1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender reinvigorates Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

Very nostalgic, but I rather just pony up a few extra bucks and
    get something like this (used).

upload_2021-1-20_20-42-52.jpeg

black_doug likes this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Fender reuses the long respected Pro Reverb name to pass off a completely different amp and add credibility to it...
    They own the name and can do what they want .

oldfish likes this.
  3. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

If you have liked, maybe growing up them, or have gas for the Princeton Reverb and can't fork over the money asked for one .... then there is your chance to get a somewhat similar type amp for hundreds less. I really don't know if it will sell well, for Fender has such a plentiful array of offered amplifiers. Personally I do enjoy a tiny bit of vibrato, but not enough to rush out and get one. If I played surf music or music that uses vibrato, I would be frothing at the mouth waiting to get one, to use at home or band practices. I think its saving grace is it being a five watt Class-A amp, a sellable feature because there is not alot offered by Fender, save the Champ.

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

If there is one thing I positively do not want, it is a little tube amp than distorts sooner than it already does. YYMV.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Since it is only one channel, I would wager it is not... I bet they finally ran out of back stock of them! LOL

But, isn't the '68 Vibrolux a 6g16 variant? They took the same circuit and fiddled with a few values in the EQ and NFB. I seem to recall a few innards pics of the '68 and it looked similar to my '63 VVRI. But, I might be incorrect.... I don't have any personal experience with the '68 Vibrolux, I never found one in a store to actually try out. In fact, I've never even seen one in real life... They're like the Sasquatch of amps! Wait, are we sure they ever actually made them? LOL

6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think Fender was definitely trading on 'the Drip Edge are more desired than later Silverface amps' thing, for sure!

They tried trading on the Brownface cosmetics with one of their first Reissues. Tweed for the other. I love the Brown and Blond amps, I think they're some of the best looking amps of all time. But, I guess most people don't feel the same. Many more Custom Vibrolux Reverbs sold in blackface cosmetics, than the previous Viborverb Reissues. And Fender stuck with the blackface look for a lot of their amps, even ones shaped like the old tweed amps (the Hot Rods, etc.).

Now, I guess they're working on the Silverface thing for a while....

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

very very broad strokes:

from what I've read, the 63 VV was turned into the custom vibrolux by Zinky in the mid ninties?
    I think his mods were essentially to add reverb to both channels and reduce/remove? the NFB.

soo I did some very cursory google'n

63VV is released in 1990(ish)

the VRC is released somewhere around 1995(ish)

looks like reviews for the 68VR are showing 2014.

I think it's sort of like the blues junior PCB progression, there are multiple versions/variations/revisions of the same basic design/formfactor/pcb base. (green board/cream board/etc.)

it would be nice if @ricks57custom could elaborate on this sort of stuff. We are all very aware of the hardwired cork sniffer vintage or die crowd, but some of us are fans of the modern fender reissue products and are interested in these sorts of minute details.

8. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Man you guys are some pedantic grumps. It's a tube Fender 1x12, 40 watt, light amp that will sound like a great fender. Enjoy it for what it is or don't buy it. I can't wait!

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

And wasn't despite a different name, the late '90's BF/w white knob-Custom Vibrolux Reverb, closer ( in circuit) to the '63 Vibroverb, to the original Vibrolux Reverb?

I was bummed when Fender discontinued the '63 Vibroverb RI
    ( the same buddy I referenced earlier just bought one, and it is awesome! I've played it just at low volume, but it is luscious!) as I did think it was a beautiful look.

Plus it, along with the '59 Bassman RI, was a real 'turbo-boost' for Fender getting their respect back as being leaders in good tube amps again...

If I were a '63 Vibroverb RI that could feel and talk, I would have said:

"How could you do this to me?, I thought you loved me!"

oldfish likes this.
  10. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

The '68 Custom Vibrolux was closer to the AA568 circuit that has some tweaks. The Pro is based on the AA165 circuit with some tweaks to the negative feedback, tone stack and a SS rectifier. Hope this helps.

11. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

I wish fender would make some more head/cab combinations. Their amps are just too heavy.

black_doug likes this.
  12. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

^This one (new Pro) will be a lighter combo than most 40 watt heads? TMDR= 23lbs. What specifically would you be looking for if not a bandmaster reverb, bassman, etc?

13. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

super, twin, pro, vibroverb.

This is lighter because of the neo speaker. Give me a head AND a neo speaker and I would be happy.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now 35 lbs is too heavy for a 40w amp? Tough crowd.

Separately, this thread exposes an interesting dichotomy. Players vs “collectors”. The latter term isn’t precisely right.

But most players just want an amp that sounds great, has the right features and the right form factor. They don’t much care what’s under the hood - at least the details. And they line a name they recognize like Fender or Marshall or Vox. Maybe Ampeg.

Then there are the “collectors”. Who want everything authentic.

Fine to be in either group. But I’m pretty comfortable most of the gear is sold to players today. And that’s who these aim at IMO.

15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You missed a third category ... professionals who need the amp to sound good, maybe look good, and be reliable ... and is repairable under field conditions for many predictable breakdowns: easily accessed fuse, easy to access speakers, tough wiring to withstand rough handling (roadies, maybe), chassis easily removed foe inspection and soldering.
    Admittedly a small demographic.

oldfish and MilwMark like this.
  16. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Well, it is not that big a deal, at a manufacturing level, to make a head/cab versus a just a combo. Marshall has been doing it for a long time. Not sure why Fender never followed.

I ended up converting my Vox AC15 into a head and it is much easier to move around.

17. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

We do this every so often but unfortunately Fender heads sell less than four to one to combos. These days we'll do limited runs of stuff like that so we meet the smaller demand. We did the '57 Deluxe and '65 Deluxe Reverb heads that were cool in limited quantities. We would never say never but the demand would have to be high. :)

MilwMark and Mexitele Blues like this.
  18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

No offense ... I always wonder what these sentiments mean. Yeah, the owner, boss, CEO, whoever, can do whatever they want with their property... who has challenged that? Forum members also are free agents and can (within the rules of the forum) publish a contrary view to business decisions they interpret as lame.
    This dance isn't necessary every single time a consumer remonstrates a proprietor. No offense intended.

19. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Fender did:
    • BF/SF Bandmaster
    • BF/SF Bandmaster Reverb
    • BF/SF Bassman
    • BF/SF Showman
    • BF/SF Dual Showman
    • A number of limited production editions, e.g., Deluxe Reverb head.
    Combos were perceived as easier to load in/out, especially if on dollies or casters. May not be true for every player.

The key to me is the open-back vs. closed-back cabinet concerns, for tone and sound dispersement.

Askwhy likes this.
  20. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Man.. 65 Deluxe Reverb head would be COOOLLL.

Throw in an effects loop and you have a killer amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.