1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender should be ashamed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telekaster1999, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Thanks for nothing, Franklyn!
    Maybe Fender took issue with their amp names.

2. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

I feel a little bit aggressive this topic...

1) First, the mic. I think they can choose the options that they want to show their products. No need to use the SM57. Its good to see the full potential with a great player and best EQ.
    2) Digital Reverb or not? I cant beleave this is a problem. A decent reverb and vibrato its cool.. two less pedal to carry, and if you want to use your amp at home, its a plug and play.. simple. It cant be a **** or no go just because you have the option. You can turn it off.
    3) Fender are doing or at least focusing their attention (again) in low wattage. Many of us like this market. Most of us play at home more hours than in gigs / studios etc.

Rick is here, no need to be aggressive with something that take several hours, study and discussion.

Personally im very intrigued why they prefer 10" vs 12" (Super Champ and this Vibro Champ) on low wattage models (then ive seen special editions with 12" inside). Size? Space?

Lets try to be positive with new things. Probably we are better product manager, president of the US and guitar players than the others, but ey. Lets try it before be aggressive.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  3. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Poster Extraordinaire

I totally agree.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

So would it be better if they got a hack player, kinda like me for example, who had no idea how to set the amp for what he wanted to use it for and no clue as to how to record with it ?

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny, I feel the exact opposite. I guess that’s why there’s fender folks, and there’s Marshall folks.

SheldonP and G.Rotten like this.
  6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I assume that's the case. I think an effects loop would've made more sense.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Fender need not be ashamed, period.

The only thing I’ve ever been curious about is how they recycle or reuse product names...

If a guitarist says, “I play a Fender Twin Reverb...”, well, ok—but which one?
    Original blackface from the 60’s?
    Original silverface from the 60’s/70’s?
    The horrible 60’s solid-state monstrosity?
    Silverface with master volume from the 70’s?
    Ultralinear?
    Blackface reissue?
    Silverface Classic ‘68 reissue?
    Not to mention the red-knob twin, the “The Twin...”, the tweed Twin, the super-rare brownface Twin...

You get the point.

8. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I can understand your initial impressions. The digital reverb gives this amp a processed sound, almost like a modeled amp. Then Fender describes the first audio clip as “light” reverb when the shows it past the halfway point. The reverb is pretty strong, and again, being digital makes it sound compressed and processed.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the amp sounds outstanding.

And I’m impressed with how well it handles humbuckers when cranked. Have those of you disliking that sound ever cranked a VC? Or any BF/SF Fender?

To me the 10” 70/30 is a great choice. Broken in and pushed they sound REALLY good with great feel.

I think adding digital verb was a great idea. You don’t want to use it? Turn it off. @ricks57custom - Anything you can share about why you went with a hall reverb? Continuing on the theme that a spring tank would’ve been too small to be effective in that model? I honestly haven’t explored Hall reverbs that much so I don’t really know what distinguishes them from plate for instants.

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

And Vox folks and Orange folks......etc.

There would be no point to having different brands if they all did the same thing.

I just wonder why there's such a big difference with Marshall from the store to the studio or big stage.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t know. I’ve played Marshalls since the 80’s. They’ve always been my favorite amps out of stuff that I can afford. I’ve used them in almost every kind of band there is. The only things I actively avoid are jazz and metal. I’ve used them in every sized room. From corner pubs to huge halls and amphitheaters. They just work for me.

Lots of players don’t choose the right Marshall. They don’t sound great if you can’t open em up. Especially the vintage circuits.

benderb9, klasaine and MilwMark like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That’s the crux. The Master and Drive have to be up over 2-3 o’clock to sound full and clear IME.

benderb9 and Jakedog like this.
  13. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Nah.

I have 76 Vibro Champ that sounds pretty much the same as that (with a reverb pedal...the old VCs don’t have reverb built in.) If I could play that well, I could get very close to the sound in this video.

As a side note, Fender was correct to use a blue light on these. The first thing I did when I got mine was swap the red light for blue. The silver face with blue lettering begs for a blue light.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    RadioFM74 and RomanS like this.
  14. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

The old VCs had 8” speakers, so a 10” is already an upgrade to modern tastes. Going 12” on these would probably be a little too out of character to use the VC name. At that point, you’re bigger than a Princeton, and part of the appeal of the Champ and VC is how tiny they are.

benderb9 and RomanS like this.
  15. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Yeap i know... but if you are changing the 8" for something bigger, go big.

Also you are adding reverb, so the VC has changed. I dont think a 12" will change a lot the name / Branding. Either size and weight. In fact reverb was a major change than the speaker size to me.

16. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I get that you’re trying to saddle a high horse here, but close captioning a guitar solo does not help anyone buy anything. And it still doesn’t even come close to contradicting my sarcastic remark. It is ridiculous, just like this comment.

Pretty sure that THEY CLOSE CAPTIONED THE GUITAR SOLO. Do guitar sounds not translate to other languages?

Seasicksailor likes this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Yeah. Nothing much to do with the OP, but yes, this annoys me too. I’m often thinking “Um, nope” as people are going ‘And, this is my clean tone / this is how it sounds clean / etc.’

To paraphrase a friend, if they think that’s clean, they don’t know how words work.

Anyway, back to whether or not Fender should be embarrassed (ashamed? Forget now...).

Pax/
    Dean

18. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

This is such a weirdly un-tdpri thread. Lots of humourless aggression. Strange. :confused:

19. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

After really going thru this thread, the nicest thing I could possibly say is...what a ridiculous series of rants and gripes.

They used two mics? So what. What should they have done...stuck the iPhone in front of it or a condenser mic from a vintage 70's Radio Shack cassette recorder?
    They're trying to sell an amp.
    They're trying to demonstrate it's sound.
    The video's been edited, the sound run thru a board & god knows what else...so,when isn't that done by a company selling something. Toyota washes & waxes the car before a photo shoot & uses the best natural lighting plus artificial lighting. They don't drive it thru mud, put it in a Walmart parking lot & take out a full page ad in Car & Driver.

We buy pickups because so & so uses them on record & live where the sound is processed...like the video.
    I see a shirt I like on someone...I buy it & I probably won't fill it out like the pro model or overweight schlub I first saw with it.
    I hear an amp in a video or recording & it sounds good...I get interested. I might even buy it. I'm not about to think for a moment it's going to sound exactly the same as a studio album or a professionally produced internet video.

What exactly the outrage or shame should be here with Fender is beyond rational comprehension.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go destroy my Champ b/c it never sounds as room filling as it does on the Domino's album! That's the last time I allow myself to be tricked by that sneaky SOB Tom Dowd.

20. percy

percy Tele-Meister

I have always said this.
    What are you recording thru
    In order to have an amazing sounding recorded amp
    You will need the recording equipment to get the sound from your amp
    The best amp for sounding like it does thru recording
    That I have found
    Is the Blackstar amp
    cheers and this is my opinion
    edit
    inexpensive amps recorded with an inexpensive web cam
    Blackstar wins

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.