Fender Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ryan22Minor, Sep 3, 2019.

1. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've installed several of the MIM replacement necks, never a problem, it's about my favorite neck. Around $200 to $250, all I have to do is replace the nut with a tusq and they're ready to play.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I also have assembled several guitars made with both MIM and Made in America necks... No meaningful difference, .. other than some quasi prestige, I see no reason to pay extra for one made in Corona..

rk

3. Ronkirn

consider.... if the MIM parts were made in San Fran as an example.. that would place the factory almost 3 times as far away from Corona as Ensenada is.. and they would still be made of peoples of mixed origins, with the majority being Latina.

As far as I can see, the only difference is where the roof keeping the rain off the CNC machines and the guys that punch the on-off buttons is located, would be the distance between Corona and Ensenada... and.. the pseudo prestige some assign to a hunk of wood shaped by a computer that happened to be located in Corona.

rk

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

They are as good as the ones that come on their respective guitars.

The Classic Lacquer necks are intensely tinted. It's hideous to me. If one fell in my lap, I'd strip it and refinish it before ever putting it on one of my guitars. I'd never buy a neck that looked like that.

The AO one has an enormous markup for having the Fender decal.

Neither have any options.

Unless you really need that Fender decal, you are better off with Musikraft. It'd be ordered to your exact specs, and after having finish applied, still probably at least $200 cheaper for a neck with comparable options and at least equal build quality. If an Allparts neck is available with the specs you want, it's the best bang for the buck IMO/IME.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Matthias likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I completely agree. I wanted the 9.5" radius on my Jag so I went Classic Player anyway, but the 60s Lacquer is a pretty nasty shade of yellow and I would've thought twice about getting one if I wanted the 7.25". It's the one issue I have with my Jazzmaster Lacquer after mods.

I reckon the MiM necks are reasonable value for an official part and the quality, but if you're building not restoring, the MiA necks are way too much money for what's usually a fairly basic spec.

6. Ronkirn

ahh... true... and were it my choice, there are several better options... but, since ya cannot hear how a neck looks.. that's not on the radar when someone brings me a box of "stuff" and says make it make music... it's THEIR parts and my name isn't going on it...

that said, for some if it doesn't say Fender on the headstock no amount of superlatives will negate that omission.. for those guys the color of the tint or whatever isn't even a remote consideration.. it does, after all, have the correct logo on the headstock.. and for those guys, that's all that matters... so... one's as good as the other...

r

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The big difference is the MIM ones are glossy poly and the Corona ones are Glossy nitro

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

But oddly my hands seem to prefer poly (though I do dull it down with 3M pads). MIM nitro necks seem to stick more to my hands unless it's very cold, even after dulling down.

I fancy an Allparts neck for a project, but I don't like that the finished guitar will no longer have a Fender logo on it (and yes I know this is shallow, but there you go: It has one now but the frets are worn and I fancy a change of radius/fingerboard).

howardlo and rze99 like this.
  9. rze99

Whatever you prefer.

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes, I'm a cheap date. :D

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

recently got one for Start 7.25, Soft V, dark orange tint poly over decal, what they tinted it with I'll never dig down to in my life time. I sure as heck didn't pay those prices for it, I use my backstage points for nice guitars to buy necks and accessories from Musicians Friend.

A bit more "orange" than I typically care for, but the price was right and it is a nice neck.
    IMG_20190711_091834.jpg

12. rze99

"I'm now considering an AO 60's neck "

You may like to know I just put the AO '60s on a parts build in LPB. it's just like the '64 neck in carve I think, only 9.5. radius, round lam, bigger frets. Needed the edges rolling. Beautiful quality rosewood. I found it on-line at an EU store at £150 less the UK prices. Here's the build

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/62-cu...an-original-60s-avri-62-and-mij-parts.975539/

KelvinS1965 and Matthias like this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I’d be interested to know the store. I can see a few “in before Brexit” threads popping up :D

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I saw Muziker had the AO60s neck for mid £400 mark a week or so back, but out of stock now and back up to £580ish. I nearly ordered it, but read some poor reviews of Muziker and it put me off. I'm struggling to spend that amount on a neck alone though. I've seen it somewhere for £499, but not in stock, at a shop I'm sure I've bought from before, but can't find it now.

I keep looking at the MIM PF neck which is around the £200 mark...except it is 7.25" radius, so won't really be any different to the neck I have now (except the frets won't be worn out).

15. rze99

Yes I got the last Muziker one at that price. I mean, that's a good price for USA when you think that the AO60s in the UK is up around £1500 new. Frankly the neck and body are the main things the rest of the hardware is all the same money.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  16. JRapp

JRapp NEW MEMBER!

I don't see any reason to pay Fender's ridiculous markup to pay for the name of a guy who left the company over 50 years ago---the Allparts boatneck at 110 bucks worked just fine, Mike Lewis.

17. 1Peace

1Peace TDPRI Member

I build telecasters and I use All Parts necks. For a number of years I only bought Fender and they vary in quality. Until I had a commission to build a tele to match an early Japanese Fender. But I couldn't buy one, they didn't make them. Eventually I found my way to All Parts and they had the neck: 7.5" radius, rolled edges, Rosewood veneer board, traditional fret wire and I got a C shape as I was going to cut it down to my customer's spec.

I couldn't believe the quality when it showed up. The maple was superior to the average Fender neck. And it was less than half the price. Not all All Parts necks are as good. You have to know what you're buying. Since then I only use All Parts necks, they are licensed by Fender. Also they have a much larger variety to choose from. Finished and unfinished.
    All the tele's in the pic are All Parts necks.

18. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I have a AO60s. I like it a lot. I had to level the frets and roll the edges of the board in addition to setting up the nut. I don't see any mention from others regarding frets. Did no one else need to do that? I thought it was expected but maybe I got a bummer neck. Love it though.

19. ncsink

ncsink TDPRI Member

I personally like Musikraft & have experience with two of their necks. With Fender brand your options are pretty limited. For example, I had what I thought was a simple request: a vintage style lacquer neck but with a 9.5" radius. But nope; Fender doesn't make one, unless you want Custom Shop prices. I liked the Road Worn Tele neck, but it's a Urethane finish with a 7.25" fretboard. AND, other aftermarket brands don't have/offer the standard 1.65" nut width. Its actually pretty frustrating. Not Allparts, not Mighty Mite, not even Warmoth (until JUST this year). With Musikraft, I got all the specs I wanted. However (in full disclosure), I did have to finish the neck in nitro myself. Here are all the details:

20. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Honestly, it's not just about how the "neck looks". It's about investment of time and assurance of outcome.

I grew up as a kid with American Standard necks, and - while there are many who will belly-ache about the skinny "modern C" - it's what I grew up feeling was "right". I had the same experience with things like snow skis - you get used to a feel for the experience of using a particular vendor, and anything else doesn't "feel right". It is quite real.

So for my partscasters I'm OK w/paying the somewhat exorbitant price of Fender's Am. Std. necks (while they last) because it's what feels right to me. And I know what I will get, with no worry about something being a bit "off". Nothing wrong with that IMO. I've done rosewood and maple, and would do it again w/out hesitation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.