Fender rumble with Guitar.

surfco

Tele-Afflicted
I just bought a Fender Rumble 40 for guitar and...
It sounds FANTASTIC!
I was in the market to buy a sub $300 CLEAN amp to use with my Multi-FX pedal.
Most guitar amplifiers in that price category are modelling amps. Not really what I wanted.
I wanted a good sounding CLEAN canvas for my pedals, kinda like a Roland JC-120.
I plugged my G&L USA S-500 with my multi-fx pedal and I was blown away by the quality of the sound I got.
Granted, you have to know how to EQ a BASS amplifier to work with your particular rig, but once it's done, you get a fantastic sound.
The guy I bought the amp from let it go for $100 bucks so I'm really happy!
Cheers, fellow TDPRI'ers!

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I just bought a Fender Rumble 40 for guitar and...
It sounds FANTASTIC!
I was in the market to buy a sub $300 CLEAN amp to use with my Multi-FX pedal.
Most guitar amplifiers in that price category are modelling amps. Not really what I wanted.
I wanted a good sounding CLEAN canvas for my pedals, kinda like a Roland JC-120.
I plugged my G&L USA S-500 with my multi-fx pedal and I was blown away by the quality of the sound I got.
Granted, you have to know how to EQ a BASS amplifier to work with your particular rig, but once it's done, you get a fantastic sound.
The guy I bought the amp from let it go for $100 bucks so I'm really happy!
Cheers, fellow TDPRI'ers!
have fun..:)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Another member here, guy called @FortyEight , has recorded some guitar through a Rumble 40...maybe he’ll chime in.

I really dig running my guitar through my Peavey TKO115S bass combo...sort of the same thing but bigger (and heavier...)

The TKO has active high and low shelving EQ knobs flanking a 7-band active graphic EQ, so it requires some conceptual EQ translating, but when you crank it up with the EQ set right it sounds great for clean to semi-crunchy rhythm with no pedals. And adding pedals sounds good too.

I wish it were the same weight and size as a Rumble 40, but otherwise it’s a great amp for what I do.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I've recently heard the rumble 25 sounds good, from someone with a nice amp collection. Now I'll look into this one too. I need a clean ss backup. It's nice that they're not hideous on stage, too. Just looks like a speaker cab.

Yeah, it’s nice how understated they are. Sorta vintage, sorta not, look appropriate in various settings.

Now my TKO...it manages to have the spiky stoner Peavey logo, the early 90s teal stripe and tiny knobs, the later-era extruded aluminum stiffening strips along the grille, a faint pot-enamel speckle to the tolex AND the big honkin squared off Scorpion speaker basket.

That’s about five levels of things Peavey detractors hate. It looks like an early 90s solid-state amp.

But that thing just flat works!

Side note: it’s also a perfect organ stand, and by extension, music stand...
651E79AD-1B16-40E2-AD40-2CEDF75AE6D1.jpeg

Last edited:

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
A used Rumble 15 for 40€$£ is great for the livingroom for both guitar and bass. No overdrive per se but dime it with a bass and some nice OD comes out of it.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
One song I used my Affinity Tele and the dirty channel on the rumble 40 and had a SUPER good sound to my ear. I can link it if you want. But I don't really love it for clean. It might be I've not found the magic eq but it still sounds like I'm playing through a bass amp. IMHO. It doesn't sort of blend as well. That being said it doesn't sound bad. But I've only got cheap guitars. I might be picking up a deluxe mexi strat (Fender) today. I will likely try it in that. But I mean, you could do worse. I really like the disortion / gain / dirty channel. Whatever you want to call it. I've use that on bass too and though it sounded good.

I use it for bass practice for my country band and it does a good job. Even with drums. I'm never diming it. My Pbass pup is pretty hot though.

I use an older Gen II Rumble 100 2-10" for gigs (bass) And the last church I attended I just left that amp there cuz I wasn't gigging at the time. I'd always use it for guitar when I played guitar. Which was less than bass. It was sort of good sort of really bassy. Again.... Still kinda learning how to EQ a bass amp for guitar. But to me theres something sort of squishy sounding about the speakers that I feel like I can tell is there. That makes me go, yeah, I'm playing my guitar through a bass amp.

For the right guitar it could work really well I would think.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Rumble 25 was my first “guitar” amp. (Bass player, recently picking up electric guitar). The OD was actually slightly useful, when I had nothing else to add to the tone.

I also have a Rumble 100. I could shatter some windows with that bad boy! But the OD on that one has proved pretty useless. I ran my reverb pedal, which sounds fantastic. And I just received my first OD pedal today, looking forward to messing around with them together.

Granted, you have to know how to EQ a BASS amplifier to work with your particular rig

With my Tele, I’ve been setting the 4band to 9/12/12/12 (o’clock) maybe a little bump on the hi mid. Sounds pretty good with the bright+vintage too.

surfco

Tele-Afflicted
Rumble 25 was my first “guitar” amp. (Bass player, recently picking up electric guitar). The OD was actually slightly useful, when I had nothing else to add to the tone.

I also have a Rumble 100. I could shatter some windows with that bad boy! But the OD on that one has proved pretty useless. I ran my reverb pedal, which sounds fantastic. And I just received my first OD pedal today, looking forward to messing around with them together.

With my Tele, I’ve been setting the 4band to 9/12/12/12 (o’clock) maybe a little bump on the hi mid. Sounds pretty good with the bright+vintage too.
Great to hear from you!
Thanks for commenting!

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Some interesting info, from a FMIC insider, posted over on Talkbass, regarding the Rumbles:

The input GAIN control on Rumble V3 is essentially a variable input pad (like Active/passive or –dB switch seen on other amplifiers). We chose this over the typical fixed gain stage with pad switch in order to take advantage of the increased dynamic compression effect of the VINTAGE and OVERDRIVE circuits that benefit from higher signal/gain levels. Bass players looking for a ‘cleaner’ tone might start with a GAIN setting of 9’oclock to noon which is in the normal range of ‘passive’ input stages for typical amps. Higher GAIN settings will also increase the sustain/distortion (as will having VINTAGE active) for OVERDRIVE (cascaded with DRIVE control). A lot more variety is available this way.

Rumble MASTER settings above noon drive the power amp harder, and the modified Delta-Comp Limiter will keep the power amp from hard clipping, so that creates a sound of its own and not necessarily a ‘clean’ one the harder you drive it. It will definitely result in a more compressed sound, and depending on your tone goals, may or may not be desirable.

The Vintage feature on V3 is a newly developed analog circuit that emulates the input/output transfer characteristic of a single vacuum tube amplifier stage. Tubes have a natural compression when driven hard and this circuit mimics that response. Low pass filtering is applied which emphasizes the low notes to give the ‘thickening’ effect you hear.

Similar circuitry is cascaded together to generate the Overdrive on the V3, which is totally different than on V2, and is more harmonically rich without sacrificing any low end. The compression effect of both the Vintage and Overdrive is completely independent of the Delta-Comp power amp limiter, in fact the peak signal reduction from compression in the preamp tends to reduce activation of the limiter.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I got a chance to play around with amp settings today. I found while I prefer my tube amp (Vox AC4), the rumbles with Reverb + OD (both AZOR) created a perfectly useable, even great sounding tone.

I found I can’t turn bass above 10:00 (but this is my rule of thumb for bass too!) the mids and treble hovered around noon, +\- 2 before sounding extreme. The HH Ibanez wanted more treble; the Tele wanted more mids.

The more I used the vintage, the less I liked it. (Again, same with bass). Just too muddy, washed-out, undefined to my ears.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, it’s nice how understated they are. Sorta vintage, sorta not, look appropriate in various settings.

Now my TKO...it manages to have the spiky stoner Peavey logo, the early 90s teal stripe and tiny knobs, the later-era extruded aluminum stiffening strips along the grille, a faint pot-enamel speckle to the tolex AND the big honkin squared off Scorpion speaker basket.

That’s about five levels of things Peavey detractors hate. It looks like an early 90s solid-state amp.

But that thing just flat works!

Side note: it’s also a perfect organ stand, and by extension, music stand...
View attachment 942125
My Magnus was dark brown. Probably would have clashed with a black amp.

On topic, I never liked my Rumble 100 with any of my guitars, but it sounds glorious with my Precision.

surfco

Tele-Afflicted
I got a chance to play around with amp settings today. I found while I prefer my tube amp (Vox AC4), the rumbles with Reverb + OD (both AZOR) created a perfectly useable, even great sounding tone.

I found I can’t turn bass above 10:00 (but this is my rule of thumb for bass too!) the mids and treble hovered around noon, +\- 2 before sounding extreme. The HH Ibanez wanted more treble; the Tele wanted more mids.

The more I used the vintage, the less I liked it. (Again, same with bass). Just too muddy, washed-out, undefined to my ears.
I don't use the vintage setting either. Didn't like it.