1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Princeton Reverb Half Power Mod

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mistermullens, Mar 3, 2021.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Greetings all! I rarely post any more, but visit occasionally. I've been playing more, and getting on the internet less. Playing more really opens your eyes, and ears, to what works best for you. I've found that a minimalist approach to gear, and life, really works for me. In that spirit, I'm looking to add a Princeton Reverb back to my stage rig, and remove an existing amp. To add some versatility, I was thinking a half power mod might be a good option for me. I know, some of you might say get a PR and a Vibro Champ. While, I'd love to have both, I'd rather have fewer amps. If this all works out, I'd like to have two PR, both with a half power option, and sell my DRRI, BJr, and C600, leaving me with two amps for practice and live performances.

So here are my questions...
    • Who here has done a half power mod on a PR? Can be vintage or reissue, although I'll most likely go reissue.
    • Do you recommend anyone in the Atlanta area to perform the mod? (I've reached out to Andrews Amp Lab, but haven't received a response.
    Hope you all are well.

wblynch likes this.
  2. mistermullens

Been thinking about this. Would a master volume be more realistic?

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Half power is not all that noticeable. A master volume would give you some more flexibility. Or an attenuator as an option.

Tim S likes this.
  4. mistermullens

Thanks! The more I thought about it, the more a Master Volume made since. I could even do that on my Deluxe Reverb.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

A master volume cuts drive to the outputs, so you take the output tube mojo out of your sound. Maybe that's OK. If you want 1/2 volume, that would be a 1/10th power attenuator, and keeps the flavor of the output section.

theprofessor likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The master volume on the 80s Superchamp works well - it's a Princeton Reverb preamp minus trem into a Deluxe Reverb power section, so it should be easy-ish.

Unless you fit a dual-secondary power transformer the only real way is triode mode which alters tone a bit. Plus on beam forming grids on 6V6s, don't know how it'd work.

You could look at the power attenuation in Vox AC4s and other amps using big, switchable cement block resistors.

7. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I bought a 5E3 Tweed clone from Carl's Custom Amps about 3 or 4 years ago and had a London Power Scaling and SAG Control mod built into it. I can go from full power down to 1/2 watt or anything in between playing with the power & limiter controls. I love that I can plug in at 2am and overdrive the hell out of the thing & wake up no one. He also does a bypass Master Volume mod. Personally I think the London mod is more useful.
    He did BF Princeton Reverb's in the past...not sure if he still does. Others do this mod too & for me it's been the most useful thing I've ever had on an amp.

8. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Well this is a change from the normal, how to make a PR into a TR type thread.
    If you don't go hog wild with speaker sensitivity to start with that helps.
    As far as half power one way is to put in a switch to alter the operation of the power tubes, instead of trying to cut one out completely.
    But even if you achieve "half power" that doesn't mean "half volume".
    An attenuator does seem like the simplest way to go through. Or just use a drive pedal of some sort when you can't turn the amp up, that's even cheaper and easier. I'm not a pedal guy but that's the way I'd go.

10. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Do you want pre-amp distortion? Then add a master volume.

Do you want power tube distortion? Then add an attentuator.

Don’t want any distortion at all? Then do whatever is easier (or add an effects loop and stick a volume pedal/box in it)

BobbyZ likes this.
  11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

what's the actual goal here?

a PRRI wound up to 10 is loud.... but it ain't THAT loud.

PRRI cleans are pretty dang reasonable sound levels.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.