Fender Pure Vintage 64' Tele Pickups vs Bare Knuckle Blackguard 55' Stagger Pickups ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bancha333, Nov 16, 2019.

1. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm planning a replacement on my alder telecaster (with rosewood fingerboard) pickups.
    Did anyone compare these sensors ? Fender Pure Vintage 64' Pickups vs Bare Knuckle Blackguard 55' Stagger.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope. But my AV64s are the best Fender pickups I've played. And close for best ever (Stuart Blackguards claim that title).

I had never played BKs, but have new respect for them in my Marr Jag. Very nice... Not Tele pickups, of course... But BK is now on my radar...

41144, dreamingtele, MilwMark and 3 others like this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Have not compared, but I love the '64's. A lot!

MilwMark, howardlo and Fretting out like this.
  4. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

yes it's hard to decide between two great ones

BKs

Fender

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it comes down to you more than us. These are two rather different sounding pickups. Which sound works best for the music you play?

Still can't decide? Maybe it's time to build a partscaster so you can have BOTH!

whoanelly15 likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

Granted, those are two GREAT sounds...so I feel your struggle.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

This! Both sound great. And both of these players will likely make anything sound great. Harder to tell listening than playing yourself.

For me, the strat neck pickup sound is the basis for most of my favorite guitar sounds. The 64 tele set’s neck pickup is as “stratty” as a tele pickup will ever sound - very smooth, vocal and balanced. Comparing to the blackguard, (at least in these demos) clean to clean, the blackguard just sounds more traditional “rhythm” or “bass” channel to me. Maybe that’s what you want though - still a great sound.

Disclaimers: 1) You can’t tell what these guys are doing on the tone and volume knobs in these. 2) All the overdriven sounds in the first demo sound great. 3) And personally, I settled on the AV64 for my first tele, largely because of the pickups, so I’m somewhat biased.

8. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I had the 64s. I think the regular old 62s kill em.

9. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the feedback and comments on the sounds. really difficult decisions.

10. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

I want to keep only one guitar. I play mostly rock music, sometimes something like SRV / Hendrix.
    By the way, the pickups will be with 4-way wiring.

11. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

well, I can say this....my BP tele has a "custom wound" 64 in its bridge. I love it so much. however I am a bit of a mark for ol brad so im probly biased. BUT it has all the snappy tele sound I like but with some low end on it. which I like. BUT I doubt you would be disappointed with anything that bare knuckle makes. if its cost, 64s will keep you happy im sure.

I have not A/B'd them though.

12. El Tele Lobo

Based on that, I would probably go with the Knuckles, out of the two.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The AV ‘64s are the best vintage style single coil Tele pickups I’ve played.

howardlo, 8trackmind and whoanelly15 like this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

Actually, rethinking...based on this, I would do a mixed set. Something akin to the bridge in the BN 55s and the neck in the 64 set. I think that would be MOST ideal. That will require mixing brands (which can get messy...particularly where polarity and hum cancelling are concerned) or getting BN to make you a set.

You might look at the Bootstrap Pretzel set. I think it would be just what you're looking for...Broadcasterish bridge with a little more girth and thickness for rock and underwound neck for a more stratty (though not necessarily strat-like), bluesy sound. And for less money than either of the sets you're considering. I just got his Palo Duro set and they are AMAZING.

The Cavalier Nashville (or if you want a little more Fat) Lion bridge and Lioness neck would be another possible option.

15. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

^^
    I will second that. If you’re having a hard time deciding, consider Bootstrap. No one here hasn’t loved their Bootstraps and you could buy 3 of their sets for what the 64’s will cost you. Ryan would even be able to wind something to your exact spec.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Really? The '64s cost $83 per set. I have trouble believing any winder is selling sets for under $28 per SET (i.e., under $14 per pickup). How could that be worth their time and materials?

moosie likes this.
  17. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

I think Fender PV '64 is the best Fender has made.

8trackmind likes this.
  18. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

1EECD2B3-B9F6-4EF2-9A49-641EF31705B9.png
    Mark - you and I are on the same city! Who do you know that can get you those pups for that cheap?! And can you introduce me?! :)

19. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

And I got a set of Bootstrap Palo Duros for 45 bucks shipped. So, at least at full price, I’m pretty sure my math is ballpark.

20. bancha333

bancha333 TDPRI Member

Bootstraps look interesting. I just don't know if shipping to Europe is expensive for me.

Bare Knuckle also offers me a Blackguard 52 neck, which has a more stratty tone and is wound with the same wire as the stratocaster pickups.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.