Fender Princeton Amps - Reissue or Vintage

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bled05, Jan 13, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I sold mine last year for just a little bit more than the £50 I paid for it back in 1983. ;)

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Were we showing off our PR builds? No? Maybe? Still... :D

PR build - 1 (19).jpeg

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

I sent my PRRI (12" FSR version) to Vintage Sound Amps, had it gutted, hand-wired blackface, and OMG it sounds off the charts better than before .... best $650 I have spent in ages.

IMG_9817.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

Deleted

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I brought my 78 PR at 30th St Guitars in NYC 2007 and carried it home to Oz. When I got it, it was $850 knocked down $50 because it worked but had redplating JJ 6V6s. Came with spare Rubys. Worked but then made horrible noises after a few minutes. Bad bias cap I think.

I recapped and fitted Hoffman's bias schema with 10k mini pot. Also a Tube Depot pt for 240volt primaries which had higher va. I think I went with the JJ 6V6s and Fender branded SF era preamp tubes.

450v on the plates I think I ended up on about 16w but that included the grids so probably a real 14-15 watts. In a band context it lived nicely with a DRRI. Very different amps - not really alike.

I got my speaker guy to recone a CTS 10" with genuine parts - for $US50. All up it cost me less than a grand. It sounded fantastic. Beautiful reverb, stunning trem - I left in the 5U4 as it had a lovely greasiness to the breakup.

Good caps, good speaker and bias. I didn't spend much time checking component values, but it had blue Astron caps mostly. Once electros were done it was just a lovely sweet/dirty amp. It cut really well without crushing volume.

If I knew then what I do today about cathodyne grid blockers and setting mids on drive pedals I'd still own it - it was splatty with dirt. Part of the reason I love my Superchamp is because the clean channel sounds like it - with more balls.

6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

in 1979, I went to a garage sale in Arlington TX. There I found a Blackface PR, priced at $15. The power cable had no plug on it, so I stripped off some insulation and "plugged" it in a wall socket. It lit up, so I bought it. Turns out, the reverb didn't work (connections were corroded) and it had a JBL D110F in it. That was the beginning of a lifelong love affair with that speaker. The amp was my main gigging amp (usually did a solo act) for about six years, later sold it for $450. Several years ago I bought a PRRI (65) from my lead player. I went through several mods and speakers to try and get the clean headroom I needed for gigging, and never could get it. I couldn't afford the BFPR now if my life depended on it, but between the two- vintage all the way!

7. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Today at Starving Musician in Berkeley, CA, there's a beat looking '77 Princeton Reverb sitting on the floor with it's grill frame kinda twisted at one corner, and just arm's length away is a Super Champ that looked almost new at first glance. The cabs are so small (and this particular shop so crowded with stuff), that the PR looked worn out and forgotten. Until you see the hang tag and the asking price and get the message like "we don't need to even try to make these things look good."

I probably don't need to tell you which was priced higher. Anyway, good luck

For the curious or data-point seeking
    PR (1977) $1100
    Super Champ (Rivera-era, so 1983 plus-minus 2?) $825

no affiliation

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Best not to think about that part too much and enjoy the way an old experienced amp really blows the room away.

9. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There's a '79 PR on the local CL right now for $850. Someone should grab it.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

There was some tempting ones like that on the Minneapolis CL this weekend. I was down there so I had to look some good deals. Nothing cheap enough for doing a fix and flip. But some pretty decent deals for someone in the market for an amp.

Gris and jonnyfez like this.
  11. Gris

Gris TDPRI Member

Paid $500 for ‘78 few months ago. Modded it myself to BF spec & cosmetic. Oldies MUCH easier to work on/fix....

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.