Fender Princeton RI issue, need input.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jaysmay, May 7, 2021.

1. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Amp gurus....

I have a issue with what I’d call a feedback hiss or noise coming out of my fairly new Princeton Amp, about 3 months old.

Is a low oscillating background noise kind of high pitched. It has shown up recently and comes on after the the amp warms up. At first I thought it was coming from another room, running water at a sink or something.

I've turned the volume off and to max, the noise stays that same level. I've done the same with all the other controls and had the same result with the noise staying at the same level. It's not a hum, I've put my guitar next to the amp and do get a slight hum.

I've played my custom champ and no similar issue.

I'm not a electrical engineer, any one had a similar issue? I live in a large metro area, close to a flight path at Dulles Airport.

Any thoughts?

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

PRRI, tight? What happens if you switch off trem and reverb with the footswitch? (Knobs on zero aren’t the same thing.) If that changes it, let us know. Hiss and/or oscillation are common in those sectors.

If that doesn’t change it, since tube guys should have a spare tube or three, what happens if you swap in a new V1 tube, 12AX7 — the tube nearest the input jacks?

And of course the obvious question, is it still in warranty? Can you get it checked where you bought it, or at a Fender shop?

3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

which reissue, the 65' or the 68' custom?

4. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

It is under Warranty.

My wife just told me she heard a funny noise coming from office... I not imagining it!

I connected the footswitch. I can hear the reverb go off and on, but the noise is still there. It's a low level high pitched sound.

Thanks for your reply.

5. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

65 Princeton RI, bought direct from Fender 3 months ago.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Does it with nothing plugged in?
    Does it with reverb turned all the way down.
    It's a consistent hissing no matter the volume right? With volume at 0? Sounds like building noise maybe.
    Flourescent lights?
    Can you try the amp somewhere else?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Just checking..you don't have your cell phone near the amp.
    That gives me weird noises.
    If no, replace each tube one at a time and see if it is one of those bad boys.
    my take

8. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Probably the output tubes dying. Open a warranty claim with fender. They will steer you to a shop or tech that will fix it. If you bought it new you have paid for the warranty. Use it.

LudwigvonBirk and teleman1 like this.
  9. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Update....

First l, thanks for input.

I reached out to Fender. It's under warranty. Even the tubes. I'm taking it to a Fender-approved amp tech tomorrow.

I spoke with him on the phone, he had me do a couple of things and he most likely ruled out tubes.

I'll update as I find out more.

E5RSY likes this.
  10. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Update... 3-month-old Princeton 10 inch 65 RI.

I just got a call from my Amp Tech. The high-pitched squealing was coming from the two front input jacks. He said they are not very high quality and is putting new better jacks in. He found a couple of other issues that he is fixing.

Once I pick it up I'll update the post with all of the details.

All covered by Warranty.

11. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Update....65 RI Princeton fixed under warranty.

The went through amp and put new input jacks, made sure all the grounding was correct. He took the the reverb tank apart, reassembled so it would not be a issue. He found some soldering joints that were suspect and cleaned them up.

The amp is dead quiet with no instrument plugged in. With all knobs maxed up to 9 on the volume , above 9 there is a slight hum, but not bad.

When I play at volume 4, where I am most of the time it's perfect. Treble 8, bass 3, reverb 3-4, intensity 1. Guitar, Strat- I sold a Tele and have a new thin skin-tele on order- at 6-7, tones at 10.

If I crank up volume 5-6 and above with settings as above I get a lot of hum. If I turn the strat volume down I can get the hum out. I've read I believe this is normal for a Princeton.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Pick_n_Strum likes this.
  12. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Meister

quote:
    " If I turn the strat volume down I can get the hum out. "

Sounds like that doesn't have anything to do with the amp, rather from the single coil pickups in the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.