Fender Stratocaster Plus value?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 2HBStrat, Jul 13, 2020.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

A former neighbor is kinda hinting about selling me her deceased husband's 90's Strat Plus. While I don't need it it would be nice to have. I haven't seen it...only a pic...but it looks to be in really good condition, and I imagine it is, knowing him. It's the purple color...I think maybe Fender called it something else, though, and it may even be a Strat Plus Deluxe, which had three different lace sensors instead of all gold.

Anyway, I know the info isn't great but any idea of a fair price that wouldn't be disrespectful?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ll shoot from the hip, and say $700-1,000 IF there’s no major issues.
    They have their fans, but the “rank and file” generally aren’t too into Laces Sensors and fancy mechanical nuts.
    A lot of those had multi piece bodies with laminates on the front and back.
    On the plus side, the pickups are largely hum-free, and the nuts indeed work well if you are a whammy bar user.
    Though I know it’s not exactly the same guitar, I had a Jeff Beck from the era, and it performed perfectly.

2HBStrat and Bruxist like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

These are starting to command big $$$
    Check the expert's site

https://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html

COLOR plays a huge role in the final price ,some rare ones are now close to 3K.

These are the best strats ever anyhow so if you can buy them for around EUR 1000- EUR 1800 you won't loose.

Personally I buy "each and everyone" I see under EUR 1300 ,I believe they are one of the few modern Fenders that will command big $$ in 10-20 years

4. Telesaurous Rex

Telesaurous Rex TDPRI Member

They have their place. I really liked the sound of mine. Very quiet. No 60 cycle hum. Eventually sold it because of the skinny modern C neck.

As far as price goes the color is a big factor. This guitar has it's followers.

2HBStrat likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bought one two years ago from the original owner with the original hang tags and case. It was in superb condition. I paid $500 or 550. A bargain I will admit. But I was able to flip it for something like $800 fairly fast.
    I would think the purple would be a plus to have or resell, being unusual. Mine was a sunburst.

2HBStrat likes this.
  6. Santiago

Santiago TDPRI Member

I love mine, bought it cheap as it was heavily used. The combination of the noiseless pickups, locking tuners, micro tilt neck and metallic nut make it very usable in all sorts of situations. It's probably the guitar I play the most. I suppose due to the body being made of poplar, swimming pool routing and lace sensor pick-ups it's not for traditionalists, but I love it.

2HBStrat likes this.
  7. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

2HBStrat and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I went through a couple of them and still have my '96. i didn't like the early Wilkinson nuts, but love the LSR nut that went on in '94. The Gold Lace pickups are a compressed tone, so either you like it or hate it...I tend to like it. One of the great benefits is the mid-range boost (on the Clapton models anyway) which is nice feature not found on many strats.

The Wilkinson nut could be an issue since you are stuck with using light gauge strings, but the LSR is an excellent design.

I really do not like Strats all that much anymore, but I will always keep that Strat-Plus for those times when I just need a Strat. Mine is just in black, so a more unique color like that is a good addition.

I purchased mine from the original owner about 7 years ago. It had been sitting in the case under his bed for about 5 years. It still used the red label key-shaped case (my favorite factory case) and had the original case candy from Sweetwater. I paid $800 back then. I would think that is still about the low end of where they belong. Maybe as high as a grand in a unique color if in excellent condition.

2HBStrat and ahiddentableau like this.
  9. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Prices have definitely gone up in the least several years. The ones in good shape and/or desirable colours often go for above a grand now, even on eBay. As mentioned above, the colour tends to carry a lot of weight, so I'd check xhefriguitars' list to get an idea of the relative availability of the purple model. In any case even if it's more common colour if it's in decent shape I wouldn't offer less than $800 without feeling guilty about it.

I agree with this.

I'll sing the model's praises, too. I think it's likely that if any 90s strats are going to be sought after in the future I think it's going to be the first AVRIs, some of the early signature models (the Clapton and Beck models come to mind) and the Plus/Plus Deluxe. My fav guitar is a late 90s Plus Deluxe and it's fantastically playable. They tend to have thin modern C shaped necks, and many of them have unusually slender shoulders. That is, to put it mildly, a love/hate characteristic, but I absolutely love it. I also love the wide low frets (mine were .104" x .42") even if they are Gibsonesque. Far and away the fastest neck I've ever found on a Fender. They also have a great satin poly finish on the neck that's my favourite neck finish ever (save maybe the roasted/oil finish on newer EBMMs). I like the Lace Sensors and and I like the LSR roller nut (as opposed to the earlier Wilkinson, which I find too big and sharp--too much like the locking nuts on old school Floyd Rose systems). The Fender Floyd Rose has the best characteristic of any Floyd of which I am aware: it's easy to change out! You can swap out the Fender Floyd Rose (if equipped with that style of bridge) for a more conventional model without any modifications to the guitar, which is what I did on mine (I use a Gotoh 510 series now).

The only things I don't love about them are 1) the thick poly finish on the body and 2) the weight. Mine is well over 9lbs and most of them that I have played are in the 9-10lb range. Definitely heavy for a strat. But if you can deal with that they are fantastic.

2HBStrat and Milspec like this.
  10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I concur. I am not much into 'modern' Strats but these are pro-spec beautifully made instruments. I love the early Laces and this is a go anywhere, do anything guitar.

I don't believe they had multipiece laminated bodies or bathtub routs.

Edit: some other people said they did so I accept that's so. The couple I played had no join lines. One was a metallic pewter that was gorgeous. Great 'alive' guitar even at bedroom noodling volumes.

Everything on them from pickguard to tuners was a step up.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    2HBStrat and Milspec like this.
  11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

When I married for the second time we already had everything we needed, so asked that any wedding gifts be in the form of cash. Friends could either give to one of two charities or to us. We commissioned a sculpture, my wife bought a ring, and I would buy every guitar I ever wanted. The plan was to buy a used guitar, enjoy it for six months or a year, sell it and buy the next one. As you would expect that plan was destined to go wrong, but back in 2002 I bought the first guitar, a red Strat Plus. LSR nut, 2 point term, Lace Sensors (red, white and blue?), Swimming pool rout in immaculate condition. It cost me £400 including shipping from Germany. A year later I sold it for £475. At the time a US standard in average condition would have sold for a similar price. I kept an eye on them for a few years afterwards and prices seemed to be in line with the US standard, which always seemed to be a bargain to me. A very nice guitar if you like that sort of thing.

2HBStrat likes this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

See through finishes did (like the American stds) have them at some point.

Mine is extremely light (7.2 lbs) and a friend's is even lighter but they are both solid colours.

Usually multiple pieces of wood and a laminate on top results in heavy bodies.

Did I mention that I adore the Lace Sensors?
    :)

2HBStrat likes this.
  13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Bruxist likes this.
  14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Check the "Sold" listings on Reverb & Ebay.

2HBStrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.