Fender Pro Reverb - To trade or not to trade?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kelleycaster, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Reverb tanks are $20 to $30 at www.tubesandmore.com, very often the problem is the RCA cables or the footswitch.

ravindave_3600 and gridlock like this.
  2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

A good MOD Reverb tank is $30 and new wires maybe another $20. There are so many replacement parts out there for old Fender amps. You could have that amp looking new easily.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Don't throw out the reverb tank just yet. There's a 110% chance that amp needs service, replace ALL the electrolytics and check the tubes. Pretty good chance that'll get that dead tank working again. I've seen that happen plenty of times with those things.
    Before you get an ultra linear keep in mind if you don't like it it's not an easy sell. Big amps in general aren't and the ULs are worse.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have a 71 Pro Reverb but I don't use it much, it's heavy as a Twin.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

That's still a lot of watts, but could be offset by less efficient speakers. Looks like stock speakers too. Ditto on the reverb tank, it may get corrected with a service and tube checkout. Also, the reverb cables go bad, any RCA patch cable will work to check the reverb tank. If you plan to overdrive the power section, I'd say its still going to be too loud. 40W is too loud to overdrive the power section for most sub-arena venues. Still a cool amp, and with the right pedals, should produce some great tone.

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Be a shame to trade for an amp thinking you've spent $600 and then take it to a tech and have them charge you appropriate stuff like replacing all the electrolytics if that hasn't been done since the 70s (or even since the 90s I suppose), but maybe then pump the bill up with some inappropriate stuff like all new tubes or new tank and cables, and charge you a markup on top of the retail price of the parts--can techs these days even get wholesale? Maybe even throw in a free lecture about how small businesses are entitled to your support and they're doing you a favor gouging you to pay their overhead on the space the landlord is gouging them . . .

Could be $900 and no guarantee of loving the amp. Lots of options for someone who actually wants medium-sized venue loud and is OK with a large combo, as so many players move away from those. Best of luck

rangercaster likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

It looks to be in fairly good condition for an amp of that era. If the reverb tank in not working, it could be something very simple to fix and you may not have to replace it. A good amp tech should be able to help you out for not that much money I would think.

Oh yes! Check to see if the electrolytics in the power supply have been changed. Always a problem for amps this old.

8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I think exactly opposite. Most $600 twins out there are sick, and in need of service [and folks falsely blame the design...]. After I have one serviced by reputable techs that really know Fenders, I KNOW I have a fully functional, authentic amp, and any shortcomings are me, not the amp. Plus, its fresh with years of service ahead, and healthy thus gig-worthy. I'd rather have $900 in a fully functional, fresh known-quantity amp, than $600 in a sick, sad false example of a Twin.

9. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

Well, I replied to him saying I was going to take him up on it, and no reply for three days...

Good news is I struck up a trade on another Fender amp. :)

This time it’s a 1982 Fender Concert 1x12 Revera era combo. Everything is original, and it appears to be in near mint condition.
    From what I hear these amps are between a DR and a Twin in terms of loudness. Anybody have one?

gridlock and Snfoilhat like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

No experience on 80’s Fender amps. There should be some good information out there on the web. Looks like still handwired and I see asking prices from $500 - $800.

Revera made some good amps, I believe that I read that he was trying to make Fender amps more Mesa Boogie like?

Love to see some photos.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Kelleycaster likes this.
  11. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

Here’s one picture: (I’ll take some better ones after (if) it becomes mine.) Did I mention it includes the original footswitch? :)

Attached Files:

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Good, that it is not the 4x10 Concert version that would be a harder resell. Do your homework and remember that it will still need servicing (expect $200). Maybe a negotiating factor that you would want to disclose.

13. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

My friend has one, it sounds great clean. The dirty channel isnt great imo.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Never got into the Revera era amps. They must have a lot if fans though because everyone tries to pass off every post 1980ish Fender as a "Revera Era Amp" when they sell.
    As far as I know this really is a Revera amp and even if you don't end up liking it you shouldn't get hurt too bad.
    It is old enough that I'd be doing fresh electrolytics.

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

A roller rink would echo like crazy, making an amp seem MUCH louder. On the other hand, besides four fingers and a thumb, I sometimes play assisted living centers, using my Twin Reverb (non MV). Volume is critical in these gigs, as you can well imagine. It helps that I play with a clean sound, so just turn it up just loud enough to fill the room with sound, then back it off a notch or so, adjust tone to taste, and make 'em smile. Volume is about 2.5 to 3, treble 8, mid 7, bass 5, reverb 4, sound is glorious!

BobbyZ and schmee like this.
  16. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Larger BF Fenders don't sell for as much as the smaller ones. You could find a nice BF Pro Reverb for under $1K. I have a '66 that stays in the shop but is an exceptional tone monster.

gridlock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.