Fender Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ryan22Minor, Sep 3, 2019.

1. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

You are quite correct that people are people and the same machines with the same buttons are in both places.

What one pays for in the price differential between US and Mexican made (particularly as US made is in California), are the costs of employing people in the US, insurance, state, local and federal taxes, courts and tribunals operating on rules skewed in heavily in favor of employees and a million lawyers at the ready to exploit that and make the company pay, massive capital expenditure not just on equipment that is needed to produce the product but whose sole purpose is environmentally related.

Etc. It all has to be priced in to the end product.

Every one of my Fenders has a maple neck and I like rosewood. So I've looked at the various offerings from the licensed producers but always some aspect makes me reluctant to purchase.

In the end I finally resolved the problem by buying a Fender Bullet telecaster for less than the US neck alone now sells. It has a rosewood neck and it came from the Fullerton factory and left over 60s Kluson Deluxe tuners. And I got a guitar body with standard Fender quality electronics, Mustang pickups and a case as part of the deal.

2. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

I agree buying direct from Fender is a bit of a rip when you can get decent prices from several sellers on the bay. On the other hand if you don't mind learning how to crown, check level and polish frets then Warmoth has some at great prices, but you pretty much have to do all I just mentioned.

3. Popov

Popov TDPRI Member

When putting together the bits for a Doracaster last year I decided on a Misikraft ........ they have all the options and responded to my questions very quickly. I got a 9,5" radius, very deep V and super jumbo frets and was perfect other than the edges needing very slightly rounding ....... because I'd forgotten to ask them to do it ......... duh !

It came with a faint spray of lacquer so you have to factor in the cost of a finish and the slots in the nut needed slight adjustment when it was being set up ... but I'm very happy with it.

Just as well, considering the eye-watering Customs charges I paid to import it into the UK.

OK, there's no Fender logo ...... but apart from the design and the overwhelmingly sexy shape there's nothing Fender about it ..... and why should there be, if I wanted a Fender I'd have bought a Fender ...... but they don't make and sell what I wanted.

Dora

heffus likes this.
  4. Tedzo

Tedzo Tele-Meister

CFBD39D5-9470-42AB-95B7-316C858A4B9C.jpeg Sold my ‘53 neck for megabucks and bought a repro from Fender for $200. Can’t tell the diff... had a pro luthier set it up.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  5. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

Why spend the money on an expensive Fender neck? I recently purchased a replacement neck for my Jazzmaster on Ebay for $55.00. Sure, it was made in China (what isn't these days?) but it has 22 frets, block inlays, binding, and except for the nut, is of excellent quality. The nut was poorly cut plastic, so I had the local music store make one from bone and do a set up. I also found a Fender decal and added a set of Gotoh tuners, so this looks like the real deal and it plays great!

6. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

I guess this doesn’t answer the OPs concern, but as an aside I had to hav3 a ‘93 Am STD Strat neck replaced because it was twisted/warped. Done under warranty at a local authorized shop, the new neck had a ‘new’ serial number on it (not the one my guitar was born with). It’s a rosewood fb, the shape was the same and looks the same except for the SN issue and decal location....

7. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

For those who insist on the Fender logo on the headstock (and I'm one of you!), you can find a wide variety of decals that say "Fender" on Ebay. I paid $8.00 for mine...

8. kanegon

kanegon Tele-Meister

Just installed a new MIM Fender replacement Tele neck (12” radius, 22 fret, Pau Ferro). Aside from the unfinished nut, I was surprised at how well it was made. The relief needed a minor tweak, but there were no fret sprouts and zero leveling required. I’m kinda astonished at how they could manufacture a neck this good/complete without even mounting it on a body under proper tension. Right out of the box. I was certain any new neck would require leveling.

I’m pretty sure any premium you pay for Corona parts and guitars is coming from the additional quality control and better material. So even within the MIAs, there’s a hierarchy. They may be all CNC mass produced, but the extra labor and improved material is bound to make a difference. That said, I’m pretty impressed with these Ensenada replacement necks.

9. LuvMeATele

LuvMeATele TDPRI Member

The new roasted maple necks are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot express how great these necks are, especially for the price. Beautiful coloring, strong grains, and most importantly, they are the most comfortable necks I have ever played. Slightly rounder than a Charvel neck, but with the same satin poly flashcoat. They are an absolute dream to play. Seriously. They are amazing. Amazing amazing amazing.

10. Steel_Wind

Steel_Wind NEW MEMBER!

I recently purchased the MiM Classic 50s Tele neck, 21 Frets in Maple. The reason I ended up having to get it is a cautionary tale. I'll share.

I ended up purchasing a Chelecaster via AliExpress last April. I knew the thing would have crappy hardware, but was hoping that the cosmetics would be such that I would get away with a fret leveling and pay to upgrade the parts. This was for a player's guitar for my TEENAGE son -- not as a display piece or one that would be re-sold in any event -- so I was happy to go that route. Plus, the cream and white color was one my son wanted. It is a Xmas gift intended to be unwrapped later this year.

I checked the neck and frets when it arrived and while the 18th fret seemed to be a little high - it would be re-seated or - if it came to it -- filed to level. All seemed well on an initial first look on a technical basis. I couldn't try to play it, as I'm a lefty and the guitar is for my son who plays ordinary right handed - and so this wasn't a lefty I could try out.

I have to tell you all that in terms of the finish? The neck was an outstanding piece of bird's eye maple, with gloss finish on the stock and non-gloss on the back of the neck. It was STUNNING; all I could ever have hoped for. The frets had been crowned and filed nicely, too. Really impressed with the fret work, actually, given all of the horror stories I have heard/read online. Wow. I thought to myself with a grin, "Yeah, they must have exaggerated because this was the best looking maple neck on a guitar I had ever seen." I had rolled the dice and won!

I waited to bring the thing to a luthier to have the nut and tuners replaced, along with the pickups and electronics as I had planned to put an Obsidian Wire 4 way switch in there -- and Obsidian Wire has been sold out of their Tele kits since the spring. Despite my increasingly pointed e-mails, it's pretty clear that whatever part they need to make the Tele kits is a part that they can't get. So finally, two weeks ago, I said "screw it" and I decided to just get an Emerson Reverse 4 way Tele harness instead. So I got that, Fender Locking Staggered Tuners, a Tusq XL nut, Fender N4 pickups and brought it all over to my guitar tech for assembly and setup.

He looked at it and, just like me, was amazed at the finish on the bird's eye maple neck. "Is this Custom Shop"? he asked. "No no, just a Chelecaster that needs some love" I reply with a laugh. I pulled out a fret rocker to show him the slight height problem on the 18th fret and he agreed it probably needed re-seating but he would file and level if he had to.

Then he stood up and did the one obvious thing I never did. He put the Tele body at his feet with the stock pointed up towards his crotch, he looked down the headstock along the neck. "Oh ****. It's twisted AF" he says. "This neck can't be used".

Dismayed, I looked as well. Yeah. A clear but unmistakable twist leading out of the pocket favoring the bottom of the fretboard and up the neck to the headstock. Subtle, but once you are looking for it, you can't miss it.

Now, it might be that somebody well motivated to rescue that gorgeous bird's eye maple neck could fix it with a lot of work and re-fretting, but I wasn't going to do that - or pay to have it done. Live and learn: China strikes again. Even when they get it right -- they can still easily get it wrong.

A damned shame. Like I said, the finish on the neck was outstanding. When it comes to guitar finishes? The Chinese really DO know what they are doing. Technical luthier skills? Not so much.

[​IMG]

So I got a MiM neck and, along with the hot-rodded after-market parts, it's all together and awaiting opening under the tree. Darker, more yellowed maple does not look NEARLY as good as the white bird's eye - but at least this neck WORKS and allows you to play notes and chords with your fingers. That really is Job #1.

Yes, I could have bought a MiM tele for less - and even an American Performer would have been only a little more after all of the parts and labour I spent on this. And if it wasn't for a player's model for my son, I might care more about that than I do. But as a hot-rodded partscaster, this will do me fine. The neck feels great.

It's just a shame it doesn't look as good as the Chinese bird's eye maple!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like the way these FMIC replacement necks undercut the people offering other sourced necks with Bogus Fender decals affixed to them. If my guitar ain't a Fender, I don't want it to say Fender. The mere existence of these authorized replacement necks do is, increase the probability that the guitar in the pawnshop has at least some genuine aspect to it. I like that.

But don't get too carried away about the decal. If the neck is too thin, or doesn't feel right, that decal may help you sell the neck but that's what you'll end up doing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.