1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender revamping the American Vintage Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medveman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The am specials have not been discontinued (yet)

Spaceboy likes this.
  2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was on fender's website and it looks like the Am Spec series is still being produced same as last year's.

3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Not quite. In the US at least, the American Originals are cheaper than the AVs were.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-series/american-original/

kurtmanifest1 likes this.
  4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Just reading through all the specs. This seems like a step back as far as I'm concerned.

They dropped the '56 Strat pickups. I thought those were the best Strat pickups Fender made.

The 60s Telecaster doesn't come in white?! The bound bodies are cool but that's a Telecaster Custom.

I was watching this Tyler Bryant kid shred on a 9.5 radius. Or what he calls shredding. This makes me even less interested in anything Fender is making. There are some interesting clips of Buddy Guy on youtube playing the crap out of a 7.25 radius around 1969.

9.5 radius and larger frets don't belong on a stock "vintage" Fender. Sorry, that's how Leo intended it.

In some ways this is a relief. I remember when the new reissues came out in 2012 I had to buy as many as possible. Now Fender won't get any more of my money. I'm officially done buying new Fenders.

moosie likes this.
  5. fender_freak

fender_freak Tele-Meister

I'm sure they're lovely guitars but if I want a reissue, I want a reissue. Now they're the expensive version of Squier Classic Vibes. If I want something modern I'd get another American Standard or American Pro or American Special etc

At least the Classic Series is staying with the vintage radius and frets.

lechucky and BorderRadio like this.
  6. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

I have to admit I kind of like the new line...

7. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

I always regretted selling my Ice Blue '62 Tele, glad to see the binding coming back! Tempted by the Fiesta Red or sunburst....

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

+1, on the surf green Jag and double bound burst Tele. I’ve owned a green Jag and have parted out a CVC so I could keep the body. Now I have no more GAS for the more expensive line, and certainly won’t be making deep routes in a MIA as easily as I did the CVC. They only Fender left that I really wanted was an AV Tele, now I’m going into the used market.

9. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey TDPRI Member

I quite like the new series, they seem to be lovely guitars in every aspect. Looking forward to getting my hands on a '50s strat and a '60s tele. Of course, I've already got a PV64 tele and a PV65 strat, and they are more than adequate for my needs... But still, the GAS is real.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Small point but they really should have the "Custom Telecaster" decals on the nitro doublebound '60s style Teles to complete the look. That's what I'd what.

You really do need a custom build to get EVERYTHING you want, don't you?

Southpole, BorderRadio and hrstrat57 like this.
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It's not on Fender's website yet but Sweetwater has "pre-orders" up for a few new colors on the American Specials:

1. Tele with rosewood fingerboard in what they are calling "Sherwood green" but it really looks in-between the "Sherwood Green" they used on AVRI '62 Strats circa 1998-2000 and the Hot Rod '62 Strats later in the 2000s and a metallic version of the Antique Olive on the American Professionals. Could just be Sweetwater's photos (or Photoshop renditions). It definitely isn't the more accurate Sherwood Green they have been using on the AV '59 Strats.
    2. HSS Strat in fiesta red, maple fingerboard, and aged/green plastics.
    3. SSS Strat in walnut stain, maple fingerboard, and 70s-style black plastics
    Sweetwater doesn't identify these as being exclusives for them, but you never know.

EDIT: Sorry; Sweetwater had a "pre-order" page with stock photos of each of these 3 new colors on their website the last time I looke (on Sunday); and those pages had been up since before Christmas - but they aren't on the site today. Strange.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  12. Graham Peterson

Graham Peterson TDPRI Member

They completely slashed options for lefties. We can only get the 50's tele, 50's strat, and 60's strat (both strats only come in white over ash) and their not making a 60's tele left handed.

Cheecharron likes this.
  13. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

60’s LPB Tele is super tempting.....

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Are they rolling the fretboard edges?

15. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

You can Fred, you can.
    R

16. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I hope not. I just got an AV52 Telecaster this summer and if there is one thing I could say I didn't like it would have to be the rolled edges. IMHO they overdid it a tad too much.

heffus and Teleterr like this.
  17. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I feel the same way. My CS '67 Tele and AVRI '64 are both so close in quality I see no reason to buy the CS model. The '67 is a maple board and the '64 has rosewood.

I'm done. They're all I need.

yazam2014 and mimmo like this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Neck profiles have changed. Lots of soft V now, even in the 60s (whut?).

The 50s Strat has 59 pickups in it, so not the 54 Formvar sound...

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

The demo video for GAK shows that the 60s tele does have "Custom Telecaster" on the decal, but I noticed that it doesn't have compensated saddles like in the pictures on the fender website. Perhaps the images are of prototypes of the series, where some of the finer details aren't set in stone yet?

20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I like the 60's Tele, the Alder bodies not needing as much fill tend to keep the finish thin too.

The 50's being back to a poly grain filler over ash along with the butterscotch tint just isn't for me, might as well grab a baja.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.