1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Princeton 65 special edition

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Doublemint, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Doublemint

Doublemint TDPRI Member

I just bought a new (Fawn) Fender 65 Princeton Reverb reissue, but get this. Brown faceplate with white radio knobs, yellow jewel light and a Celestion 12M herritage 20 watt greenback. The tolex is beige with a woven grill cloth. This thing looks and sounds amazing!
    My fender dealer had 4 different versions of this amp three with 12" speakers and a 10. A tweed 65 with a 12" cannabis rex, a blue 65 with a 12" Celestion alinco blue and a regular Princeton 65 with a 10". The brownface I bought really out shines them all. The amp sounded like it was voiced different then the others, not just a speaker difference.
    I have trying to find something on this Fawn model but all I see are blackface 65s that have Chinese 25 watt greenbacks.
    The manager told me that not all stores got this version, just 5 were sent out across Canada and they were all sold.
    If anyone out there has one or sees one for sale please let me know.
    Cheers

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I love that fawn rolex. I've really been tempted to buy a DR just because of that.

3. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love my western tolex 65 PRRI with a 12" Jenson C12Q i bought earlier this year!It came with a yellow jewel too. 65PRRI1.jpg 65PRRI2.jpg

4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I'll bet it looks and sounds great; love me some white knobs. How do you like the low wattage 12" in there? I just put a Emi Lil' Texas in my non-reverb and like it a lot, but it's super efficient.

I like the Western tolex in the pic above, too, but what is up with Fender these days and those stupid bolt-on tube detention centers? My Super Champ X2 has one and I despise it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Coloradotwanger likes this.
  5. Coloradotwanger

Detention Centers!I gotta remember that one!

6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It really is just the speaker. Open it up and it's just a PRRI in there. PR's really respond to different speakers. I've got the tweed covered version but instead of a C-Rex mine has a Weber 12F150. It sounds totally different. And my buddy has a PR clone that has a 12" Alesandro in it and his sounds totally different than mine.

There's another video I saw where they took a hand wired 64PR and compared it to a 65 PRRI. The 64 sounded way better. That is until they decided to use a jumper to plug the 65 into the 64's speaker. Suddenly it sounded really darn close.

Congrats on a great amp!

7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I got the GC special. 12 in. celestion G12-65. Sounds soo goood!

8. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

How's that Jensen behaving in a Princeton? I had the same speaker in my 1x12 cab and it sounded bassy as f...

9. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

10. Coloradotwanger

It is still not broken in yet.I have not really been able to open it up yet where i a currently living.But i am really enjoying the sound at very low volumes.So time will tell.

11. Coloradotwanger

They did it on the Supersonic-22 also.

Willie Johnson and trancedental like this.
  12. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Love the special edition Princetons! I have been using a Bordeaux with the 12" Jensen for a couple years, now. Enjoy it so much I got myself the Tweed/Cannabis Rex as an early Christmas present. No such thing as a bad sounding Princeton!
    Enjoy!

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

^^Yes^^, that bordeaux and wheat combination makes a nice looking amp, I have it in a DRRI. I went for the SW tweed '65 PRRI SE and have since swapped speakers a couple of times, ending with a Celestion cream alnico which makes it a fabulous amp, great cleans and creamy break up tones. The Deluxe is getting less play time now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.