Given its age & lack of value at this time, I probably will hang on to it.

Thanks for all the info, based on what I read in this string, I may make some mods & see if I can use it for a gig I have next month.

11. thebigv57

thebigv57 NEW MEMBER!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my Fender Super Rack. This the rackmount version Mark was talking about. I picked it up at a fleamarket with the 8 rack SKB case and all new Mesa Boogie tubes for 225.00 a couple of years ago. It plays and sounds great. I run it through a 4 12 celestion cabinet. I will post a video of it in the near future.

12. thebigv57

thebigv57 NEW MEMBER!

I believe this is the super 60 version of the rack and I do infact have both pull knobs.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

+1...Wow!! what a steal..... enjoy...:D

I just had the local 12yr old guitar kid over... I was doing some work on an old Magnum strat he got at a garage sale....
    He likes the gain channel on my 210..... he had the gain at 10 and the volume at about a half!... not even on 1... and this magnum sounded scarily good...:twisted:

there was no way you could get to V1 on the dial.. before rattling the house...:eek:
    even with the gain down to 5.... it's strong...

normally I play clean channel on V6 and it's just right for the house... no rattles in the cutlery draw,etc....

Man!.. the gain channel at 1/2 V with a lot of gain... sounds twice as loud! and everything in the house is shaking.....it's a monster...
    you'd have to be in a mighty big place to explore the volume on that gain channel.... it's scary..... :twisted:

can I put a different pre amp tube in the gain section?... one less hot..it seems silly to only use so little of the Volume sweep..... an ay7 instead of an ax7 or something?...

14. deathstarr

deathstarr NEW MEMBER!

fender super 60 combo

Hi,

Just got a fender super 60 combo - could you tell which type of footswitch will work - tried a couple with no effect - i did have the drive channel disengaged as per the spec. Perhaps the input is not working. If anyone can post a pic of the original footswitch that would be cool.

thanks - love the amp btw. As per other threads the clean channel could be louder and a master volume would be nice. that being said the tone from the amp is very nice indeed and the overdrive channel set about 3-4 is nice and as loud as im ever likley to need for gigs.

15. Manolian

Manolian Tele-Meister

:) Congrats I have one too, & just installed a new Jensen C12K speaker in it , great tone.

16. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

congrats Deathstarr. a simple generic on/off switch is all you need and what I use. They can be found in various places like here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-H470. If that doesn't work it could be the jack is bad, or that it's somehow disconnected inside. I can't imagine it's the latter, so I would focus on the jack (they are really cheap to begin with). Try to clean it using Caig Deoxit. Spray the deox on the plug, and work it in and out out the jack. If that fails you'll need to open it up - or have a tech fix it.

17. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

Im still loving this amp! Mine is the 210 version and now Im wondering what speakers I might try for an upgrade. Anyone car to share?

18. In Tune

In Tune TDPRI Member

Still looking for Speaker replacement advice, the original 2x10s are sounding old(but still quite nice)but the lowend is getting loose..I need speakers that would handle a large array of dirt pedals including fuzz. Ive looked over the webers, but don't know which one would be best. Any help is appreciated.

19. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

you may want to post your query in Amp Central. the 210 version doesn't seem to bve very common so folks with speaker swapping experience in that amp may be few and far between. My fav speaker in my 1x12 is the Cannabis Rex, but doubt there's a 10" equiv.

20. tap4154

My 210 has the stock speakers and they still sound great, and I've never seen anyone refer to changing speaker in the Super 210.

I'd just look and ask around to folks who have Pro Juniors and other amps with 10" speakers for advice. May want to put two different speakers in as well. Ragin Cajun's and Ramrods are great, but have 30 oz magnets, and would add a few lbs to an already heavy amp.

I'd be interested to hear what you end up with and how they work out :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.