Fender Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ryan22Minor, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Ryan22Minor

Ryan22Minor NEW MEMBER!

Curious to hear thoughts on these necks. I am completely aware specs are completely different. Just want to know if you play one of these are you happy and does it exceed your expectations? is the quality of the American one worth the money?

(Mexican) Classic Series 50s Lacquer Telecaster Neck

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...h-c-shape---maple-fingerboard/0990063921.html

American Original 50s Telecaster Neck
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...-original-50s-telecaster-neck/0990132921.html

Greggorios likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I've bought 2 on Ebay; 1strat, 1 tele. The nut slots are marked but not filed.
    Up and running pretty quickly.
    Same quality and feel of any other MIM guitar you might pickup in a store.
    And has Fender decal.
    I was happy.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. DrBeezus

DrBeezus TDPRI Member

The 50's lacquer is amazing, have one on one of my teles right now although I did swap out the synthetic nut for bone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Greggorios likes this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I got a 50s Classic Lacquer Strat neck last year, and I'm very happy with it.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

The edges aren't rolled. That was my only complaint after a proper setup. I spent the better part of a month slowly rolling the edges with a screwdriver so as not to ruin the finish or end up with a scalloped board. Turned out fabulous. I'd say it's among the most comfortable necks I own. Well worth the price.

Greggorios and ben smith like this.
  6. DrBeezus

DrBeezus TDPRI Member

mine were

Greggorios likes this.
  7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The neck on my 50s Classic Esquire from 2006 has rolled edges, the 50s Classic Lacquer Strat neck from last year was not.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Go to musikraft

9. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I had the Strat neck. Hardest edges I've encountered so far but since been remedied.

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to beat Fender necks. The MIM are great necks at $200-250 new I was just eyeballing/feeling one at the local store.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

I put a MIM Maple replacement neck on one of my Teles and It plays great after getting the nut slots cut properly.

boris bubbanov and Greggorios like this.
  12. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

The 50s Lacquer neck is pretty skinny, if I do say so myself. Overall its just an okay neck. Theres probably a better Fender licensed neck for the same price.

Skydog1010 and Greggorios like this.
  13. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

The AO 50s Telecaster necks feel great, if you ever get a chance to play one. I played one at my local guitar store a couple of weeks ago, and it felt great!

Greggorios likes this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've noticed that the AO 50's neck has very similar specs to the MIM '51 Fat U neck that I recently bought, apart from being MIA and the nitro finish. I do really like the '51 neck though, which surprised me as it was a bit of a gamble to see if it helped with some hand problems/pains I sometimes suffer from.

I have two Classic 50s Teles, one nitro and the other is an older poly one. As perverse as it might seem to some, but I think I actually favour the poly necks I have (all have been dulled down with 3M pads to make them satin, but the nitro one still gets sticky even after 3+ years of very regular playing).

Typically I play a 7.25" radius, C or V shaped medium neck with vintage frets. While the '51 neck did feel strange at first, I've got used to it (I fitted it to a project Esquire/Partscaster that I'm playing so much I haven't got round to re-finishing the body as I had planned to do :D).

I now find that after a few minutes playing the '51 neck or going back to either of my Classic 50s that I soon adapt and just play without thinking about the neck. I think there is a lot to be said for having a variety of necks and not just sticking with a single variant as I had done previously.

I'm now considering an AO 60's neck for my nitro Classic 50s Tele as this is different again from the '51 neck and Classic 50s neck (I need one neck re-fretting, but figure I might as well use it as an excuse to expand the neck types that I'm playing). The AO 60s is a medium thickness, but still 9.5" radius and tall frets, so a mix of the two I'm currently used to.

howardlo and Greggorios like this.
  15. DrBeezus

DrBeezus TDPRI Member

But you don't get the fender logo which is basically what you are paying for.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

with a screwdriver? how would one go about doing that? never heard of it but i am intrigued. oh i think i get it, with a flat screwdriver of course? yeah good idea...

Greggorios likes this.
  17. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

There are youtube videos that demonstrate the process. You basically run the shaft of the screwdriver down the edge of the neck with slight pressure. This will wear down the wood and the cylindrical shape of the shaft will give you a rounded feel instead of the sharp angle on the neck. Slow and steady and it works nice but read up a lot before trying. I actually started with a Bic pen based on someone's recommendation. That was too slow but gave me the feel of how to do it before using something heavier.

ben smith and Greggorios like this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I got a Jag classic player neck. Nice flame and great quality. You need to file the nut slots as others have said and I had to roll the edges on mine too... I used a thin nail buffer (buffer not file, 45 degree angle across the edges between each fret) to do that as the screwdriver method can chip the finish edges on a rosewood board if you do it wrong.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I put a Classic Series 50s Lacquer on an MJT body. I really like it. I've had no problems whatsoever with it, no high or low or sharp frets.

20. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have used 3 MIM Replacement necks on partscasters - all were wonderful, and the pilot grooves make cutting the nut easy. :)

• Classic Series 50s Lacquer Tele, Maple
    • Classic Series 50s Lacquer Strat, Maple (love the soft V!)
    • Classic Series 60s Tele, Pau Ferro

KelvinS1965, Greggorios and Matthias like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.