1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender reinvigorates Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Four combo amps sold for every head sold. There’s the answer.

2. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Bassman and Showman didnt have reverb???. Did the Showman have reverb? I dont really want a Fender head without reverb.

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Bassman? No. Reverb turns a bass amp to mud when used for bass. Bassist and guitarist here.

Showman/Dual Showman? Maybe, as a special limited run, but IIRC, not as a standard catalog item.

That was a reason the standalone Fender Reverb unit was offered.

4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

When these combos were originally designed, I think most of the customers were young or middle aged. Now days, more and more amateur players are retired or close to it. Also, I gotta say, back in the 50s and 60s, folks were just harder. Many had grown up on farms and worked hard in factories and work crews. A 75lb amp wasn't that heavy next to a big bag of feed or a bag of cement, and it had a handle and maybe casters. As a teenager, a Twin wasn't intimidating, and I still haul one around. For now.

But anyone with a bad back or shoulder problems, they absolutely need to seek out a lighter alternative. Soon, aged players will outnumber youngsters and light cabs, neo speakers, and head/cab amps will proliferate.

oldfish and doghouseman like this.
  5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Exactly, plenty of choices and the cab would of course be player preference.

6. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Ah, so a completely different amp then, not just a head. Some folks are better off with a custom order from a small builder, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

oldfish likes this.
  7. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Yes, but guitarists have been playing through bassman amps for a long time. Also, isnt the bassman circuit pretty similar to the super circuit, except the super has reverb?

8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

With all due respect to everyone on this forum, I think that has happened already. I know it applies to me.

9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Don’t know. I’m not an expert on the circuit designs. Maybe @Wally can weigh in.

I know of a very close friend in NY who owns a genuine ‘59 Bassman, lovingly and professionally maintained. Uses it for low-volume bass gigs and for guitar. Voice of the Angels to some, way underpowered bass amp to others. YMMV.

The Super Reverbs I’ve heard since the ‘60s have all sounded great, and were loud AF.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair enough.

And I think we are in not-very-violent agreement here.

I’m no pro, but I’ve done my fair share of travel and/or backline shows. Every single time there was a Twin and/or Deluxe Reverb reissue. Or a Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe. Same with big festivals with backline.

I think it’s pretty telling that companies that make a living based on gear working chose the Hot Rod or reissues. And my techs say the Fender reissues are simple to work on. And road-worthy.

Way, way easier thanks any Vox AC amp ever made, hand wired or otherwise. And don’t get them started on Mesa ...

black_doug and Askwhy like this.
  11. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Exactly. Real techs are fine working on PCB amps, as that is what most amps are. Can you change a cap on a dark stage? No, but you aren't doing that on a ptp either. Real pros have backups and plan for shop time.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Yep, and a reason they made the bandmaster reverb, dual showman reverb. If you can't find something that will work for you in the standard fender line past and present, then you are probably going to need to go small/custom. That's why those guys are able to be in business. Fender has to sell x amount of units to make the production of a model feasible.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

If I'm not mistaken a requirement in Chuck Berry's performance rider in the '70's>...
    ( since Chuck didn't travel with a band or amp- just his guitar!)

...was that the venue furnish him (2) Fender Dual Showman Reverb amplifiers with corresponding speaker cabinets ( I think #2 was as a backup)

The Dual Showman Reverb was indeed a higher power Twin Reverb in head form- a beast, since it was deep enough to allow for Reverb pan too.

AND the cab was a 2X15" - wow!!

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Bassman amps and Super Reverbs.....it all depends on what Bassman amp one is comparing to a Super Reverb. A 5F6A Bassman???? Well, it and the Sr both have long tail pair phase inverters and a fixed biased output. Other than that, they have very different preamps. upper Reverb and 6G6/6G6A/6G6B Bassman....same thing...except the Normal channel of the Bassman has some similarities t9 the Normal .channel of the SR. Sr to Bf Bassman amps....depends on which Bassman...there are three. The first two BF Bassman have a OT AO channel that is like the Normal channel of the SR. The AB165...and the SF Bassman’s based on it, have a Normal channel that is hotter than the Super Reverb. The later Bassman amps in the ‘70s went back to hav8;g just two gain stages in the Normal channel, and those are similar to the Normal channel of the SR.
    Had Fender maintained an amp like the 5F6A Bassman, the only reason that Marshall would have had a market would have been that the tariffs in Great Britain on the importation; of U.S. products would have made the Fenders less attractive than the Marshall’s, whic( were based on that 5F6A/5F8A circuit. Marshall built his first amps because the players 2anted that 5F6A Sonic...but it was expensive!

doghouseman and Ronzo like this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You have the timeline correct. Also, you are correct, Mr. Zinky made some small tweaks and they changed the cosmetics for the CVR.

I have been under the impression that the '68CVR was a little further tweak to this same circuit.

LOL, I don't think any of us are grumping about it. I am certainly not. I love my Fender Reissue amps. I think the Pro has a lot going for it! (The Champ? Eh, not so much)

I also agree that it's exciting that Fender is putting out a single 12, 40 watt combo! The fact that it has bias vary trem just seems like a bonus!

I didn't discover the '63 VVRI until long after they had been discontinued. I was a very casual player when they were out in stores.

Although, my VVRi has fallen into fourth or fifth place amongst my amps, I doubt I will ever sell it. It's a fantastic amp! My Bassman is still in heavy rotation, though!

Ahhhh, the head vs. combo discussion again! LOL

Askwhy likes this.
  16. strat a various

If only new amps are available, I always ask for TRRI. They sound like a BF Twin for all intents and purposes. The House of Blues in Vegas had newer Ampeg amps on at least the restaurant/bar stage, and most of the sound techs pushed those amps. Terrible sounding amps ... not like old Ampegs. Isn't Ampeg owned by Yamaha now? Craptacular amps, Ampeg.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Kind of an odd choice. What modern guitar amps does Ampeg even make? Any?

18. strat a various

This would've been 2010 or so, so maybe VH140 type amp? Not sure.

19. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They actually do exist, I own one :p

doghouseman likes this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.