1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender pro jr

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hendrixlvr, May 20, 2016.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Hey folks....just picked up one of these divine secret weapons! Wow! So simple, yet so dynamic.

I was just recently turned onto one as I've been searching for a good amp to pair with my Tokai love rock jr DC.....this little baby seems to have been made specifically for my guitar....redonks...

I found it in a little guitar shop, stuffed way back in a corner collecting dust. I a/b'd it directly with the pro jr III they had out front, but it sounded a little different, (warmer almost, and the volume had a nice smooth transition from quiet to loud comparatively) and it looked a little different as well.... control plate was silver instead of black like the III...i knew it had to be older as the silver grill cloth had started to yellow....i snatched it up within minutes of plugging my guitar into it....when I got it home I did some research....turns out it is an American made pro junior 1 from 1997!! Must be one of the original black ones right after they switched from the tolex ones....

Anyway, it's bone stock and sounds divine at any volume and especially when paired with my Analog Man tubescreamer. I think I got a pretty decent little amp on my hands

I'm sure there's lots of players on here that have them, I'm interested in your thoughts/stories.....

Attached Files:

ddhr, pondcaster and Big tuna like this.
  2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Got the same amp, old USA PJ. They are great amps.

pondcaster likes this.
  3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Bought one in 2000. Perfect right out of the box - it's my go-to.

pondcaster likes this.
  4. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I've had a love/hate relationship with mine. I bought mine used a few years back from a guy in a blues trio who was upsizing. It's one of the Mexican made ones. I have had nonstop problems with tube rattle. Changing tubes, even to very pricey ones, only seems to help for a short time. Doesn't matter whether the stock tube retainers are on or off. Also, in stock trim mine always seemed tonally bland until it was ridiculously loud (and this little thing can get that loud). Using overdrive pedals seemed only to make it feed back like crazy. The amp always just seemed unruly, if that makes any sense. I started scouring the internet for easy mods and fixes, not being very technical with soldering and such. Two things that did help immensely were clipping the negative feedback wire (actually, I put a switch in it), and replacing the 12AX7 phase inverter with a 12AT7. This tamed the amp down, and let me crank it up a bit without stuff falling off shelves. Still, though, I find the tone very boxy and extremely midrangey. Running through an external 1x12 cab, it sounds much better. I also had this weird issue with the volume and tone controls rotating themselves as I played (and sometimes even when I WASN'T playing). Solved that with some rubber grommets under the knobs. I guess I just find that mine always seems to fight with me as I try to get good sound out of it. It doesn't get used much, anymore. I'm hoping mine isn't representative of the model. Or, maybe it's just me. :)

pondcaster likes this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Nice find looks brand new! I had a mim jr but now my Bassbreaker has replaced it. Still a great amp though.

pondcaster likes this.
  6. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

@tlimbert65, sounds like you may have gotten a bad one, but I'm not sure. This is my first experience with the oh, and obviously I'm still in the honeymoon phase....time will tell, but right now I'm luvin it! I agree, it is quite 'midrangey', but I like that....it's that midrange honk that's gonna make it cut through the band....i used to subscribe to the thick bass, scooped mids guitar tone, (wanted to be an 80's big hair guitar god lol) but found as soon as the band fired up I could no longer hear my guitar unless my ear was right next to the amp....that's when I started learning about mids lol.....or maybe that's the difference between the American made and the Mexican....like I said, I'm a total newbie to the pro jr world :)

7. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

@Big tuna , those bass breakers are killer! I tried them out as well.... I was just jonesing for the simplicity of one volume, one tone, to match my lp jr

Big tuna likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a PJ, sold it when I bought a Blues Junior for band practice. I missed the sound of the PJ so much that I bought a used one (GC online used gear finder system - it all worked out very well). It's one of two amps that I've bought twice. Down low it's warm and clean and wonderful. Turn it up half way and the gain will bite your head off. Takes pedals well also.

Cute and vicious. Love this little fella........

[​IMG]

Older USA model.....paid $180 to a GC in Texas. Now it lives in Wisconsin.

9. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

They are cool amps. I wish I had bought one years ago when they were less than $200 in the tweed cabinet.

pondcaster and Hendrixlvr like this.
  10. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

A 1997 PCB amp? The horror!!! Haven't you heard PCB amps don't last? lol
    Just kidding, I have one and occasionally use it at jams and even at gigs once in a while, it sounds pretty decent to me.

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Have an early USA PJr, just my favorite amp.

Had a BJr blondie that I loved when one late Friday night 3 or 4 years ago, I was surfing eBay and saw it for $160 (I think?) and seller listed it as "...not sure if it works properly, the tone breaks when you turn it past 5 or 6?" Yeah, that's a PJr.

So next thing I know I got it & been in love ever since. So simple. So light. Such nice tone. I also pair with TS9 and it's perfect at all vols. Twin bro has the tweed version, different amp but still great.

Cannot say enough about these little growlers.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Hendrixlvr likes this.
  12. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

"Little growlers" is right. Crazy good drive tones

13. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

Was actually looking for a good used Peavey classic 30 or Blues Deluxe because of their drive sounds, but then I stumbled on this little beauty and couldn't pass it up

14. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I also have a '97. Hands down the best amp I've owned in 40-plus years of playing.

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Simple and dynamic~that nails it. Great little amp for jams:)
    I did a few mods mostly to cut noise. Also put it in a cabinet
    w/12" spkr~sounds bigger and fuller.

pondcaster likes this.
  16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A buddy of mine just picked up one of those used. He can't say enough good things about it. I also read somewhere Jeff Beck has been (or was a few years ago) touring with a pair of them modded with better speakers.

pondcaster likes this.
  17. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I bought one just after they came out, one of the USA tweed ones. Years later, I was playing in a band with a guy who had a big Marshall cabinet. Plugged it in and holy cow! Try it if you have the chance. Gigged it for a couple years and then sold it when offered way too much for it. I would not hesitate to pick up another one, great amps and nice for a grab-and-go or as a backup that does not take up a lot of space (unless you are using a Marshall cab!).

pondcaster likes this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Jeff Beck
    Jackson Browne
    Greg Koch

We're in good company.

19. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have a tweed one. Nice amp and really cooks. Sold it to a friend. I may buy it back one day. It's quite different than a Champ or Princeton, pretty midrangey and raw. Love it when it's cranked.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A buddy I jam with has one in a 1x12 cabinet.
    It's rare I hear an amp of any vintage or description that I feel goes toe-to-toe with my '56 Deluxe.
    That thing delivers the goods!

pondcaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.