Fender Sonoran?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FatRosie, Jan 9, 2010.

1. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

Has anyone played/owned the Fender Sonoran? They LOOK so darned cool.... the neck seems like it would be pretty comfortable, and you gotta love the headstock. How do they sound? Did you like it?

2. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

For what it's worth to anyone... I will answer my own question. I just went to check out the Sonoran, both the acoustic and the acoustic/electric versions.

IT IS H O R R I B L E.

I cannot believe Fender would let its name go on these guitars. I cannot believe Fender would let its Strat-style headstock go on these pieces of J U N K.

The acoustic/electric is particularly awful. It had a crack where the electronic controls are in the side -- and get this... the dealer tells me that they ALL come that way from Fender. At first he'd contact them about the flaw and ask for replacements without the crack, and Fender told him they ALL have the crack! And it's not just a surface crack -- it looks like the kind of thing that could really grow.

And the neck was already bowed. Here this guitar is in a perfectly climate-controlled acoustic guitar room, and the neck is BOWED! Everything up at the 10th fret and higher was fretting out... there were dead spots and all kinds of ugly craziness. Again, dealer tells me the necks tend to bow on these things.

The acoustic (not the acoustic/electric) was a little less pathetic, but no prize. Doesn't stay in tune. Neck doesn't feel anywhere near as good as the review I read suggested it would.

Steer clear.

3. Spearsmusic

Spearsmusic Tele-Meister

+1 had one for a week, returned it to dealer. Bowed neck, same issue.

4. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I have two of the original 80s California series acoustics, a Concord and an Avalon. Both are Japanese made and play like they cost $1000 instead of under $200.

Every reissue I've played has felt and sounded like an Esteban that was built on a Friday.

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I'm not surprised. They actually appear cheap and junky in their catalog and online ads. Maybe it's the colors, but in any event, for me, the headstock is just wrong for an acoustic.

6. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Well weren't that a fine report.

Now I smell GAS...just not the good kind,hahaha!

No wonder no one wanted to chime in about that guitar...thanks, forewarned

7. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

Okay by me

I received my Fender Sonoran 67 SCE Custom about a month ago. The neck is fine and the action is low and confortable. I like the sound and the onboard electronics work just fine for me. I realize that this is the latest Sonoran model out, and maybe better built that the others that were reviewed.

The finish is great, and the guitars stays in tune well.

I would purchase it again if the need arose.

I am satisfied.

8. Steddie

Steddie TDPRI Member

Ive got a sonoran ce from about 2004, and although it needed a good setup, its actually a pretty decent acoustic for the money. Maybe theres been a drop in quality. Also, when I got mine, it was only available in the natural finish.

9. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Capistrano is what you want

A friend of mine showed me this one a month ago and asked if I'd ever seen one. This one is a real beauty; a wonderful neck and decent sound quality. This one doesn't have any on-board electronics; I believe it was built in the 80's.

Attached Files:

10. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

That is a beauty.

11. Jerolin

Jerolin Tele-Holic

I played one about a year ago, neck was nice and comfortable, electronics were fine.

I don't own one, but the experience I had playing it was well enough.

12. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Never played an acoustic Fender that I liked..I have tried several they all stunk on ice..

13. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I have checked out a couple acoustic/electric Sonarans at music stores over the past few months. I was surprised at how good they felt and sounded for the money. I think the Fender style headstock looks very cool on an acoustic. The natural finish ones look the best. The colored ones look cheap. I did not play them electrically, only acoustically. I thought the sound was pretty decent for a guitar in this price range. If you're going to buy one, check out as many as possible and make sure you weed out any lemons.

14. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My nephew has a 90's model that is MIK and it looks a lot like Strat62's photos. I play it when I go to Chicago. It has a smaller neck than many acoustics. It isn't the greatest but I find it easy to pick up and play without much work.

I have been looking for one of the Surf editions. Had one on CL here but I just didn't want to part with 350.00 for it.

16. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have a buddy that has one, and I have played it some. Sounds pretty good and ya the neck is nice. Kinda weird playing an acoustic, and feeling an electric in your left hand.

17. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

For what it's worth, the Kingman is also very nice, although a bit more money. The neck has a similar feel. The block position markers give me a good vibe. I kind of wish I had bought one instead of the Sonoran.

18. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I liked the smaller Malibu model better, good enough to buy it but I didn't need it.
    The Sonorans were ok, set up and feel was decent but the sound just wasn't there compared to other dreds in its price range. I never plugged either in tho, just strummed them in the stores.

19. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I've owned a Korean made San Luis Rey since the early nineties and it's a fantastic guitar. It's been from coast to coast with me and across to the UK on tour, I've recorded with it numerous times, and twenty years later it's still my number one acoustic.

I've played later versions of the Strat headstock acoustics they've put out and never liked them.

20. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Slightly off topic -and I apologize- but -Wasn't there a Harmony guitar with the Fender style headstock, back in the '60s ? I've got no pictures, and ...a defective memory for sure... but, I seem to recall that my girlfriend's dad had one ...back in the day.
    Natural finish, no on-board electronics of course.... actually played and sounded decent. .... Anyone recall such a thing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.