Fender Pro Jr IV vs Marshall Origin 20h

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Daytona.57, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I have a Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and I'm using it as a head with a Fender ported 1x12 cab loaded with a Cannabis Rex.

The Marshall Origin 20h, has caught my ear and I am wondering how it would compare with the PJIV, using my existing cab with the Cannabis Rex. There are no threads or videos available.

I am using a Barbershop V2, to boost a Barber Direct Drive V1 and MXR 10 band EQ for mids with the PJIV, for Marshall sounds.

Any information, would be appreciated.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Pro Jr is a take on an old Tweed amp - a bit Champ but also a bit Tweed. The Origins got very good power scaling. Go for it if you like Marshall Plexi tones.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't think the Origin does Plexi tones like people think. It certainly isn't a hot rodded Plexi. It's a JTM45 flavor. The Tilt control can get you brighter, more cutting. But, it doesn't really up the gain so much. The built-in Boost is nice and adds some girth, but again... It's not the hot rodded Plexi a lotta folks seem to think it should be.

If you want Van Halen kinda gain, gotta still use a pedal. This is not a complaint, by the way, I love my Origin 20C. If you want late 60's British sound, the Origin does it quite well!

The Origins take pedals extremely well. I love hitting mine with a LovePedal Super Sic Tone fuzz, turns it into instant early Page or Beck tone. Hit it with something like a Catlinbread DLS iii, and it totally becomes that hot rodded Plexi we all want.

The Origin is also way more flexible than a Pro Jr, it's got the FX loop, the D/I Out and a 3 band EQ w/ Presence and the Tilt knob. You can do everything from quiet practice or silent recording, to plugging into the PA and doing an arena. My only real complaint with the Origin is how poorly Marshall marketed them. LOL

Ps37, StevesBoogie, 2L man and 2 others like this.
  4. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

THIS

I don't have one because I already have an Origin50

I may get a Pro JR, yes. I like the sound and the small footprint and wheight. Perfect for grab and go.

BUT If I had to choose between a Pro and the Origin20h ( and didn't had an Origin50) I would choose the Marshall any day of the week

5. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

The Pro Jr. comes in a tweed cabinet but I think the similarity ends there.

jsnwhite619 and Daytona.57 like this.
  6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

The origin 20 is more useful than the pro jr. Catch is that I have no idea if the C Rex is the most optimal speaker to pair with it, but that's a matter of experimentation.
    I'm a fender amp guy, but the pro jr doesn't do it for me. It just looks cool. The origin series is more JTM than plexi, but its still Marshall in there. Crunchy, mids forward compared to bf/sf fender sounds, and the tilt knob is pretty cool for tone shaping. The eq doesn't behave like a plexi (which from what I've seen respond well to "dime this/zero that" settings) so you'll actually dial it in more normal.
    If we compare the gig-grade amps that are currently available (HRdlx, DSL40, Classic 30, etc) the Origin series is priced there, but is more classic Marshall than the dsl40, and I'd considered the 20 and 50 for a few before getting my Frenzel built to scratch the plexi itch.
    I cant speak to lowest power scaling option, because I'm never really thrilled with the lowest of any 3 setting amp from the $150 bugera to the $1000 SC Marshall when compared to the middle and full power.
    I'd certainly recommend the Origin 20 here. I wouldn't put it in the same space as the pro jr, because it can do a little more and has a little more oomph. I typically feel anything over 20w is enough for medium sized bar gigs, but you can most likely gig with the 20h more realistically than the pro jr, and get more good sounds from it.

Daytona.57 likes this.
  7. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

This is the video, that caught my attention:

Today, using the video, and tweaking my Barbershop V2 and turning up the treble and gain on the Barber Direct Drive V1, I found that I could get in the ball park of the video. Close enough for a band mix.

My partner commented on the tone. This was not the first time, the PJIV, surprised me, with it's versatility.

Here is a video of my bandmate playing, Hot for Teacher, with his EVH Wolfgang Special, through the PJIV and Fender ported 1x12 cab and Cannabis Rex, brown sound.

Thanks, to all who commented.

TIM5150 likes this.
  8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I've been considering a Pro Jr. for awhile. What are your thoughts on them?

9. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I picked one up because I was researching slide and read that Derek Trucks, used the PJIV for recording.

It morphed from slide, to all around, and I can use the same pedalboard and settings, for my Fender PA 100 head and Avatar 2x12 cab.

To get Marshall tone and brown sound, I have to change the pedal settings. I use a Barber Gain Changer, settings at one o'clock to boost a Swollen Pickle and Diamond Counterpoint delay, Extra Faux Tape setting with a long delay.

The Cannabis Rex in a 1x12 cab is the key. The stock Jensen P10R is 94 db and the CREX is a sensitive 102 db, 8 db more and makes the PJIV, equivalent to approx 50W+.

I have no problems playing in a band at level 4~5, edge of breakup. If I don't boost the amp with the Barbershop V2, there is a lot of clean headroom. The Cannabis Rex has a clear neutral tone. I dial out the treble and bass for mids with a MXR 10 band EQ, on the amp because the PJIV, only has one tone control and is quite limited.

The PJIV is a simple tube amp with a nice clean sound, that makes it a very good pedal platform.

richey88, bsman and Blackmore Fan like this.
  10. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've built lots of Tweed amp clones, and I love them. But, one day a friend came over and we had a two 5E3's, a Tweed Super, a Tweed Champ - all clones - and played for a couple hours, swapping guitars and trying different amp combo's. At the end, just for fun, I grabbed my 2005 Pro Jr that I built a pine cab for several years ago and put in a Ragin Cajun. We plugged in and cranked it up, and we both looked at each other in silence before one of us admitted it sounded as good or better than anything we'd played all day for an overdrive tone. I've done a few 5E3 sized Pro Jr cabinets with a Cannabis Rex for people and they have all said it was their favorite amp.

So, unless you specifically want that Marshall sound over Fender - and I'm a 100% Fender amp tone player - you already have a really great, simple setup.

I didn't know that, but Warren Haynes has used a Pro Jr in the studio for probably 20 years now from what I've read about his setup. So, that doesn't surprise me about Trucks.

Here's a clip I did a few years ago with the bigger cabinet and C-Rex with a 12ay7 preamp tube for better cleans. Sounds way out of it's price range. I think I had the volume on 8 the whole time.

TIM5150, Blackmore Fan and Daytona.57 like this.
  11. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I liked mine but a lot, volume and tone knob, pretty easy. I felt it could be more and put it in a larger cab with a C Rex 12” spkr. It’s all that now. Loud and decent headroom for what it is. It was a good amp prior to the mods but I have a problem leaving well enough alone.

Blackmore Fan and Daytona.57 like this.
  12. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

When I was researching the PJIV, before I traded for one, there were very limited info, on using the amp with the Cannabis Rex. I researched BillM mods recommend it for the PJIV and Stewart Ward's write up on the technical specs:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/cannabis-rex-review.112662/page-2

Your well done video, PJIV with the Cannabis Rex, was the deciding factor and I made the trade with the CREX on order. I installed the speaker in an old Fender HM ported 1x12 cab, that I used with an Epi Valve Jr, now long gone.

I did install a small Walmart computer fan on the tube cage with cable ties. I have it set to exhaust the chassis heat in a convection loop. The fan lowers the chassis temp from a measured 100F to 70F.

Using the PJIV as a head, eliminates speaker vibrations and heat, extending the life of the tubes and PCB.

If Fender made the PJIV, in a head and cab, it would seriously cut into the Hot Rod line sales.

jsnwhite619 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Daytona.57, could you post a few pix of your fan rig? Thanks!

Daytona.57 likes this.
  14. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Walmart computer fan, that I use on all my tube amps. It is very quiet, and can't be heard.

I have it cable tied but for transportation another fastening method could be used, perhaps plastic chain and S hooks.

Edit: the fan could be set on the floor. With my Fender PA 100 head and 2x12 cab, I set the fan behind the head, on top of the cab, exhausting the heat in convection loop.

20190629_155407.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Exactly! When people think of the plexi sound they think of a modded or hotrodded plexi sound, which is actually closer to a JCM. The Origin may not be exactly a plexi, but it does the unmodded JTM thing really well. But put a good boost in front and it can still scream with the best of them. Great modern take on a classic amp, IMHO.

Daytona.57, Ps37 and Axis29 like this.
  16. RoscoeElegante

Thanks, Daytona! What's the fans' power source? Any rattling issues?

17. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

The fan cage is metal with aluminium fan blades and comes with an AC adapter and USB, like a cellphone charger. The stand feet are plastic/rubber isolated, and don't vibrate, you can see them in the photo.

It is very quiet, you can't hear it running and it has no EMI with any of my amps. I have one on my bedroom window sill, to blow in cool air while sleeping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...ivot-USB-Personal-Desktop-Fan-Black/172867863

Edit: add link.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    RoscoeElegante likes this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

Thanks! I'll be getting these, as several of my amps run very hot. Including my new Pro Junior IV, which is a great little beast, indeed.

Daytona.57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.