Fender revamping the American Vintage Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by medveman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I think many are already there with Fender.

But most would tow the company line.

Me, I'd buy used. ;)

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They're now selling vintage-style Fenders with the one update I'd make to them.

I think they're great. I'd get one of these over an AVRI or an Am Pro. What isn't great is that there isn't a classic neck option (or the other way round, as that sort of makes more sense). When they've done so many models in the past that have a maple/rosewood option, why not keep your overall range low on options and offer a classic/modern profile option? That, and priced a little more to sell, they would have an absolute winner.

LowThudd, Nick Fanis and Southpole like this.
  3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

The people who really really want perfect vintage spec didn't buy enough AVs. Y'all had what, five years? Fender is moving on.

Andy Mooney (Fender CEO) has explained what they're doing over and over. It's part of a larger rework of their product lines to reduce the number of SKUs, to make it easier to understand (and for dealers, to explain) the different product tiers, and to focus on winning younger customers -- something that not many of Fender's rivals are doing yet.

I'll tell you this: I'm not a kid, I own real vintage Fenders, and I'd rather have one of these vs an AV any day.

Masterbuilt, MilwMark and Nick Fanis like this.
  4. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

Well, most of us here have no reason to own multiple copies of the exact same guitar, all the same right down to the color and specs. I have one 52 reissue telecaster. I see no reason to buy five more 52 reissue's in the hopes that Fender will keep making them. And my main issue is the way they are presenting this series, as a blend of vintage and modern, which is exactly how they presented and continue to promote the american professional series. Larry Thomas, Andy Mooney's predecessor was responsible for the 2012 update to their longest running series. I'm not opposed to change or evolution of design, but Fender was able for nearly 30 years to offer something for everyone. Now, it seems not so much.

mimmo, moosie and Southpole like this.
  5. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was going to start a new post as this one is already on 12 pages but I'm not. Here's my take...Places like WW are selling more/as much of the AV line with the 9.5" radius as Fender was with the 7.25" radius. So in the short term WW is going to take a hit. In that light, to pick up lost sales, places like WW will probably be special ordering batches of the new AO series with the 7.25" radius down the road.

Smiff likes this.
  6. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

So you're "towing" yesterday's "company line?"

You're such a rebel.

DanDII likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Still won't have the paint job.

And I don't want to deal with WW's "exclusive" pricing.

8. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

Well, we all also know that Fender isn't above dumping on independent retailers. Just remember when they decided to start selling direct. So the consequences for Wildwood guitars losing money on their thin skins doesn't bother the suits at FMIC in the slightest. It has the downside/upside, depending on your perspective, of benefiting the chain stores like GC and Musicians Friend.
    You may be right about how Wildwood will respond to this change. They could possibly offer some along the lines of a wildwood limited edition true vintage spec series. Guitars from the 50s and 60s that they know will sell. We can only wait and see I guess.

9. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Just been reading an interview of Mike Lewis, current head of Fender Custom Shop. Apparently they get very few orders for guitars with 100% vintage accuracy. Extract below from Guitar Classics magazine.

89BA9F05-7E70-4375-87A8-B08AF3D1BFFA.jpeg

Gibson likes this.
  10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Actually I have seen very few actual vintage Fenders with vintage frets, almost all were ,at some point,refreted with larger/higher ones.

So Fender is simply doing what most people want from a regular production guitar.

I don't mind the vintage radius ,I believe that all this obsession with radiji is overexagerated and anyhow the actual feel and differences between them are minor and can be minimised even further by a good setup.

But the vintage frets?Nah I am so happy they aren't there anymore.

I also don't give a dime about the type of finish as long as there are nice colours to choose from.

I also adore the roundlam fretboards cause they are far superior structurally ,and more expensive to produce,than slab boards.

All in all I'd get one of the new ones over a PV or older reissue in a heartbeat.

logans_tele likes this.
  11. TheYeti

TheYeti TDPRI Member

With the new AO series launching to replace the american vintage line, I wonder how long before the MiM classic series/classic series lacquer is dropped in favor of the classic player series?

mimmo likes this.
  12. spenno

spenno Tele-Meister

Really wish that AO 60s wasn’t available in LPB. Ok so different specs/double bound and all that but kinda negates the AVRI 64 I proudly own! Surely there are plenty of colours to go around lol

13. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

There's one Wildwood, they have a few guitars. There's been a whole lineup of AV's in every GC/SamAsh in the country beyond the fact there's at least 100+ other retailers of them. I doubt the numbers are even close.

This is a partly streamlining move by Fender but partly just smart business. The roadworn series and classic series have all done well too. Sales are stagnant for every retailer which is why they do this stuff year in and year out. It drums up sales for previous and new models. It'll be cyclical, vintage spec will come back.

Now, as much as we harp about the fact the the AO lines are Poly filled underneath we should step back a realize that even though it might save a few bucks...the "thin skin" or "flash coat" doesn't have much in common with the 50's guitars anyways. The thinner coat looks great on the bodies plus much better on ash bodies, has that lovely smell, and will ding if messed with. BUT, junk lacquer it isn't.

Beyond lacking faux tint it's the same modern lacquer they used on the AVRI's. If you've played the **** out of one for years like I have that sucker won't age beyond dents/dings and unless you sweat acid that maple fretboard isn't going to "break in."

It's important to remember, black & white guards looked 50 years old in 1965, not just because the romantic idea that they were "played harder," but far more so because of the dramatically brittle finish which is non-existent on any new production guitars anyways whether it's "Flash Coat" "Thin Skin" "VOS" etc etc.

Still, 2012 was a HUGE step up in terms of all the little things like contours/geometry, colors & parts/hardware in regards to vintage accuracy.

pondcaster likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Whaaat? Your '64 is nowhere near negated. It's a fabulous guitar and in a proper thin nitro finish too.

AlbertaGriff and spenno like this.
  15. Mark Cheetah

Mark Cheetah TDPRI Member

I was interested in getting a '65 AVRI Stratocaster because I remember reading somewhere (I forgot where) that Fender used a more "brilliant" red in the 3 tone sunburst that particular year. That certainly seemed to be the case, judging by online photos... and the '65 AVRI looked REALLY good to me. It also seemed to have very little wood grain showing through.

The new American Original "60s series" Strats don't look the same. The paint job on the '65 model was unique, and now it's gone. :(

I totally agree. I feel that this American Original series is unnecessary because Fender already offers the MIM 50s, 60s, and 70s series instruments for much less money (unless of course, they discontinue that line as well and force customers to shell out big bucks for the new AOs). The specific year models seemed more "targeted" and accurate compared to ones that may encompass a decade of specs.

I apologize if the MIM Classic series has already been mentioned as discontinued... I haven't had a chance to research it yet, and I haven't read this entire thread. And yes, I know I should've bought one of these while I had the chance!

16. Mark Cheetah

I know I'm late to the party, but do they have anything left in stock? What's the name of these retailers? Thanks!!

jonnyfez likes this.
  17. Neon Soul

Neon Soul TDPRI Member

Honestly, for the money, if I wanted a dead on vintage spec tele (with a few modern upgrades like frets and radius) I'd prefer to build one from parts.

That way I can make sure it has a very thin finish, high quality saddles with good intonation, my ideal hand wound pickups, ideal knobs (and knurling for the nerds), router hump etc...

I just can't see the appeal of off the rack Fenders if you are looking for exact specifications. Just go custom.

Mark Cheetah likes this.
  18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I got mine from GAK. Not sure if they'll have what you want but here's the website:

https://www.gak.co.uk/

Mark Cheetah likes this.
  19. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Nice to see some decent body grain showing through again.

20. Mark Cheetah

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.