1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender should be ashamed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by telekaster1999, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Would have liked to hear an example going direct (eg; bypassing the speaker entirely) OR with another speaker altogether. IMHO, I would wager that it would sound better with a quality speaker.

2. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

The key is the two mics. You don't even need to use eq, just mix the sounds and you can easily get that result. I definitely hear the amps character, small speaker and cabinet.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK. What the hell brought this on?

RomanS likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

at 2:46 he explains the control pannel, but one second before he is playing volume 6, treb 4, bass 4 reverb 10 speed 3 intensity 0
    and not one second later during the description Volume 4 Treb 4, Bass 4, reverb 3, speed 0 intensity 0 ( I paused at both points)

so there is some manipulation of the controls , the amp is mic'd to give a stereo or 2 channel mix plus there is some on board modifications because the reverb is dead quiet at full gain , tube reverbs are never that quiet ,one mic is on axis the other is off axis

his playing is suited to the amp tone and he plays well in that place

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

All I hear is a very well recorded amp and a player who masters the dynamic on his guitar.

Mason is a great player with taste and tone, his duo « Kibi Dango! » with Adam Levy is a favorite of mine.

??!
    Mason Stoops must be around 30, don’t see why he would need to « pretend to be a younger guy ».
    AFAIK, every person appearing on a pro shooting wears makeup, otherwise the stage lights make you look like nothing.

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I'll offer why I think the OP innocently thinks the straight jack sounds thru 5:25 are processed.

That is a great reverb. It sounds like a chorus, like from :25 thru :30, really deep, secondary or reflected tones coming thru. I can get this on my two earliest Fenders straight jack, if I spend a few minutes twisting knobs. But that rarely happens, because I tweak everything for my regular pedal setup.

Tremolo sounds awesome. I can get that same depth on my '70 TR, but again, I'm setup with pedals for a reason, and rarely use the onboard trem. I should rethink that after hearing this example.

On axis, close mic - ever notice how much more detail you pickup with good headphones, versus much more $$ monitors? If you could drop the volume enough to stare into your speaker from 1 foot, you'll hear a lot more due to proximity effects.

On axis, face-fwd monitoring - most of us don't stare straight on axis at our amps. We either are highly off axis to the side, or highly off axis standing with the on-axis beam aimed at our knees or waist, and facing away. There's a whole other world of sound, right there, if you are staring on axis. Some of you're audience is getting that sound, and its sometimes good, sometimes not good. Just like your house sound, very different product out front, than what the band hears.

On the effects thing, they add effects, and specify at 5:25 BEFORE using them. I know a lot of youtube videos and makers that use effects, and don't reveal it till the end, dropping almost under their breath as if its incidental. Maybe the reviewers innocently think everyone uses pedals to sparkle up or crunch up their rig. Or maybe not..

One more thing could be in play: false reviews by others. It kills me, to watch a video, and the reviewer describe and compliment the "clean" sound of an amp, that isn't clean, by any measure. You could watch a dozen reviews making this same error, and if you don't know to the contrary, go thru life without understanding what a real authentic, timeless clean sound really is, such as in this video. Again innocent, but wrong.

Fender makes great products, and always has. This video is well produced, better than 95% of what's on youtube. The only "trick" might be the close miking, and direct to signal recording, bypassing the room effect. You can close mike your Fender amp, and depending on your PA setup, get the same sound.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    ataylor and RadioFM74 like this.
  7. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

that tele and the player sound might fine to me...

as5431 and RadioFM74 like this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I feel that this thread is quite unfortunate – sorry OP.

It roars that "Fender should be ashamed!" when in fact Fender has strictly nothing to be ashamed of concerning its demos. As many, including Rick, pointed out in response to the strange observations that some have made:
    1. Using good mikes can hardly be thought of as trickery
    2. Whenever effects are used it's explicitly stated on the video
    3. Yes sometimes the controls appear placed differently from a moment to the next. It's called "editing" :lol:

The claim in the thread title is entirely misplaced and if someone wrote front and center of a thread that I should be "ashamed" for no reason, I'd be p****d off.

Besides: as many pointed out no YT video can ever give you the exact feeling of how a piece of gear will sound with you in your room. There are pedal demos that sound sublime, and then the pedal sounds "meh", or the opposite. Mike Hermans can make two resistors bolted to a footswitch sound glorious no matter what. There are YT vids where a strat sounds exactly like a tele, and at home it's not the case. That's not bad faith: it's the inherent limitations of the medium. To put the blame on Fender for this is bizarre. Especially since, having said all that, Fender demos tend to be great and a lot more faithful to the true experience than 99% of the other demos out there. I bought a Super Champ X2 on the basis of an epic demo that Rick and Shane shot back in the day and got exactly what they were advertising. I tried a Custom 68 Vibrolux and it sounded exactly as sweet as it did in the video. More examples could be made, and I am pretty sure this one is no exception.

The whole discussion on whether the amp or the player are good is entirely OT – I'll just say that I think the amp sounds and looks great, and that the player really knows how to bring out all the nuances.

I am the first to rant when Fender really should do better (QC slips and the like) but in this case: kudos to Fender.

Nikwho, ratdoc, aadvark and 5 others like this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

That crank is classy :D

aadvark likes this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Deaf people are capable of purchasing gifts for friends and family that can hear. Why exclude them from possibly buying your product? I find closed captioning to be a savvy sales move. Fender won’t lose any sales doing so and they also gain some respect from those in the deaf community.

11. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The captioning is multilingual. If you speak French, Spanish, Portuguese...you can change the setting to see a translation. It's not just for the deaf community.
    345A9241-583F-4E70-A73A-7918DA800BDF.jpeg

Nikwho, aadvark, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  12. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

13. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Who is Franklyn? I've never heard of him and I've been playing for 45 years. Where will Franklyn be in ten years? Why would I trust Franklyn over Fender, a company in business since the 50s? What does this have to do with the Fender Vibro Champ Reverb? Why is Franklyn stealing the names of Fender amplifiers for his own? Is that legal?
    No thanks.

ratdoc and RomanS like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I guess that's why that multi-mic combo is my favorite for impulse responses.

15. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Maybe the reverb comes after the preamp stage and the amp lacks an effects loop.

16. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Amp sounds great! I’ll have to try one out at my local music shop.

stormsedge likes this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

^^^Ideally, this.^^^ Thankfully, most online vendors have generous return policies if an item doesn't meet our expectations/requirements. Just play.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I wish Fender would do a (reasonably priced) tweed Princeton reissue. Now that might just cause me to part with my money...

19. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Problem solved, according to the website linked Franklyn doesn’t actually have any amps available to purchase. Score one for Fender, you’re welcome.

tanplastic likes this.
  20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would never buy an amp based on an online review. I need to hear an amp plain and simple. I become aware of new stuff online but I really don’t get any information from the online demos.

RadioFM74 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.