1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Road Worn 60's Strats. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by hybridrocknroll, Aug 16, 2011.

1. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

What, no pics in this thread!

2. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

I tried several at GC when they came out and they did vary alot in feel,but I really liked the better ones alot.On the relicing,the finish looks like an old dresser I got back from a family member,who had spilled bong water and ashes all over the top! Now I know how Fender does it! Happy hunting.

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

These days the premium MIM's cost more than the entry MIA's.

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My only thoughts are that I want one. The oly white r/w job. This thread need pictures.

5. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Agreed!! Pics are big time needed.

Edit: only one I could find on photobucket (not mine)
    [​IMG]

6. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Anybody noticed a big difference between the 50's and 60's other than the maple or rosewood fretboard? I love maple boards, but I think that rosewood just looks great on a Strat.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Tele-Meister

I just swapped out the trem on my roadworn, which is not a steel block. I used a Gotoh vintage trem, and it really improved the tone. Notes are fuller and more even, everywhere. With the stock trem, some notes were okay and others had a weak, thin sound.

8. ferosferio

ferosferio TDPRI Member

I'm mostly a tele and les Paul guy, but there comes a time when you just want to play a strat! I found a used 50s road worn and put CS 69 pickups in it with one of those prewired pick guards on eBay. Awesome guitar now! I did have to have the frets dressed and professionally set up, but I think this is the case with most MIM strats, unless you get lucky. I would buy it again. Fun guitar, sounds great, plays great and hangs with my other guitars that are much more $$. Rob

9. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Yep - I had to get a fret dress and setup on my 60's RW first thing after I bought it, but after that, it plays like a dream, and I love it now.

I will say that I would have preferred that it had come with vintage frets, but I can deal with the 6105's on it.. Love the 7.25 radius!

Floated the trem on it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I guess I need to pull out the camera and take a few snaps... Show that I really have worn it a little bit... nothing drastic, but it looks more like mine than it did when new.

I played mine at band practice yesterday. I loved it, once again. I was playing through my '69 Vibrolux and only used a little bit of pedal magic (my Keeley Fuizz Head, Danelectro Transparent Overdrive with some tasty Carbon Copy thrown in) from time to time. That really is a combination mad ein heaven, Strat and VR!

I will say that I didn't fret out any notes and it's a blues band, I play leads and little fills most of the time. I was bending the crap out of notes yesterday! One thing that was an issue when I first bought it was the high e string slipping off the bottom of the neck (I forgot about this earlier). A little adjustment of the neck in the pocket and all is well in RW-land. I think if the nut wasn't so perfect in height, I'd probably put a new one on, moving the high e string further in.

I also didn't mention that my Tex-Mex pickups are waaaaay down low. The treble side of the neck pickup is an RCH above the pickguard... Just the edge radius higher maybe. I find this make the Tex-Mex pickups about the quackiest, stratiest pickups. You can get that Dire Straights sound, or the Los Lonely Boys sound without any effort. Well, Henry does use them though, doesn't he? Maybe that's cheating? IOt's a little tought to get the fat Hendrix sound with this setup, but if I add a Marshall sounding pedal it falls right into place... Oh and playing with the volume (which I do all the time).

Anyway, the guitar performed beautifully, as it always does. I was as happy as I could be with my tone and it's playability. No fighting the guitar to play it or hear something good. Only way it sounded better was by cranking up the amp and hitting the fuzz!

So, yeah, anybody thinking about a Strat, please don't wipe these off your list!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.