1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Super 5-way switch fitment issues

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PeterUK, Jan 24, 2021.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Despite reading all the comments here on the TDPRI about the Fender Super 5-way switch NOT fitting a normal Tele controlplate cavity, me being me decided to denounce you all wrong and fit one anyway.

When I received by my switch from Santa Claus, I dangled it in a unfinished body and yep, I proved you're all wrong and I was right! Yah boo snobs to you lot. :p

But today the TDPRI karma Gods had their day!

What I hadn't factored in way the way the switch sits when it's screwed to a controlplate and as I screwed it in I started to reach for a towel to wipe the egg off my face.

But as I say to my team, don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.

My first solution is to wait and use it on the swamp ash body below which I got for an absolute steal in a sale. I intend to extend the controlplate cavity anyway. But....

And this is where I need input. If I order a controlplate with an angled switch slot, I reckon this would fit.

Anyone tried this?

I mocked one up against my Telemaster with an angled switch and it looks as though this could be a solution.

Apologies to the TDPRI for every doubting you. ;)

Attached Files:

2. PeterUK

Bizarrely it does fit another body I have and fits well with a pickguard.

That body is going to be a black paisley so I'll order a clear pickguard and see it it all aligns. :eek:

Attached Files:

3. PeterUK

***UPDATE***

The clear pickguard has arrived and it fits the controlplate which has the 5-way Fender Super Switch fitted.

The switch moved freely so I assume this type of switch does fit some bodies. :rolleyes:

I realise I'm talking to myself as no-one has contributed but it's here for reference.

BTW, the pickguard has a protective film from and back hence it's milky appearance.

Thanks everybody for your help. :D

Attached Files:

4. Novatuc

Novatuc Tele-Meister

I don't think the switch fits some bodies, it's more like some bodies have enough material removed for the switch to fit. There is also a single wafer super switch which works for some wiring applications.

teleplayr and PeterUK like this.
  5. PeterUK

That's right! I've got a single wafer 5-way switch in my Telemaster but I wanted to try this:

[​IMG]

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ron C and PeterUK like this.
  7. PeterUK

Thanks! I wish I'd known about this before I'd made the investment in the Fender switch.

The good news is that it does fit the body shown in the pictures above so it's not a disaster.

The not so good news is that I wanted to use it with my Fralin Jim Weider Big T set, so now I'll get the Toneshaper one and try that.

I appreciate you taking the time to post and share. :)

8. moosie

I'm always surprised that no one else has also ordered a batch of these from O-G. And I'm always thankful that Toneshapers continues to do so.

I wonder how many constitutes the minimum for a special run... hmmm.

PeterUK likes this.
  9. moosie

And before you ask, ToneShapers seems to be the ONLY source of these. I think they needed them for their own product to work, something about plug-in connectors and dip switches. So, it was apparently worth their while to special order.

I've gotten other variants over the years. I made the mistake of buying one (a regular one, so I thought) from StewMac. This was before I knew to buy the narrow one. But it's not even normal. It's hugely wide. Same construction as the others, but more space between the wafers, and the lugs seem splayed out more. It's gotta be 1.25" wide (Tele cavity is 1"). Thing is, it's an Oak-Grigsby, too. So, be careful...

PeterUK likes this.
  10. PeterUK

Ha ha! I've just checked and couldn't find one so I've ordered one from Toneshapers.

Now I've got the long wait until it arrives. :)

Thanks again. :D

moosie likes this.
  11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

I think Schaller also makes a 5-way that can do all the same things as the 4-pole SuperSwitch, and possibly more? I think they call it a MegaSwitch and has a narrow profile.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

moosie and PeterUK like this.
  12. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Noticed the same thing when changing over controls from a Squier Standard into a Squier Affinity. Even with the Affinity pickguard, the cavity needed to be routed to fit everything in place.

The bastard.

PeterUK likes this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Fits Thinlines....

IMG_20200711_181049.jpg

PeterUK likes this.
  14. PeterUK

Gene

I was going to try a Schaller Megaswitch but read more than a couple of reviews that mentioned they were very noisy so dropped the idea.

Have you tried one? Was it noisy?

15. PeterUK

16. moosie

The Schaller is indeed the same function. I don't know about noise, but I find the little solder PADS very hard to work with.

Also, I'm so used to an open frame switch. I have not used a Schaller for long enough to know, but I expect the O-G to be more reliable and long lasting.

For kicks,, I bought a modified Schaller from Eyb in Germany, that has an extra pair of wafers. Yes, eight poles. No, it won't fit a Tele :lol:.

PeterUK likes this.
  17. moosie

One thing I've noticed in my limited experience with the Schaller switches... the action is not as sharp and defined as the O-G or CRL. With those two, you get a firm >snick< when moving between positions. The handle IS the wiper. The Megaswitch feels looser. There's a tiny bit of slop. Being closed frame, I can't tell why this is, not without trashing a switch. I wonder if this is related to the noise complaints...

18. PeterUK

It's here (after a 9-day lay-off in Fort Lauderdale!) and it is essentially the same switch as the Fender Super 5-way apart from having a shorter spindle.

I'm planning to get it fitted this weekend. :)

Attached Files:

19. moosie

Yep, also, the lugs are mounted more vertical, less angled, to use less space.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.