Fender style font

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Chordophonic, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Folks,

I'd like to design my own headstock logo using a similar font to that which Fender uses - the style with a gold or silver text with a black outline, can anyon suggest a similar fon that I can download onto the iMac please?

The style used at the top of this page would probably suffice.

Cheers!

Paul

2. Chordophonic

Thanks, but that doesnt lead me to a usable font....

Paul

3. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

4. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Brush Script

5. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I've posted this before so here it is copied and pasted... It's educational:
    (ie. Google is not always your friend)

That font is just a re-named "Brush-Script". An old font that's been around since the 40s and was used by fender for the tiny countour body decal. The Fender logo was done in the same tradition as Brush script by an unknown artist.

About Brush Script:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush_Script

I'm sorry to be an annoying nerd about this, but typography is my line of work for a while now and small differences can make a big difference. It's like saying that Pizza Hut's pizza is the same as the pizza you get from a brick oven in Florence.

Just because something is called "Fender-Font" doesn't mean it is true. The fact is that font is a pirated version of "Brush-Script" that someone illegally rebranded and distributed. They did make one change. They removed brush scripts lowercase E and replaced it with the capital E resized to lowercase height, but they didn't thicken it up when they scaled it down so it looks too thin if you look at the example on the download page. (and compare it to the real deal below)

[​IMG]

6. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

The 'Fender' font I have on my system is similar, but not exactly what you've posted here, ie, 'Brush'. the 'F' , 'e's and even the 'r' are slightly different. But as my sainted grandmother might say, "Jesus Pete it's a homemade guitar, just call it close a _ _ _ _ing nuff will ya." ;)

Going back to the OP I think he might agree.

I'd like to design my own headstock logo using a similar font to that which Fender uses

7. PumpJockey

OK, type nerds, Brush Script is a typeface, not a font. "Fonts" are the variations within that typeface: light, thin, bold, condensed, italic, etc.

Not sure if Brush Script has any variations, so in this case one term equals the other.

Sorry, but 15 years in the printing business will do this to you...

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Would you consider one of these two options, I think they lead to more desirable results:

1) Get JBennett (above) to make you some decals.
    2) Actually design the text/typeface/font (delete as correct) yourself, using graphic design software. I am far from an expert, but managed this with CorelDraw:

[​IMG]

Using these threads to learn along the way:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/264248-how-make-headstock-decals.html

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/214826-waterslide-decals-question.html

And, as JBennett knows, I did steal his 'B', cos I couldn't get it right without his....

9. Chordophonic

This is exactly what I am looking for!

[​IMG]

Paul

10. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

This may have been true once, but as less printing is done the old fashioned way and more by computer means, laser assisted etc, "Fonts" has become more universally accepted. In computer speak, which is now the current language of the printing industry, different typefaces are called fonts. Computers have font directories, fonts are purchased or downloaded as "fonts". Evolving language, I guess. Twenty years in the graphic design industry'll do that to ya. ;)

11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Brush Script MT (a Monotype face) and its copies and clones are as close as you're going to get, but the actual Fender logo isn't in any typeface; it was hand-drawn and if you look carefully you'll see that the two "e" characters are different. All fully discussed in that earlier thread.

However, the JWells logo in the pic is Brush Script, with a thickened outline (a.k.a. stroke) and no fill - the face wasn't designed to appear like that. It's come out sort of all-right-ish, but look at where the second "l" joins the "s". To me that's an ugly join and I would have spent some time in a vector app such as Corel or Illustrator making that ligature flow smoothly from one character to the next. It isn't as easy as it might seem but it can be done with a bit of thought and practice.

If you do have a go at something like that, make sure you back up your work frequently and at every stage - it can save much time and heartache if anything goes wrong.

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Wasn't he a guy on Happy Days? The Fonts.....:) AAAAAAEEEEE

13. Tony474

There's always one... ;) :rolleyes:

14. Chordophonic

In case anyone else needs to know the one above is

Brush Script Hollow

I had been searching for "outline" fonts........and should have searched for "hollow",a little knowledge of terminology makes such a difference!

Paul

15. Tony474

If you have a vector drawing application such as CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, Freehand or similar, you can apply your own custom outlines and fills (i.e. colours) to any typeface as well as doing other stuff to alter its appearance if you wish. If you use a face that is already "hollow" like that your options are far more limited.

16. PumpJockey

Everything about typography is a throwback to earlier technologies. We still talk about "leading" between lines because letterpress printing used thin shims of lead in between, etc etc. I suppose these young whippersnappers call it "line spacing". Harrumph.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.