Fender rumble with Guitar.

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I just plugged a little parlor guitar with a magnetic sound hole pickup into the 25 and it sounds very nice. Playing with the EQ I can get quite a variety of sounds from warm and bassy to bright and sparkly.

I don't have an acoustic amp so I've been plugging my acoustic into a 5 watt tube amp. It's sounds good at low volumes but not so good when I turn it up. The Rumble allows me to play at a little higher volume if I chose to.

Last edited:

tm1303

Tele-Meister
I occasionally run my Tele through an Orange Bass Terror 500 and out of a 2*10 neodymium loaded bass cab. It's kinda awesome but a bit cold.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Can confirm: I have a Rumble 500 combo for my bass, but I plug guitars into it sometimes too. I expected to have to EQ differently for cleans but it's just fine. The built-in overdrive reminds me of SS Roland guitar amps. Not outstanding, but not bad. Very usable. I haven't tried any pedals yet, but I bet something like a TS or SD-1 would really push that OD into metal or fuzz territory if you want it.

I've also considered using it as a powered monitor for some of my low watt tube amps that have a pre-amp out. Haven't tried it yet, though.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
yes. i record my keys through my rumble 40. i also record keys through my vox guitar amp. and also direct. the all sound good to me but i like using amps in general cuz i love the way keys can sound with guitar pedals on them.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
I have been in a lot of situations where a bass amp have been used for keys. Borrowed rehearsal rooms etc. A bass amp can handle the bass and have a flatter frequency response than most guitar amps.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have been in a lot of situations where a bass amp have been used for keys. Borrowed rehearsal rooms etc. A bass amp can handle the bass and have a flatter frequency response than most guitar amps.

The handling the bass part is what I was concerned about. Keyboards go WAY lower than a bass guitar, and I'd hate to chew up the speakers.

I have secretly played higher note stuff through a guitar amp with full gain though. Mostly the organ patches, because they sound amazing with distortion.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I occasionally run my Tele through an Orange Bass Terror 500 and out of a 2*10 neodymium loaded bass cab. It's kinda awesome but a bit cold.

i'm thinking of a loud rig for the near future and i'm considering the super crush, but then running it out of a ported 4x10 bass cab. i has been wondering if the bass terror was as tube-ish feeling as the super crush/crush pro. the other idea i have is building something like the dunwich DA-120 and running it through a pedal baby or a plain old bass amp/4x10.

one of the heaviest tones i ever got for distorted stuff was stacking dimed drives through an ampeg B2 (with the EQ dialed in more naturally) out of an 8x10 fridge in B standard...no bass player required. it felt like playing a synthesizer or something, which was cool in some ways.

Last edited:

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
The handling the bass part is what I was concerned about. Keyboards go WAY lower than a bass guitar, and I'd hate to chew up the speakers.

I have secretly played higher note stuff through a guitar amp with full gain though. Mostly the organ patches, because they sound amazing with distortion.
Well the lowest note on a piano is A0, 27,5Hz, low B on a 5string bass is 31Hz. Most of the energy of a string based instrument is in the second harmonic, an octave up. Yes a synth can produce a sine wave lower than those notes and shred a speaker but many modern commercial amp combos just won't even try to reproduce it. HPF filters and limiters to protect the speakers. Most speakers are also sort of HPF filters anyway.
If one tries to go that low and loud, the speaker will give of some very noticable sounds before shredding though.

Last edited:

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Well the lowest note on a piano is A0, 27,5Hz, low B on a 5string bass is 31Hz. Most of the energy of a string based instrument is in the second harmonic, an octave up. Yes a synth can produce a sine wave lower than those notes and shred a speaker but many modern commercial amp combos just won't even try to reproduce it. HPF filters and limiters to protect the speakers. Most speakers are also sort of HPF filters anyway.
If one tries to go that low and loud, the speaker will give of some very noticable sounds before shredding though.

Thanks for the enlightenment. I hope there are filters in place to block unuseable frequencies in most amplifiers, but I didn't want to 'try it and see'.

I didn't take into account 5-strings. I was only thinking about my 4-strings tuned to standard pitch. I wasn't fully caffeinated at the time.

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Elliott Randall’s “Reelin” was recorded with a Strat straight into an Ampeg bass stack.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I just got a Blackstar fly. Headphones out -> the aux in on the Rumble 100 sounds pretty freaking incredible!

E9DE7E98-C005-4361-A57E-B7B7D15BBCE4.jpeg

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
I run my guitar amps through a Fender Bassman 4x10 410H 300W 8 ohm bass cab and it sounds very articulate and really projects. A very good buy at $200.00. It is heavy at 89 lbs but rolls nicely on casters. The original owner bought a Rumble because of back issues and let it go cheap.