Fender Squier CV '60s review

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
After being Stratless for a few years I had a hankering for something like a MIJ '60s Reissue. I didn't want to spend too much and the MIJ ones that were available were commanding a higher price than I was prepared to pay, so after a bit of researching I settled on a s/h Classic Vibe Strat in CAR, not dissimilar to the one attached.

When it arrived, it was immaculate for a s/h guitar. Let it acclimatise for a few hours then had a go. The guitar is light, probably mostly due to the Nato body. It's natural, acoustic tone is weak. Not to worry, let's plug her in.

The pickups are marked up 'PTP 10xx', A5 staggered. I'm really not impressed with them, especially in the in-between positions. And singularly, they all have what I could call a mid-range prominence. However, I also noted that pickups were quite closer to the strings that I would normally have a Start set up, so they will be getting lowered after the new mint green 'plate arrives. There's a CRL switch which I noticed right away (plus marks for that); the pots are mini but travel well. The control knobs look like cheap control knobs and seem slightly smaller than I recall Start knobs being.

Never knew about the strings spacing but that's now been altered with the arrival of a MIM Big Block trem/bridge.

But what's really disappointed me the most is the neck. It looks the part but it feels like wooden ruler. It was advertised as 'C' shape but this is the shallowest 'C' shape I've ever played.

It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's far from great. It's just.....meh.

Attachments

• CVSTrat.jpg
    CVSTrat.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 47

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Feel the same. I've had all the CV models and they have all come and gone because of the necks. The worse was the 60s tele, the bound one. It made my 60s CV strat neck almost feel normal. Thinnest neck i have ever felt.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
After being Stratless for a few years I had a hankering for something like a MIJ '60s Reissue. I didn't want to spend too much and the MIJ ones that were available were commanding a higher price than I was prepared to pay, so after a bit of researching I settled on a s/h Classic Vibe Strat in CAR, not dissimilar to the one attached.

When it arrived, it was immaculate for a s/h guitar. Let it acclimatise for a few hours then had a go. The guitar is light, probably mostly due to the Nato body. It's natural, acoustic tone is weak. Not to worry, let's plug her in.

The pickups are marked up 'PTP 10xx', A5 staggered. I'm really not impressed with them, especially in the in-between positions. And singularly, they all have what I could call a mid-range prominence. However, I also noted that pickups were quite closer to the strings that I would normally have a Start set up, so they will be getting lowered after the new mint green 'plate arrives. There's a CRL switch which I noticed right away (plus marks for that); the pots are mini but travel well. The control knobs look like cheap control knobs and seem slightly smaller than I recall Start knobs being.

Never knew about the strings spacing but that's now been altered with the arrival of a MIM Big Block trem/bridge.

But what's really disappointed me the most is the neck. It looks the part but it feels like wooden ruler. It was advertised as 'C' shape but this is the shallowest 'C' shape I've ever played.

It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but it's far from great. It's just.....meh.

That's an absolutely beautiful Strat! I think it will look great with a mint pickguard.

If you're not satisfied with the pickups, there are some great replacements that won't break the bank.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
That's an absolutely beautiful Strat! I think it will look great with a mint pickguard.

If you're not satisfied with the pickups, there are some great replacements that won't break the bank.
Yeh, put an aged minty and aged pots covers on. The MIM Big Block doesn't bring as much change in resonance as I expected, and the trem arm that came with is impossible to use: it's aimed at the moon! Again, it's just an OK guitar. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Attachments

• 20220807_122123.jpg
    20220807_122123.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 33

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
It has always been disappointing to me that even what is supposed to be a larger vintage neck in the Squier lineup is still a very skinny neck.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Yes, the slim neck is annoying.

I ended up heating the MIM trem arm and bending it into as useful position.

That aside, it's grown on me, this guitar. Had it up for sale, had some interest, then last night I played it again....and had some fun. The rear tone affects the rear pup as well as the middle, and when in in-between positions there's some interesting tones available. So, she stays.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Yes, I don't completely understand why they don't offer a Squier with a thicker neck.
No one but the marketing team knows the truth. But my belief is that it's the thin neck that the purposely do to insure the squiers don't interfere too much with sales of higher end models. Truth is, on every forum there have been never ending posts from players citing the thin necks as being a dealbreaker. Yet no other feature about them is mentioned to nearly that degree as a negative, and aside from that many people rave about them in all other respects. The trems on the squier strats aren't great, but they aren't what put so many people off of squiers like the thin necks. I am a great example of this speculation...like i said in an earlier post, i like the squier classic vibes and have owned every model including the duo sonic even but ended up selling all of them due to the necks. Some i absolutley loved in many ways but the neck always made me sell them in the end. And like i said, it's THE most common complaint about them, so i really believe thats the way fender insures they don't cause higher end lines to take too much of a hit. Just MO. But with normal sized necks some of those CVs i have had would have been spectacular at 4 times the price.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
It is not supposed to have a thicker neck. Squier does not do reissues. The Classic Vibes have the look of 50s/60s/70s Fenders but modern features that most people prefer, like thinner c-shaped necks with 9.5" radius fretboards. And if the marketing people at Fender started listening to the small minority of people that want baseball necks, they'd piss off the vast majority who don't. They are not newbies.

Given that Fender-style guitars can have the necks changed so easily, and given how desirable those necks are on the used market (ask Stratosphere), why not have Warmoth build you a baseball bat neck for your CV and sell your coveted CV neck on eBay?

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
The neck on my 1996 MIA Lonestar is thinner than my 2012 MIC Classic Vibe 60s Strat. I have no problem playing either and I do have several other Strats (and Teles) with thicker necks. Some folks are very sensitive to neck thickness and some are not - same with fretboard radius.