1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender pro junior for home

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by AJ Ray, Oct 7, 2020.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

The more I think about it the simplicity of the amp is quite a draw to me. I suppose I do spend some time sitting trying to dial in sounds etc but with less knobs to play with I might just actually learn to play the guitar more with such an amp. Rather than play with an amp. Use the sound I get and get on with it.

2. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

What do you mean, it doesn’t use a jack?

3. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

yes. think of it as a master volume at the beginning of the signal chain . ..

tery likes this.
  4. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Try a 12AY7 in V1 and an overdrive pedal. Lowering that initial gain will bring your volume down and let you "work" your pedals more. Mine's in a pine cab with a Ragin Cajun, but the best tone I ever got out of it was with that setup - 12ay7, Blues Driver, and a Les Paul.

Rocky058 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. Telefan33

Telefan33 Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Super Champ X2 and I have been able to get a pretty good sound at low volume with channel 2. Recently I have been getting a pretty good sound at high volumes with channel 1. I think the Super Champ X2 sounds a little like Princeton Reverb or Super Sonic when cranked. The Pro Junior sounds really great but I wouldnt get the amp to play at low volume.

6. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

He means that the speaker is connected by way of 1/4" jack, but there is one. It inserts into the bottom of the chassis and can easily be disconnected. It is close to where the power cord enters the chassis. Here's a pic.

IMG_20201011_114956917.jpg

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Honestly I don't know how anyone could recommend a non-master volume tube amp for apartment level use for a poster that wants tube breakup. It's like TDPRI malpractice. "Home volume" for some of you guys means however loud you can crank it in your barn! :)
    Yes, I can play my Super Reverb at apartment volumes if I really, really apply myself to finding the right notch on the volume control AND I turn my guitar way down, and don't use a boost /comp etc to bring the volume right back up. But that's a long way from a good OD tone, and really not what the equipment is good at.
    TV-volume playing with a bit of breakup is best with a modeling amp or a small amp with a master. Even a Blues Jr would be better than a Pro Jr for this use.
    The simplicity of the Pro Jr is great, but it obviously works against the OP's stated purpose here.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. You just have to find the right balance between your amp's volume, the drive and volume levels on your pedal.

I agree. I remember watching Howard Gee demoing a Catalinbread OD and he had his PRRI volume set at around 3 and was adjusting the pedals drive and volume.

I find every amps is different. On my PRRI I get good results with the volume around 4. If I crank the Drive, I roll back the pedal's volume or vice versa. Balance. I have no problems getting good OD tones at bedroom levels.

Roman4405 likes this.
  9. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

or, alternatively, one could set up one's guitar to buzz all over the fretboard & bang away really hard unplugged: voyLA: breakup at low volume.

10. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

A WGS Veteran 10 is a great speaker for a Pro Jr that keeps the output and headroom down.

hepular likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Yup!

It really comes down to the player, and IMO playing or practicing with a clean Fender amp ( and I do cite Fender as IMO there is something special with 'Fender clean') at quiet volume ( even if you really don't gig that way).

It's a great way to hear what you are playing, tighten things up. Nowhere to hide!

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

That’s what I thought. I haven’t purchased an attenuator yet, but I wanted one for my Pro.

13. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Honestly if we are talking apartment volume (really low volume that is), i think bigger amps with bigger enclosures work better. Stuff like a twin reverb, a super reverb, even a marshall with a 4x12 cab still sound fine in whisper volume. Or a plain Deluxe reverb. Smaller amps with smaller speakers and cabinets just need the volume to sound balanced. I 've had all the small Fenders, kept the princeton reverb and the pro junior, but the pro junior IS weak when in low volume. Love it when loud though.

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It may just depend on you OD as well.

Roman4405 likes this.
  15. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I am able to get, clean, crunch, distortion and leads, out of my Pro Jr IV Tweed and a Fender ported 1x12 cab, with a Cannabis Rex, at low volume, 70-80 db.

I boost the tubes with a Fairfield Barbershop V2, at the start of the chain, into overdrives and modulation. I keep a MXR 10 band EQ on the amp, and cut the bass and treble.

I retain string separation, touch sensitivity and have early amp breakup, with clean, crunch, distortion with leads and can play at low volumes while partner works from home.

These are qualities, the Fender should have built into the Pro Jr. The PJIV is an easy upgradable platform.

YMMV

16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

15 years ago I was in a band that played mostly bars and casuals , some outdoors . Both myself and the other guitarist played Pro Jr.s , and yes the sweet spot is at least 5 on the volume , pretty loud but outdoors we mic'd . We rehearsed in a small room and we both used 5 watt amps , my friend a Valve Jr. and I had a Bugera V5 . With a changed speaker and tubes the V5 worked very well , master volume and reverb was a nice touch . But I could never get what I would call a good sound out of the PJ at low volume .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.