Fender Special Edition Road Worn Hot Rod Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KelvinS1965, Jun 9, 2017.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've been looking for a Telecaster with a neck humbucker/standard bridge single coil and came across this new model. It doesn't appear to be in stock in any of the usual UK shops that I frequently browse (at least 'virtually' ;) ) yet.

I'm wondering if there is a near equivalent model(s) that I could try that would give me a better idea of what the neck is like and also what the neck humbucker would sound like? I'm considering a pre order, but would prefer to buy with a bit more knowledge.

I'm thinking that one of the various Deluxe models would work for the neck humbucker in terms of sound? Not sure which model would likely have the closest spec'd neck though (it has a 'soft V' neck with a 9.5" radius). My Tele and Strat both have 7.25" radius necks, so I'd really want to make sure I'm comfortable with a different neck.

Details in this link:
    https://new.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...tion-road-worn-hot-rod-telecaster-3-tone-sunb

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

One can only hope this is also released in the US.

gtrwrks likes this.
  3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Please oh please. Now that is a nice RW>
    R

4. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

Man, that is one fine looking hot rod. Ash body, maple neck,
    7.24 rad. What's not to love. I have a limited edition wildwood.
    I changed the stock humbucker to a Van Zant coil split. Didn't like it.
    I put the stock one back in. I think it's a Seymour Duncan. It's a smooth operator. It won't take 3 minutes to fall in love....

I want it. (Don't tell the wife unit).

I just googled it. Andertons says Fender is only limited to 165 guitars. Yikes!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Very. Nice. Fender must make a mint out of those MIMs.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes I saw the 165 guitars limit too.

Where did you see the 7.24 radius though? That makes it an easier decision for me since that's what I'm used to after 34 years with my Strat.

Hope I haven't created a stampede for them and there won't be any left by the time I've decided...

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

A side question, since I figured it wasn't worth starting a new thread on it:

I had a play on my cousin's son's '58 reissue Esquire which is about 12 years old I believe, though he only got it recently. The action was perfect for me, he had 9.5 on it (I use 9s on my Fenders) but I wonder how much is just down to the build quality with it being a Custom shop guitar?

My 50s Classic tends to buzz if I lower the action as low as his, though I've ordered a set of 9.5 strings to try as well. Neither guitar has a micro-tilt adjustment, so I'm hoping with some careful set up I can achieve a similar action, unless it is down to the CS quality verses my MIM.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe that 165 applies to Europe only.

9. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

I think your right. I saw another UK outlet that you could preorder.

I think they had them aviable in Japan also. Not sure cause I don't read Japanese. :)

My mistake. I had a senior moment and didn't read your first post close enough. It is 9.25
    Not 7.25.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister

I think I would check three things, make sure your neck is straight,
    Check the frets to make sure they are level and then the tilt of the neck in relation to the guitar body. I've had to shim 2 of my Teles and one Strat. I don't think there's anything wrong with starting a new thread. Lots of help from guys in the know here.

capt pearl and KelvinS1965 like this.
  11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Tried a bunch of 9.5" radius Telecasters today to see how I get on with them, with a view to pre-ordering this Road worn model. However, I just don't like the feel compared to what I'm used to with my '57 RI Strat and 50s Classic Tele, which are 7.25". It might not seem much difference in number terms, but I just couldn't get comfortable with them...old dog/new tricks comes to mind I guess.

I did like the sound of a neck humbucker in a Tele though, so that was something worth finding out: I think I'll mod my cheapie Affinity 'Mule' (which is currently modded to be an Esquire) to have neck humbucker.

Also, thanks Hammerdog I'll re-check those points you mention when I re-string with the 9.5s. Non of the Teles I tried today had the same really low action as my cousin's son's guitar, so maybe his is a bit of an exception.

Hammerdog likes this.
  12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I had a play of this road worn model today: It confirmed that I don't get on with the 9.5" radius fingerboard and the non vintage frets, though I did like the sound of the particular neck humbucker it had fitted (more so than the one I tried in the post above), so it wasn't a wasted trip. I didn't mind the 'worn' aspect as much as I thought I might, but I think I'd still prefer a NOS model.

I'm trying to sort out something with my dealer so I can get the neck/fret specs that I seem to be favouring and perhaps a NOS White blonde finish that I'd prefer. There doesn't seem to be anything in the current catalogue that suits, so I'm looking into a Custom shop model if the price doesn't scare me off too much...

Other options being to route my 50s Classic for a neck humbucker and perhaps buy a 'better' model with the standard two single coil pick ups, something like an AV'58 if I can find one to try out.

13. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

The '72 Telecaster Custom reissue has a 7.25" neck radius, as well as the neck humbucker/bridge single coil combination you're talking about. I bought mine in 2013 and I love it!

14. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

IMG_1760.JPG

This is what my Custom looks like. (Not my photo, by the way!)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks I've seen a custom before, but not keen on the pick guard and four knobs lay out, though I've never seen one in white blonde, so might change my mind if I came across one.

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Maybe you could try to find a Fat Tele.
    My main Guitar is one of those... bought it round 1998

Nice neck humbucker, really

Clifton C likes this.
  17. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

I had the controls rewired so that there's a master volume and tone, and the other two bottom knobs are disconnected. Made all the difference to me, since I'm not a fan of Gibson-style controls. I much prefer Fender's volume/tone configuration!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Might have a lead on a custom shop option, so will see where that goes.

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Turned out the custom option was much more expensive than I'd hoped for. Last night I happened to come across a used 2008 50s Classic Tele in sunburst for a good price (by UK standards anyway). It has my prefered 7.25" neck and vintage frets (same as the one in my avatar in theory), so I will convert it to a neck humbucker and possibly to a black guard like the Hot Rod is.

Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of days. These are the dealer photos:

Front body.jpg

Back body.jpg

Front.jpg

irie and BrandonIke like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Well it came today and I've had a bit of time playing it...just the same feel as my other 50s Classic although that one is 2014 and this one is 2008, so it's a little more worn in which is good. The guitar is virtually unmarked, with only a slight bit of wear marks on some frets, so more like a 'NOS' finish. :)

Although I've bought this to convert into a Hot Rod I'm really struck by how good this sounds with the existing single coils in it. I presume they are the standard ones, but I didn't much care for the ones that were in my white 50s Classic so I swapped them for some Fender OVs I already had in an Affinity Tele. This one also has brass compensated saddles and possibly 10 gauge strings compared to the (original) steel saddles and 9.5 gauge on my white blonde. They sound different acoustically too, though that may be due to new strings on the sunburst and worn ones on the white blonde.

I'll have to do some side by side testing to decide which pickups end up in which guitar, though ultimately the 'new' one will end up with a Bareknuckle Mule humbucker I already have in the neck position. Just trying to track down a 5 hole black pickguard with a humbucker hole already cut into it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.