Fender Pro Reverb Reissue? 1x12!?!??

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I found one of these on eBay and I've never even heard of them. 1x12 combo at 50w. It looks like it has a switch in the back to run it at 1/4 power! Have you guys seen these? The ad says it was only reissued for one year. Maybe that's why I haven't seen one. I'm kind of drooling over it. It seems like it would be just what I need. Louder/cleaner than a DRRI but lighter than a twin. Is this the case? I'll post the eBay link below. I need something loud and clean but somewhat light and portable. I play country with a single coil telecaster.
    Thanks.
    Gary.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=350888647701

2. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

So I found an old thread that says it's not a reissue but part of the pro tube series or something. Sorry.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well, I'm curious now... I want to hear about this amp. (Not that I can afford another amp right this second... but , ya never know! LOL)

It seems like it would be a good thing... on paper.

Anybody have recent experience with one?

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

The Fender Amp Field Guide says Pro Reverbs built between '80 and '82 had blackface cosmetics. The specs are the same, but there is no mention of a 1-12 version. The photo on the field guide matches the one on the eBay listing. But, again, the field guide says the cosmetics were the only difference.

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It is discontinued, but here is the Musician's Friend description:

All-tube 50-watt combo amp features tube reverb and tremolo.

12" Jensen C12N driver beautifully projects the crystalline tones of the Blackface-style normal channel, and the incendiary lead sounds of the drive channel. 1/4-power switch lets you get full tube warmth at lower volume. 4-button footswitch puts total command at your feet. Part of Fender's first generation of amps with tremolo and high-gain channel switching. Full-featured effects loop.

Features
    Fifty watts of pure tube power
    12" Jensen C12N driver
    Normal and drive channels, footswitchable
    1/4-power switch

I had a SF Pro Reverb at one point in the 1980s. I picked it up for a song. Of all the amps I have let get away that is the one that I most weep over. It was too small (!) for the un-mic'ed gigs I was playing then and my bandmate had a Twin. Today it would be perfect in any number of situations.

6. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

it is a pro tube series amp. I know they were offered in 2003 - the other models in the 2003 series are the Concert Reverb which is identical except it's a 4x10 combo package, and the Twin (AKA "the Evil Twin") 2x12. Both the PRo and Concert are 50 w switchable to 1/4 power, the Twin is 100w switchable to 25 and uses 4 6L6 tubes, but is otherwise the same as the Concert electronically. 2 channels - clean and drive, plus a lot of flexibility on controls too. They also had an earlier "pro tube" series in the early '90's that was pretty similar. I think it had the Concert Reverb that was 2x12, and also a Super Reverb (or simply "Super") that was 4x10. According to Ampwares the Twin ran from 93 through current, but I expect it got a workover in 2003 when the Concert/Pro came out.

I have a 2003 Concert Reverb that I bought as a chassis/project, and currently have it mounted temporarily in a 1x12 cab. I intend to build a head cab for it. I like it a lot, but if you read other's views it's not universally appreciated. They are all tube, except for a SS rectifier. Great Reverb and Effects loop. The only issue I have is it's a beast. The chassis is heavy and bullet proof, and the transformers are massive. The chassis is also a full inch deeper than any other Fender amp so it has a unique cab (12 5/8" deep, rather than 10 1/2" for a BFPR/SFPR).

I had a chance to hear a Pro Tube Pro Reverb side by side with a SFPR and I couldn't distinguish them apart (I wasn't playing them - the guy who was dialed them both in to his taste and they sounded great).

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

9. Axis29

I have a friend who's been talking about selling his Pro Series Concert... I can say it's an excellent sounding amp.

(Un)Fortunately, I am amp heavy and cash light...

10. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

What are the specs of the pro series concert? Is it a 1x12?

11. Axis29

Yes, Gary, I think it is. I can't remember what the wattage is, but it may even be a 60 watt amp... But, don't make me swear to it.

I may see my bud tomorrow night. I'll check with him for sure.

12. Axis29

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That Rivera era concert I posted was a 1x12

Came in multiple configs

14. Axis29

I'll bet that's what his is...

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Interesting......
    Thank you

16. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

as I mentioned in my post above, the early '90's vintage Pro Tube Concert is a 2x12. The 2003 vintage Pro Tube Concert is a 4x10. The Rivera era (early '80's) Concert is a 1x12. You see many more of the Rivera era units for sale than you do Pro Tube Concerts.

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I know this thread is cold, so consider this a bump.
    I have owned one of these "pro tube series" pro reverb amps for about two years now. I bought it fairly cheap from my LGS. They sold it new to the previous owner, and he came in and sold it, along with all his other gear, back to them when he needed money.
    I love the cleans on the full power setting, but I can't quite dial in the drive channel to suit my taste. On the 1/4 power setting, the clean channel gets kind of "rubbery" sounding and less distinct, but the drive channel comes alive.
    It's worth mentioning that the tremolo is very weak on the 1/4 power setting, even when dimed. Yes, I understand it's because the tube that drives the trem isn't running at full power.
    I play this amp in Church every Sunday, miked with a sennheiser model something-or-other. I play it on full power, can't do without that incredible clean, and get my dirt from pedals.
    I wasn't completely satisfied with the tone when I first got it, so I replaced the tubes in V1 and V2 with NOS GE JAN 5751's. This has lowered the overall volume a bit, and made the drive channel a bit less fizzy.
    I recently replaced the original power tubes and chose a matched pair from TAD. It restored the tone that has faded out over the last few years of regular use, but I can't say they were a great improvement over stock, when stock wasn't faulty.
    I once patched out to a friends 1/12 cab with an eminence swamp thang speaker in it. The stock Jensen was noticeably louder and more detailed.
    Overall, I am VERY satisfied with this amp.

18. blankley30

blankley30 NEW MEMBER!

Amp Cost???

I just saw one of these at GC in Atlanta and got me excited so I'm doing my research.

Yes, I am showing that these were built 2002-2003. Sounded great at GC with a start.

I saw one old listing on eBay that looks like it sold for $760.00 plus $80.00 for shipping. GC had it listed for $799.00 and was reduced to $699.00. Can anybody tell me what they paid for it new or used?

Thanks

19. mtcdiamondman

mtcdiamondman NEW MEMBER!

[Mod. edit: Classifieds only, please.]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  20. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

All the posts above yours are over two years old. They may or may not be around to answer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.