Fender reinvigorates Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Sombrero Top, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Another PCB piece of junk with the Zinky NFB gambit. Yes, it's louder...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Viejo, Rocky058, DADGAD and 5 others like this.
  3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

both look pretty sweet to me- I like that pro: powerful light weight, single channel is fine-looks like a winner to me-heck I wish I could buy a vintage one of these...

jglenn and gridlock like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m curious about the Pro.
    Thanks!

5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I like everything about these but the digital hall reverb in the Vibro Champ. I suppose their wasn't room in either the cabinet or the manufacturing budget for springs.

glenlivet, radiocaster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  6. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

I've got a '68 Bandmaster Reverb that I re-housed as a 1x12 combo, which is basically a Pro 1x12 plus a mids knob.
    It is THE perfect sized amp for me - at 35 watts, it works in almost any situation and will get up over a loud drummer.
    I have often wondered why, given the massive success of the size/weight/power combination of the Hot Rod Deluxe, that Fender didn't do the same thing with a vintage-style amp. Now here it is, finally....

Andy B, brookdalebill and MilwMark like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking that it was ( maybe) weighing the actual quality of the Reverb tone:

Real spring Reverb from a short spring pan ( which sounds just like that) vs. digital reverb which though a model, may impart more depth.

( I own amps with both and the digital 'spring reverb' sounds pretty good)

* the Vibro Champ could be fun, but too much $$ for me.

Ringo and Edgar Allan Presley like this.
  8. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Kind of sad to see the new Pro Reverb come as a single channel amp (I play fiddle and guitar, and am always on the lookout for two-channel amps). I love my '67 blackface Pro - just the perfect size for clubs, and even outdoor shows. On the other hand - a 40-watt, 30lb. amp with a neo speaker sounds very interesting. :)
    Out of the '68 custom amps I tried at the local music store, my favorite was the (now discontinued) Vibrolux. :cry:
    I may have to go try them, once they've been released!

9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Maybe that's it: the size of the cabinet. Fender's site shows the new Vibro Champ Reverb being 16.88" wide, while Custom Princeton Reverb being 19.875". Princeton Reverbs have the long pan.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Fender should’ve made a 2 6L6 1x12 amp with reverb at the beginning of the BF amp era. I imagine it would have been pretty popular.

11. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

New "68 Pro" is an interesting package, but why is it the same price as the 68 Custom Twin Reverb???

12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Speaker technology was way behind what's available now. A 50 watt amp into 1x12 would blow the speakers of the 60s. Even a JBL. There may have been a Gauss or an Altec 12" that could handle 50 RMS watts, but a speaker like that would be too expensive for a Fender blackface amp and might not have even sounded good in that configuration.

When speakers that could reliably handle that power became more affordable, Leo came out with the MusicMan RD-50.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You'll have to make up your mind what you want, though. This new one isn't anything like the old one. It's just got the same name.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  14. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's a clever feature set. I see the appeal.

MilwMark and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So, is the this new Pro basically a Viborverb 6G16, in a new box and one less channel?

Hmmm, it's kinda like a big Princeton Reverb? Maybe?

I doubt I'll rush out to buy one, but it is intriguing. I do love my Neo Creamback. I think they're incredibly good speakers!

16. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I'd wish it had a tube recto, I'd be in line for one as it's pretty much a big ass princeton.

not sure why they bring it so far just to hamstring it with the NFB reduction and the SS recto.

Anyone can pop a SS recto into a tube socket, having that option is really nice.

The whole NFB loop would be infinitely cooler if it was switchable between a "vintage stock" value and the "modified" value. (hell! make the rectifier switchable!).

little details like this would obviously translate into a higher cost, but I honestly think those would make it a run away success.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  17. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Gosh Fender amps are expensive for what you get. My Allen Accomplice cost only a little more than that, and it's a handwired work of art inside. Same watts and it comes to nearly the same weight in my homemade pine cab.

18. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I want to make a reverb amp with the Tweed cabinet size (13.5" x 12" x 7"). I did build it up for push pull output, a pair if 12AQ5's for power. But maybe I should just do a 6V6 output? The short tank that Fender used in some SS amps will fit in the bottom. Will use SS for the verb though. I want it to just plop down on the tabletop wherever I decide to noodle around.

19. ricks57custom

ricks57custom TDPRI Member

In case you guys didn't see the link I put in the other thread, below is a quick clip of me playing it at home until our professional videos come out so you can hear it early:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKAMZhzs8rj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

The reduction in NFB is about half as much as the Deluxe Reverb so it's a nice balance of traditional sound (based on the AA165) but with more dynamics and less scooped. I know that the tube rectifier was in the original but honestly the feel on higher powered amps isn't affected the same way it is on lower wattage, under filtered amps. We didn't hear a difference so we thought this was the right call. The amp is smaller than a Deluxe and weighs less too, 35 lbs! I'm excited for folks to play these in person.

MilwMark, Askwhy, Rockinvet and 7 others like this.
  20. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

“Fender's '68 Custom line seeks to recreate the sounds of its most coveted guitar amps, and for 2021, the company has added two new classic designs to the range.”

Is the author trying to say silverface amps are the most coveted from Fender, or that these two new amps sound like Fender’s most coveted amps? If it’s the former, it sure seems silverface amps are the exact opposite. If it’s the latter, it doesn’t really seem like it with the modified circuits...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.