1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Super 60,112 & 210 Owners!

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by mattdean4130, Feb 17, 2010.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

First came across the super 60 at a recording studio and the engineer there said it recorded really well. It did indeed - I used it on that session. He also said there were very few sold in the UK and that he'd played another that was nothing like it and he'd heard they varied. Each time I recorded there I used it for something. I always had in mind that it was a High end amp. Then I saw one advertised locally for £210 it sounded great so I snapped it up.

For years I played this in unison with my Marshall 50 stack the Marshall providing the beef and gain and the super 60 just breaking up in the gain channel set a little brighter. I also used a 2x12 Celestion greenback cab as an extension for it for stage spread. Then I swapped it out for the DRRI and it has been a backup amp ever since.

Recently I dug it out and took it to my amp tech. It was working fine except the reverb was weak. I asked him to retube it get the reverb better and brighter and tweak it it make it sound as good as he could and more vintage.

Wow. He put JJs in there rewired the reverb and tweaked the caps or some other stuff to tame the lower mid hump and make the top end is so much sweeter. The Gain channel is now lovely and is extremely flexible. I've swapped it out sometimes with the DRRI just for the hell of it and my second guitarist has been using it sometimes and every time he uses it I think it sounds so much better than his regular Fender Hot Rod.

It's also worth mentioning That the clean channel is very pure and clean and has huge headroom and takes pedals pretty we'll. I've even used the POD3 set for bassman vibro and others in the clean channel with good results. This is a very loud amp indeed.

I recently swapped out the knobs for black ones took off the super 60 logo and used a silicon based car product to blacken the covering. Looks like a mystery Fender combo now ;)

reading the above thread I now really fancy getting a Rex for it. I thought the stock did a pretty good job myself but everything can be improved.

Anyone one tried and kept another speaker in this and if so how was it better than stock?

2. rze99

And here she is..

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      58.8 KB
      Views:
    Keep on Truckin likes this.
  3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that info....I've had mine since new, and funnily enough it's been a lesser used backup to the DRRI I bought roughly 5 years ago. Mine is totally stock everything except the switchcraft jacks I put in. Great little (heavy) amp that I will likely never part with

4. rze99

Yeah the stock sockets were a clear cost cutting measure. Pretty much everyone's broke on these I think.

Forgot to mention that the amp tech spent some time setting the bias too. I personally think the JJs give it a sweeter top end as I seem to be able to dial in a little more top without the cut offending.

I put this and the DRRI side by side once to try to get the Super 60 settings as close the DRRI as possible and, using a bit of a GE7 pedal as well as the amp EQ, I got surprising close. Should have photo'd those settings.

Also by the way, the tech got the reverb working beautifully and it's now a lovely warm and quite long effect. If it had always sounded this good I swear I might not have shelled out the DRRI!

5. Dean04

Dean04 TDPRI Member

another super 60 owner

I have a combo and rack head. The head I bought new in 88..the combo i just found on craigslist for 250.00. It replaces the combo I bought new around 1990 and wished I never sold. Although they are heavy, they are very solid amps!! I run the rack head through a single 12 evm theil port cabinet. The clean channel will not break up and the dirt channel has more than enough gain. I usually keep the gain set at 5.5 to 6 and solo with an overdrive pedal. The plastic input jacks are weak and Ive broken three on the back panel. My tech is currently swapping all of the jacks out. I have giged steadily for 20 yrs using this set up and love it. I also own a mesa studio preamp with a 50/50 power amp and a peavey classic 50 2-12. I always seem to find my way back to the super 60 when I stray :)

6. bluesmain

bluesmain TDPRI Member

designed in brea...LO .SERIAL NUMBER

WERE THEY BUILT IN LAKE OSWEGO ????????

confused about that

all the LO amps seem to be exceptional

7. adam79

adam79 Tele-Meister

Super 210 Tubes

i scored a free super 210. I checked the tubes; they're pretty lame.. Two Sovtek 5881 WXT's, no name, made one China 12AT7 n two Sovtek 7025's. Any suggestions on replacements? I don't have unlimited money for NOS tubes, but I'm sure there's still lots of room for improvement. I want the best clean sound I can get w/ a pedal for dirt.

Thanks,
    Adam

8. adam79

adam79 Tele-Meister

I'm trying to figure out what each of the preamp tubes are used for...My hunch is that the 12AT7 is the PI, while the 7025's are gain stages. Please inform me on the correct uses of each preamp tube. Thanks. I've already replaced the no name, "made in china" 12AT7 w/ a NOS '80 Mullard CV4024 KQDD/K (However, I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it). I'd like to replace the 7024's with either a Raytheon Windmill, RCA blackplate and/or CBS Hytron (I might swap the 12AT7 Mullard mentioned above for a 12AT7 Hytron). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As far as power tubes go, I mainly want to use the clean channel on this amp w/ a pedal for the dirt (either a Japan made DS-1 or OG Sans Amp Classic.

Thanks,
    -Adam

9. adam79

adam79 Tele-Meister

Are you referring to the Sylvania STR375 6l6GC's? I had a quad of those come in an old Peavey I used to have. Amazing sounding tubes. I wish I replaced them before selling the amp; a Quad of 375s have a $700 asking price on eBay now! That's triple from a few years ago when I sold the Peavey!

10. Juiced

Juiced TDPRI Member

I got a Creig's list find today and it got more interesting as I tore into this 92 Super 112.

It was owned by a Mom that passed away and I let her folks know I was going to clean it up (it was only dusty) and keep it to use and enjoy. I tried it out and was "allowed" to purchase it after a short audition with my Tele Short scale. They had been offered cash from the local music store, but wanted it to go to someone that would enjoy it like their Mom did. I felt honored to own such a cool amp. (I also am a good judge of character and these folks were the real deal). I have had and have many a Fender, but this one has a cool history that was worth the drive and the time to hear the story's of how she treasured it and enjoyed the music that it produced. Everything on it was original...even the tubes!

[​IMG]

I was cool to find a signature and various numbers on it from someone I assume was at Fender.

[​IMG]

The power tubes were so worn out the bases were loose. The Reverb tank sounded muddy and was replaced with an old original unit.
    I had enough used tubes to get a very sweet sound from it and have been playing it for the last hour or two. New tubes are on order.

This one is a keeper.

11. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

good score
    I wish I has the 112 rather than the 210
    I just can't get "my sound" out of 10" speakers

12. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

I just sold my Fender 210
    as said above, I just couldn't get "my sound" from it

13. brazitele

brazitele NEW MEMBER!

I have a Super 112 for sale. In great shape, just got professionally serviced and cleaned up. It's local with me in MA. If anyone is interested in buying (prefer local pick up but will ship), please reply back here or send me a message.

I'm the original owner (have had it since 1992) and love the amp but the need to clear out some space at home.

Asking price is $400 but am negotiable. Thanks!

14. roncg41677

roncg41677 Tele-Meister

So glad to have found this thread!

I just picked up a Super 112 at a pawn shop for $125. I agree, the clean sound is amazing. I love using an amps OD channel, and the Super 112's just seems very bassy and "loose". If I palm mute the low strings it's very fuzzy. Does this sound characteristic, or could it just need some new tubes?

15. Juiced

Juiced TDPRI Member

Great score!

Hard to say without listening to it. I generally plan on new tubes, at least power tubes, for any tube amp I purchase (sometimes even new amps).
    The Super 112 I got had tubes in it that were so old the power tubes glass has loosened them selves from the base...

Talk about tube rattle!!

16. Tele Taff

Tele Taff NEW MEMBER!

Fender Super 60 Owner... Yet Another!!!

image.jpg

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site and group, so will apologise if this question has previously been asked.

After recently picking up a mint condition Super 60 1x12 combo (red knob), I couldn't help but notice the incredible weight of the amp, compared to it's dimensions. It still has the original blue label (Eminence?) speaker and I wondered if anyone has an idea of the weight of the speaker alone?

My initial priority was to have the amp checked over by a local amp tech, and to ask him to replace the "slack/loose" jack input sockets! He was really impressed by the condition and apparent lack of use it seems to have had. When I mentioned the weight of the amp, he mentioned the new Jensen Neodymium Tornado speaker which he felt would be much lighter, and that would subsequently reduce the amp's overall weight!

My question is, therefore, has anyone tried this mod... and realistically, how much of a reduction in weight do you think it would achieve. I think the amp is a "keeper" and I would obviously not want to dispose of the original speaker, but for practical purposes, I would really like it to weigh a little less for the sake of my poor decrepit back!!! :eek:

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know the weight of the stock 12", but it's a great speaker. Same one they used in Twin Reverbs at the time. Lots of weight in the trannies and MDF cabinet. You can put some casters on it (I just used heavy duty casters from the local hardware store), but if you need to carry it upstairs, that won't help. But it sure looks in great condition!

BTW, in case you haven't read the entire thread, a quick hint: The EQ pots on these actually cut volume to each frequency band, so don't use them like a regular Fender EQ circuit beginning on 5 or 6, or you'll lose a ton of volume. You can really dial in many great tones with them once you know that.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy!

18. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations and welcome....good looking Super 60 there

As far as speaker weight, I'm not sure if it will make enough of a noticeable difference. I ended up putting casters on mine like mentioned above....and I would definitely switch out those jacks to something like switchcraft

19. rze99

Suggest keep the speaker. Very capable IMO. It's a heavy cab.

20. ProCasterNation

ProCasterNation TDPRI Member

Are these hand wired amps? I know of one for sale..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.