Fender Princeton Reverb Recording Convert to 'Blackface'

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jason_Jackson, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Jason_Jackson

Jason_Jackson TDPRI Member

I've toyed around with the Fender Princeton Recording I picked up and tried bypassing the attenuator (as detailed in this thread: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/princeton-recording-amp-attenuator-encoder.823833/). I've recently decided I may want to gut the entire amp and make it more to 'vintage' specs; something along the lines of a Blackface AA1164 style amp with reverb and tremolo. I'd like to make everything point to point wiring instead of the PCB as well.

I was curious if anyone has done this (or something similar) and if there were any associated lessons-learned from this exercise? I'd appreciate any input.

I've done some rough power supply calculations and the first major hurdle appears to be that the power transformer of the Recording outputs 315v-0-315v instead of the 340v-0-340v transformer of the Blackface. I don't want to purchase a new transformer, so I've created a SS rectified design with a 1K filter resistor between nodes A and B which pretty much copies the Blackface circuit. This design would output about 20v lower than the Blackface amp on nodes A and B, which would reduce the headroom of the output stage. Does anybody with more experience with Princetons believe this is a large impact to the overall design/feel of the amp or is this not such a big deal? My current design utilizes that 1K filter resistor, but I've been looking into a choke, or potentially completing the Stokes mod in order to maintain as much voltage/clean headroom if this is a large impact to the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.