1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender should be ashamed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telekaster1999, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Perhaps that sound is improved using SW but those small Fenders seem to sound good. Here is more raw where JP Cervoni play to Fender Super Champ which has a G10 Gold loudspeaker.

2. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Lots of always-on reverb players out there, me included. This is a little amp that should work as a grab-and-go thing. "Just use a pedal" is actually kind of a pain in the ass in some scenarios, like those where I'd want a little grab-and-go amp, and could otherwise do without any pedals.

There is plenty else about this amp that's already not vintage correct, I guess I just don't see the hangup. I assume the 'verb can be dialed out, and that whatever reverb module they're using doesn't cost Fender more than a few bucks.

I might guess it's not really in Fender's interest to just make a Vibro Champ, since Vibro Champs have always been available in the market, still at less than the cost of the reissue. I know the RI line have been around forever but the vintage amps those approximate cost more, and there are probably fewer available. That's why the value proposition in something like a DRRI works for many people. You'd have to add something to a VC to make that so - in the economic sense, reverb is marginal utility.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    RadioFM74 and RomanS like this.
  3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Not taking issue, genuine (& generally directed) question, how was it done, in this case?

I was about to post that I thought it was auto generated by YouTube. Fender may have provided it, but I’m guessing not. When it’s auto generated, music gets described, and described as the algorithm sees fit, I believe.

Closed captioning is to aid people with hearing difficulties. Hence ‘somber music’ etc. YouTube has no way of knowing if a video is a music product demo, or a homemade horror short, or whatever, and no way of discerning who is likely to watch or why (to a degree and only in certain regards, admittedly).

If Fender did it, then closed captioning convention would also push towards describing the music.

But yeah, closed captioning on YouTube can still be funny.

And, as an aside, I’ve noticed here that on Netflix, indistinxt background chatter in the opening of scenes, etc. often gets subtitled into actual conversations. You know, the main character is walking through a restaurant to meet the spy, and other people are mumbling away, setting the scene, and the subtitles are going “...and then I bought these lovely new red shoes...” That always amuses me. Along with translating universal things, like screams of pain or grunts of effort.

Pax/
    Dean

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. Drew617

Came here to say more or less what you did, but you said it first and more better. What were they supposed to do, run it through a crappy mic? They're not selling an amp and a crappy mic, or an amp or a good mic. They're selling an amplifier that any of us would listen to with our own two earballs first, then mic it, or not. If any of us miked it, we'd presumably use the most appropriate mic available. I don't need one of these but I happen to think the packaging is very smart. What the heck is the problem? Why are we inventing reasons to be outraged at this?

Screw you, Fender, for building an amp I might wanna use, or not! Why? Well, because microphones, and Peavey. Yeah, that's the ticket.

srolfeca and aadvark like this.
  5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I know it's going to work for someone, it's just not for me. I couldn't care less about vintage, just what works for me. I think an effects loop would suit more people. For myself, I just never want a hall reverb coming out of my amp. Only spring comes from speaker, hall stays in the hall (or PA speaker). Weird hang up, I know. Having the extra thing I don't want, and words on the front announcing it, just make it a less desirable object to me, logic be damned.

Drew617 likes this.
  6. Drew617

Makes sense, not that you need to justify preference to me. I suppose the whole RI series does play to nostalgia, so if the Champ-shaped object isn't quite Champ-shaped... :D

bottlenecker likes this.
  7. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I don't know...sounds pretty honest to me. I would believe that you could get those tones out of there. It probably just sounds even better in person. I can get something similar out of my SRRI...Now do I think you should ever buy an amp based solely on youtube demos? Of course not. Do I think its a reasonable place to start your search? Heck yeah! I have a 25 by Stage that sounds just like that...although its solid state instead of tube.

Oh how I wish they would ask me to demo their products.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I can get this sound right now, in the next room, with three larger, more expensive Fenders that span 5 decades. I'm pretty convinced, if I try this out in the store, its going to live up, probably surpass the video.

I really think it comes down to this: Some folks have never owned or operated a good Fender Reverb, and know not of what they speak.

9. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

Yes, they need to get a horrible player, set the amp on a cheap vinyl floor, and include a crying child and 2 barking dogs in the background . . . how else am I supposed to know what it will sound like when I play it? ;)

srolfeca, benderb9, RomanS and 4 others like this.
  10. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Not quite tho when it comes to this line of Fender amps. The Custom 68s were never straight reissues. The Princeton breaks up earlier, the Deluxe has a "Bassman" voiced channel… I'm not saying its better or worse, but it's part of the line.

As for the Reverb thing. I'm surprised Fender did not put a spring reverb emulator in there – but perhaps they thought that their hall reverb sim sounded better, and it's no big deal anyway. Especially for the prospective buyer who'd have taken his favorite reverb pedal along anyway: as simple as putting the reverb knob on "0" and playing through your pedal of choice. Some crazy people are known to do this even with bona fide spring reverb tanks on bigger Fender amps :eek:

11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Years ago I had a Boss ME5 going into a Boogie MK2. Other guitarist had a Bandit and he plugged his tele straight in. He smoked me with his tone.

aadvark and 2HBStrat like this.
  12. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

why did I read all of this ridiculous thread....?!

ultimately, I have come away thinking hmmm, I might try out a champ next time I'm in a shop....

I have a 5E3 and a Princeton, but sometimes they are still too loud and too big.

Maybe the OP is working for Fender and this was all some kinda reverse psychology advertising troll!

Tele-friend likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I was using a Twin Reverb RI last Friday. I used the amp’s reverb. But, last few times before this, I used my reverb pedal instead. Don’t really recall why (been a while). I think I just wanted something different at the time. But I definitely do recall that doing so created a little moment of cognitive dissonance. But in the end, it was all good.

Pax/
    Dean

RadioFM74 likes this.
  14. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Then they should have called it something else, like Broncoverb.

15. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

The Bronco was a 5 watt 1x8 entry-level tube amp featuring essentially the same circuit as period Vibro Champs. Fender raised the output to 6 watts in 1972.

I didnt know that... Interesting. Same circuit... which was the difference?

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I wish you could time-travel and tell that to Leo. "You shoulda called that amp this, you shouldn't-a-called that amp that". At the end of the 50s, they had a 6V6 1x12" combo called the "Tremolux". Guess what, a few years later it was 6L6 2x10" and I am leaving out transitional phases so it does not become too disturbing for you. The "Super" was a 2x10 combo for a good part of its life before becoming a 4x10". With reverb too! And it goes on and on…

Besides, as others noted it sure ain't a stretch to put a +2" speaker on the smaller models. It's the commonest of mods and people have been putting 10" on Champs and 12" on Princetons for decades. Please: promise me that every time you see one of those mongrels up for sale as a "Champ" or "Princeton" you'll post a message expecting what it should REALLY be called. :rolleyes:

Glad it was OK ;D There are very different flavors of reverb and if you're specific about it I think it's the most natural thing to want to bring in your reverb sound. Many surf rockers who need a drippy reverb use their pedals or reverb tanks whether the amp has an onboard reverb or not…

RomanS and TokyoPortrait like this.
  17. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I read the interview with Fender about the amp. They state the Reverb is digital to keep the noise down. It's a nice little amp, I've seen one. I already have a couple 5 watt amps that sound great to me. If that's what your looking for why not try it out.

Mike M likes this.
  18. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    This thread has morphed into a lot of unnecessary comments by some, making it too hard to moderate.

Closed

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.