Fender Pure Vintage 58 Telecaster pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Maradona86, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Anyone put these in a tele? Anyone played a tele with them? I have a FSR BSB tele that has some very dull, inarticulate ceramic pickups. Time to swap and it's between these and Twisted Tele pickups. youtube vids are kinda meh (i went there already). Any info would be great. Thanks!

2. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I have not tried the 58's but every other Fender pickup I have used was great. Never had a problem with any of them. I used the OV's, Nocasters, Baja set, 62's and even a MIM 60' bridge pup. I am sure the58 set will sound great as well. You can get them for less than $100 on eBay right now.

Maradona86 likes this.
  3. sammy axe

sammy axe Tele-Meister

I've not tried them but they probably sound alright. There lots of guys these day that could probably wind you a set for about the same price.

krowbot and Maradona86 like this.
  4. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Did you watch the YouTube video where the guy compares a a guitar with Custom Shop '51 Nocasters, one with Pure Vintage '58s, and one with Pure Vintage '64s (maybe they were '68s)?
    I was in the market for replacements and watched it. I actually really preferred the sound of the '58s over the other two, but, succumbed to the "Custom Shop" tag and I found them at a great price. The Nocasters sounded almost as good and now installed in my guitar I love 'em.
    I don't seem to be able to find that YouTube link for you, but, I don't think you would regret the '58s.
    '51s bright and jangly, '58s, to my tastes, sounded like a Telecaster should, but, the '64 or '68 sounded a little darker (I wouldn't say muddy, but, close).
    Anyway, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Maradona86 likes this.
  5. Telacious

Telacious TDPRI Member

I've had them in my 50s baja tele (ash/maple) since about a week or two after I got it. It's been about 2 years now. I love 'em. They're very sweet sounding but lack nothing in the punch category if you work them. I mostly plug into a '65 DRRI and it's just great--gives super sweet bell-like tones to nice OD growl from the bridge with the amp pushed. The neck can get a nice, round SRV-like tone. Run them together parallel, and it's just great classic tele finger pickin' goodness--i.e. "chime".

When making my choice, there were two main videos that influenced me:

My observation: the first video gives a pretty good representation of what you can get,depending on the rest of your rig. The second video is good at showing the sweetness these pickups are capable of--but they can get a lot ballsier than what this second vid sounds like.

I really wanted to be able to get back to that jangly, sweet sound if I wanted to (and I often do)... My baja came loaded with broadcaster bridge and twisted tele neck--good pups, hotter than the "vintage voiced" (and constructed) 58s and a little thicker in the mids, so they wouldn't quite get the sound I was after. The 58s deliver that sound in spades and combine well with drive and distortion pedals too. I've seen some places lately selling matched sets new for around $80. I say give 'em a shot if sweet vintage is what you're after.

6. Horsin Hank

Horsin Hank Tele-Meister

I can tell you that the pure vintage 58s dont sound quite as good as the CS 58s. I went with the CS 58 at the bridge and a CS 52 at the neck. Works well for me. Also, the CS Broadcaster works well with the Twisted Tele neck. Im really liking that.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've played them in my AV58 for a few years, and yeah, they sound just like a Tele should. Wiry and bright. Snarly and sweet.

I've recently swapped mine out for a pair of Stuart Blackguards, but that says more about the Stuarts than the '58s. And I'm holding on to the originals.

Either those or the AV64 set, both very nice vintage voiced pickups.

FrontPU likes this.
  8. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Perfect description of what I expect from a tele...
    My main tele currently has Fender PV '58 neck and '64 bridge, btw.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I may well be confused about Fender pickup names... the 60s Baja (whihc I have) has the "American Vintage '58 Single-Coil Tele".
    Is that different to the "American Pure Vintage '58 Single-Coil Tele"?

10. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I have a Tele with American Vintage '58 pickups. They sound pretty good, but if I was shopping for a replacement set of Fender Tele pickups I would go with either Nocaster or Original Vintage.

11. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

I guess they are the same PUs, but am not 100% sure.
    You should make a call to Fender customer service 1-844-202-0924.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.