Fender S1 switch - Working in reverse

Mad Kiwi

Friend of Leo's
I recently had a Harley Benton Rosewood Tele fitted out with a full Baja pickup and wiring loom set I bought from ebay.

The tech wasn't experienced with S1 switching and to be fair they are a bit of a wiring nightmare, he rang me to say he had installed the whole setup but it wasn't working right, he'd spent ages on it but couldn't figure out why the pickup configuration was so wonky. I suspect he had twisted himself in knots and gotten a bit lost.

He then got the dreaded C/Flu and knowing I was reasonably capable asked if I wanted to keep looking at it myself. Which was fine as I didn't want to spend too much $ on his time.

Getting it home I eventually realised there were two separate issues.

The bridge pickup was dead. Which was REALLY annoying and the S1 switch (button really) was working opposite to how it should with the reverse polarity active with the switch/button in the normal out (off) position and normal in phase with the switch/button pressed in.

So having put back the original Harley Benton bridge pickup it all works fine except the reverse S1 switch/button.

With A.D.D, the whole thing looks like my worst nightmare!

Does anyone know if this is a simple 1 or 2 wire swap or is it more complicated than that?

takauya

Tele-Meister
This helps?

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 3.25.38 PM.png

Mad Kiwi

Friend of Leo's
Thank you but not really. Ultimately...maybe. :)

At this point in time it just confuses me. I figure that the phase switch being in reverse must be a relatively easy fix but what I'm switching around to resolve it eludes me.

Could it be as simple as the wires from the neck pickup being installed backward?

Tuxedo Poly

Friend of Leo's
This diagram may help with the wiring.
Check the placing of the 0.01uF capacitor and the associated wiring going to the switch. It sounds like they are reversed as I think you suspect. There is an error on the Fender diagram relating to grounding the volume pot lug and the 0.05uF capacitor which is fixed . If you can trace each wire out it may solve the issue.

Tele_Fender_Baja.jpg