1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Super 60,112 & 210 Owners!

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by mattdean4130, Feb 17, 2010.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

2. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Haha yep! It's wayyyyy more firepower than I need, but I'm just starting to get the bug.

I'll let you know if the seller replies about the speaker....Palm Springs is a road trip for me, so unless you or someone else tells me it's a no-brainer I prob won't go and see/buy it.

Dan

3. tap4154

No I’m not looking to buy, I have a Super 210. Was just checking on craigslist to see what they had and saw that one. By the way they do sound good at lower volume, but they are heavy. If you’re just looking for something for home, it would be fine.

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Kind of embarrassing to admit, but I've had my Super Champ x2 for a month or so and absolutely love it. But as I learn about it and other amps, I want put that knowledge to use and score a stellar deal.

Human nature, I guess.

5. tap4154

Well, just keep an eye out. Love my Super 210, but there's plenty of other tube amps to enjoy and lust after that can be had for reasonable prices. I have a few other tube amps I really enjoy too.

6. azfatboy

azfatboy TDPRI Member

That is a okay deal, but not a steal. As @tap4154 said, if it has been fully serviced, that would make it a better deal, although a non-original speaker reduces the value proposition for me a little bit...

And don't discount your SCX2. That is a great little amp.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  7. WorshipGuitarGuy

WorshipGuitarGuy TDPRI Member

I love mine, it’s delicious!

8. Oldnobodaddy

Oldnobodaddy NEW MEMBER!

Hey all. So happy to stumble across this thread - my Super 60 is my first and only amp, an heirloom from my Dad that I've shaped my whole sound around. Been gigging it strong for 15 years and wouldn't have it any other way. The red knobs don't get nearly enough love!

I'm hoping the hive mind can help me with a problem that has sprung up - one of the Super 60's plastic input jacks finally crapped out on me, which I saw coming thanks to years of forum lurking. But when I tried to use the second input, I started getting crazy RF interference. I've dealt with minor interference before with this amp, but now it was blasting a local radio station, loud and clear.

I took it in to a local tech, explained the radio signal issue and the jack problem, and settled in for the wait.

Cut to a week later, I swing by on my lunch break to pick up my amp. Get it to my practice space after work and the RF interference is still present. The jack is fixed, but I'm still blasting top 40 jams whenever I'm not plucking away.

I tried different and better shielded cables, different wall sockets, moving the amp to a different location (in the space and across town) and still get the same problem. Anyone else run into this issue? Any ideas on a solution?

I'm most likely going to take it back to the tech, but seeing as he didn't chase down the problem the first time I'm wary of his ability to crack the case. Might try to find another repair guy, but either way, I'd like to have some possible solutions to throw at him if this is something that's happened to other red knob super owners.

Any and all advice, suggestions, and the-same-thing-happened-to-me stories are greatly appreciated.

And long live the Super 60, 112, & 210 Owners thread - to 20 pages and beyond!

9. azfatboy

azfatboy TDPRI Member

Well, I couldn't agree more. In addition to the Super 210 project I found last year (still not fixed, but I'll be getting around to it shortly), I also just got a Super 60 combo to call my own (I'll try and throw up a pic shortly). So the only red knob Super I don't yet have is the head! To be honest, I am not sure why I have such a soft spot for these finicky things, but I can't keep my hands off 'em!

As for your problem, I am going to be useless, sorry. :(

10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

11. ohiostate98

ohiostate98 TDPRI Member

Longtime lurker here. I almost bought that amp but opted for a Super 112 which was about $100 cheaper and in good shape (other than a bad grill cloth job). Anyway, thanks to all who contributed to this thread and helped me make a great decision! C0E2C522-4FB1-482B-B5C4-B654C1D766BD.jpeg

12. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

As of today, owner of a one-time dead 210, that's now the only functioning Super 212 combo I know of.

Bought a DOA Fender FM212. Tried to fix it. Replaced about a dozen varying blown resistors, then found out that Fender had declared these DNR for a reason. Left me with an FM212 cabinet and a boat anchor. After some varying strategies and suggestions from the folks here, including looking at wiring a 5e3, I decided to buy a different amp and transplant the guts into the FM212 chassis. Got a good deal on a broken Super 210--had a couple of pots snapped off, missing all the tubes, knobs, reverb, and out of its cabinet, but it was pretty damn cheap. Ended up repairing the 210 in its own chassis, and transplanting all of it into an empty headshell, but couldn't fit the reverb in.

Finally had one of those moments. Looked at the Super 210 chassis that was now working but didn't fit in its box. Looked at the empty 212 cabinet. Looked at a ruler. After applying these things to each other, and then drilling a couple of holes, now I have a FrankenAmp Super 212. Mwahahaha.

Threw new TAD glass in it (well, except for the reverb driver, that's a Philips 12AT7 I had on hand), a new MOD tank, and a set of Legend 1218's I had sitting around.

Love the cleans. Love, love, love the cleans. Tone has a recording-level 3D characteristic that, to my ears, is a "best of both worlds" between a silverface Twin and a SS Princeton Chorus. Articulate without being sterile, but under control with just a touch of warm-mids bounce. The 1218 works EXTREMELY well in this combo, had them in a different higher-gain 212 and they just never delivered the goods, but this is a great matchup.

Not loving the overdrive so far--grainy, spitty, just too ragged for my taste, especially since this is really a single channel and the EQ is shared. On the edge tones are so-so, the notes don't break up so much as they fall apart, and the dynamics (I'm a light touch) are too broad for me--I have to dig in to get that distorted overlay, but it goes from clean to nasty with very little space in between. Maybe just a learning curve thing but my Voxes do that same tone much better and in a more controllable fashion.

Still need to find knobs I like, and come up with a way to fill the 2" gaps on either side of the chassis, but it's a winner! Onward and upward.

13. tap4154

Sounds great! Way to make lemonade out of lemons! You might try a 5751 in V1. I did that in my Super 210, and the overdrive actually sounds much better now.

14. ohiostate98

ohiostate98 TDPRI Member

A new MOD tank did wonders for my reverb. Anyway, congrats on keeping that beast alive!

15. FMajor7add9

FMajor7add9 TDPRI Member

Came by here while looking up FM 210r info.
    The 2 inputs make sense for 2 students plugging in and the fx loop return makes it usable in a larger dry-wet rig.

Had the 112+ a few years ago, they went for around €150 locally then which seems steep today. But great amp in any case.

Will read the whole thread eventually, just chipping in for any following along and happy to receive pointers from you already re. mods and rep and such. Gonna need a tapered pot for the clean channel volume at least.

(I am also a Vox Pathfinder keeper for life and no regrets getting more nice allround sturdy transistors)

16. UncleGizmo

UncleGizmo TDPRI Member

Late to the party here, but have a Super 112 (red knobs). Bought it used and had it cleaned/tuned by a tech who made sure the circuit board had good solder flows.

Other than that, the neat thing I found out about the amp is to use the tone as the pre-amp. I put the volume on the channels at near max (start with the tone stack at 0). Then dial in bass/mid/treble for the volume and tone you want. Gives it great headroom and just a bit of breakup when hit hard. Sweet tone!

17. tap4154

Yep, once you understand how the tone stack works, you can really do some interesting things with the amp. The treble, mid and bass all cut volume when you turn them down to zero. If you want really clean, you turn them up and turn the main volume down. And as you learned, if you want more dirt, turn the main volume up and the tone controls down, and just use one if you want. You could just turn up the mid, then add a little treble and bass to taste. It's an interesting amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.