1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Rumble - Good Clean Tone on a Budget

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TBOT, Jan 10, 2020.

1. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

So, I sold off multiple Fender tube amps through the years as well as a Roland JC because I just wasn’t using them. Not gigging much, and recording guitar direct into my interface with some pretty good amp plug ins / emulators.
    But, I had a V3 Fender Rumble 100 laying around for the very occasional bass gig. Plugged my MIM Mustang into it and it was pretty good. Added a Holy Grail and a TC Spark to it and it was very good.
    For drive and dirt, tube amps rule the day IMHO. But if you want to play clean as I do more often these days, these amps are great bargains.
    Engage the bright and vintage switches, turn up the mids and you get a pretty good Fender clean tone.
    And I carried it home 7 blocks after a gig without breaking a sweat.

2. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

thats what i also read somewhere else. even the rumble 35 is gois for clean or dirty guitar and lightweight

TBOT and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I got on a bass kick in January of last year and bought a couple of basses and a Fender Rumble 500 V3 head with two matching 212 cabinets. I think I played them once - my bad... I need to try them with the Tele.

TBOT likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The Reverend's old rig was a Rumble and a Weber VST Princeton Reverb replica. Whole herd of graphic EQs on the floor each one dedicated to one of his many guitars.

Check out the drummer's tom.

:)

TBOT likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter has a v2.0 Fender Rumble 150...

I was massively impressed with it’s sound as a guitar amp...straight in from the guitar—amazing, rich and fat clean tones—very impressive. It made my Stratocaster sound HUGE...it worked equally well for my main Telecaster, but I had to tweak the EQ to prevent the neck (P-90) pickup from getting too muddy/woods.

The onboard overdrive was more than useful. I would use this amp for a gig, with no pedals.

But (to relate to another ongoing thread) it does take pedals well...I broke out the Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss and was very happy with how everything on the amp responded well to the incoming effects. That giant 15” speaker quarked and quacked beautifully with the Crybaby, buzzed & fuzzed appropriately with the Dunlop JH-2S fuzz, and whirled/swirled with abandon with the RT-20 Rotary Ensemble.

The only criticism is that it didn’t really work that well for harmonica, but very few solid-state amps do, so there’s that...

This is the previous generation of this model/series of amps, so the weight’s a bit more than the newer version, but it still ain’t bad. The size is a bit unwieldy as well.

If I were playing a guitar-only gig, I would not hesitate to use this amp.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    TBOT likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Was hoping the washboard player was going to take a solo... Turns I’ve got some drums like that in the garage.:cool:

TBOT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.