Fender Showman 6G14-A Chassis

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lljsullins, Jul 9, 2019.

1. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

First-time poster on here...Does anyone know where I could find/have one made for this amp? I'm looking to build this amplifier, 2x15 speakers and a Fender outboard Reverb unit to go along with it. So back to what I need, a chassis for the 6G14-A circuit, any ideas where I can find one or have one built? This amp is THE Dick Dale amp also! Thanks, guys!

300px-Fender_Showman_Ampi,_MIM_PHX.jpg

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That is a tall order. One might make do with a Twin Reverb chassis?? There are six noval sockets and four octals...solid state rectification....I think that might just work. ???? I have never compared the measurements, but I am going to think they just might be the same....or close enough.

3. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

It could work, I'll have to check em out!

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

If the TR chassis will work for you and IF you are not necessarily looking for a visually identical amp, a Dual Showman Reverb head would also work. Those head cabs can house 2 x 8” speakers for a ‘small gig’ rig to use when one did not need a big cab.

5. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I would like to have one that is identical to the old Showman if I could.

6. Wally

Well, that leaves out the small rig option. FWIW, the ?Fender amp field guide gives the dimensions of the BFTR and the 6G14 Showman head as 26”. I don’t take that info as written in stone.....the Sprung/Teague book says the BFTR is 26 3/8” wide, for instance.

7. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

Well the original faceplate is 1 3/4" x 24 1/4" x 1/16 so that might help.

8. Wally

That faceplate measurement will be the width of the chassis inside the cab....or very close to it. I don’t have a TR to measure....but I can’t imagine Leo going to extra expense to house the same number of tubes and virtually the same space for circuitry in a totally different chassis. Maybe someone will chime in with a BFTR chassis measurement. Example of Leo’s frugal nature.... the BF Bandmaster and the BF Showman/Dual Showman amps are built on the same chassis. The Bandmaster chassis will have covers over two of the octal holes.

9. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I just measured my 1973 Twin reverbs faceplate and it's 24 1/2

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The BF Twin, BF Showman are the same width as the Blonde Showman. 26". The SF are not. If I were you I would start with a ready to use BF Showman. You're almost there, and they go very reasonable. Then get a faceplate made and use the holes in it for the Presence etc.. instead of reverb. Recover in Blonde. There are sellers of faceplates on ebay now, BF and SF for about $100. IF they cant make you a plate, Noojwat in Vietnam would likely make a brown faceplate for you.
    BTW, there's a BF Showman head FS on the Gretsch Talk pages reasonable. Not mine.

If you buy a BF double check the width at 26". Who knows what leo might have done in transition!

Wally likes this.
  11. schmee

12. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I would do that but I wouldn't like to change a vintage amp, I'd rather build one. But thank you!

13. schmee

I dont suppose the holes line up.... ? I bet a Twin chassis will show up on Ebay now and then.
    I bet Noojwat will build you one with face and back plates.

. You cant live with a Blackface covered in Blonde? You gotta have the presence knob? or you're wanting to make it vintage correct entirely?

14. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I could but I'd rather leave history alone ya know? Anyways, I'd like to have it factory stock if you know what I mean. I'm speaking to a man about creating a chassis for it as I write this.

schmee likes this.
  15. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

16. Wally

Fwiw, a BF Bandmaster/Showman/Dual Showman chassis may be the same width, but they are not prepped for the proper tube arrangement since those three amps have only 4 noval socket holes. The BFTR has the correct arrangement...except for the bright switch/Presence pot thing???.

That trade looks promising!

17. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I was looking on eBay last night and found a NOS Twin Reverb chassis may be from the 1970s and the length of it was 24 1/4 just like the showman faceplate, but all other fender twin reverb chassis is 24 1/2.

18. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

19. schmee

That's interesting. I assumed the 24-1/4 was just the clearance size for a 24.5 width opening. Some amps seem to have plenty of gap and a few dont.

20. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

My 73 Twin is 24 1/2, it seems very odd yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.