1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Ramparte - Schematic

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by GERPUD, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Actually, I agree it will lack bass frequencies - with the stock speaker.

But with either a Greenback or Vintage 30 (or an old 8-ohm CTS I tried) it had plenty of bass. The stock speaker has a very weak low end.

Also, changing the mix resistor (R16) to a lower value both balances the channels a bit and improves overall frequency response in both channels.

But that C19 cap definitely has to go! It just strangles the hot channel - I think they were trying to get a rolled-off "woman tone" type sound when the amp was cranked, and it does that to a point - but it just ends up very muddy. removing that cap is like taking 10 blankets off the amp.

2. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

Hi, new to the forum and thinking of adding the extra filter stage yo reduce the noise but would anyone know how to fit a vvr kit to the amp? i'm thinking it would be great for pushing the amp at low volume. any help would be great.

3. madiskallas

madiskallas NEW MEMBER!

Put it all to tutorial?

This all sounds really awesome! I wonder that if anyone, like me, who isn't really "home" with circuits and stuff could do some of the most important mods? Would it be possible for someone to put together a list of must-do-mods-for-dummies tutorial? What exactly to cut and what exactly to solder where.

That would mean a world for me and I'm sure for a lot of others who end up in this thread, trying to figure out solutions for their Ramparte problems.

Two critical concerns that I have about my Ramparte is:
    * I want to turn the amp down to bedroom level some times
    * I want to get rid of that annoying hum
    (* I would like to improve the sound so it sounds even better!)

I know thats a lot to ask, but maybe someone could put together a simple tutorial and shopping list?

4. madiskallas

madiskallas NEW MEMBER!

And/or - any ideas how to install a VVR to Ramparte? Or is there any other way to control the output volume? I feel that the stock "Volume" pots act more like Gain.

5. Blackstar

Blackstar TDPRI Member

Schematic

Here is a schematic for the Ramparte, The nice people at Fender sent it to me

Attached Files:

6. davewrites

davewrites TDPRI Member

Broken pic at my end. @Blackstar, can you repost?

7. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Another hum problem...

terrible and annoying hum in my ramparte...

I am not able to do the choke mod. :(

But I can make the c15 mod ;)

I have a 47uF (350V), if I understand correctly, I have to weld in parallel with 47uF (500V) place in c15.

Right?

I turned 90º the OT and still as annoying hum ...

8. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

c15 mod done, and same result. Still humming :(

More value than 47uf do something?

9. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

Why cant you do the choke mod? if i underatnd it the c15 mod requires 2 47uf 450v caps and the choke goes between c11 and c15 with the trace scratched out on the back.

10. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

I'm not an electronic tecnic. I'm a guitar player.
    I can solder a cap, but install a choke... definitly not.
    I only have a solder machine with a tin roll, and It's all I can try

11. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

i am thinking of getting another ramparte and putting a 5f1 champ with vvr and 12 inch speaker it would be a great frontroom amp

33Jayman likes this.
  12. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. Joshbailz

Joshbailz TDPRI Member

I ended up buying a fender micro eq, great little pedal and provides enough flexibility to get whatever tone you want. I'd also recommend swapping the speaker, I've got a vintage 30 in mine and it's sounds far better, far more low end and less of the waffley mids. It still misses that sparkle at the high end but the eq gives you that.

14. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Finally I managed to reduce the hum with a simple mod just as users of the fender pro junior usually do.

Putting in V1 and V2 tubes 12ax7WA

Hum and hiss do not disappear but they fall remarkably to reasonable levels.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

@Silverface I'm thinking of taking the hour drive out to a music store that has a used Ramparte for sale for $299; they've had it listed for 10 months and I'm guessing they'll deal a bit.
    For some reason I'm really intrigued by these, mainly as a fun project amp to experiment with. Although I like the excelsior cabinet looks a lot more, the single-ended 6L6 circuit appeals to me. You have both; do you still play them?
    Since I'm going to be building either a 5e3 or a 5F2a later this year, I've also considered just getting an excelsior cabinet for the build, since I like the style of it so much.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I gave the Ramparte to an maples buddy - if I did have it I'd play it fairly often and I still play around with the Excelsior. Both are fun mod platforms; for those that aren't well-versed in electronics tube changes are good simple changes that can make pretty significant differences, as do speaker changes.

17. Det59

Det59 NEW MEMBER!

Hi all,

I'm the owner of a Ramparte for three days now (one of the last two to buy in Europe, I suppose). I think, I have mainly read this thread, but my problem seems not to be mentioned: The primary winding of the output transformer in this category should be about 2.5 k to 3.5 k, right? As far as I can see, most replacements reach from 4 k to 8 k, the latter usually not single ended. The point I do not understand: I measure 260 Ohm at my device (believe me, no mistake) - and the Ramparte still works without "red cheek tube", but with super bad frequency response: no treble, few bass - and a boss Equalizer GEB 7 is not able to change this in any way. That is, why I think, the transformer is damaged.

Is there someone to confirm this? Or are 260 Ohm really the correct resistance?

18. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Howdy.
    Loaned my ramparte to a friend and got it back with fuse blown. Seems like the power transformer secondary overheated. Can anyone tip me where to find a new one? Or at least - what the output voltage should be? Primary 230V - output 330V, or...? Could someone please measure it, if not known..?

19. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Could someone try to even guess the specs of ramparte power transformer (230V primary)?

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You should download the schematic, it says 166VAC for the part before the rectifier, and 3.25VAC for the heaters. Measured the first secondary and it was about twice the 166V, didn't measure the part for the heaters because it is hard to get to and obviously twice that as well.

I'm not an expert into how transformers are measured by the manufacturer.

The fuse being blown does not necessarily mean the transformer is faulty.

I hope you know basic safety because it can get dangerous.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.