Fender Price Hike ... Again

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Take note- it isn’t just Fender. The bass I bought isn’t a Fender. Everything is going to jump for the new year. Especially with NAMM about to hit. If you want something, buy what’s left from 2021. Right now.

Personally, I like it when it affects things I already own. The LP I bought for $1899 in 2020 is now selling for $2300 new. And it’s about to go up again. The PRS I bought for $2400 is now $2450, and I’ll bet by the end of this year it’ll be $2600. The acoustic I bought in 2020 for $1600 on sale now sells new for $2500 and hasn’t increased for 2022 yet.

This is all good news for my resale values. Should I ever want to move any of these. I’m not planning to. But it makes me feel good nonetheless.

I thought NAMM was canceled.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, the inflation right now is crazy. The Player Teles are $849 now and I bought mine a year ago new for $699.

I was looking seriously at the Player Tele with coil-tapping humbuckers. Just yesterday I noticed it jumped up $50 to $879.99. I saw on Reverb that a local store has one I could try out, but now I'm back to just thinking about it.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
If there's a guitar I really want a couple hundred bucks won't effect my desire or purchase. If these price increases put you off buying something I figure you probably didn't want it enough to justify purchasing it in the first place. You should thank Fender or whichever brand for keeping you from making an instrument purchase mistake.

Thank You Fender for thinking of all your fans here at TDPRI. Geeez. No wonder we're such loyal Fender owners. Each day both Fender management and employees wake up with our welfare at the top of their to-do list, spend the day hoping whatever they're doing will please us to no end and then go to sleep that night dreaming about our smiling faces. Freakin' Angels. Every dang one of them !

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
In 4 pages has anyone posted the obligatory “I don’t get folks who buy new instruments” boilerplate ?

well I just did and I don’t.

Happy Used Year !

captain_jack

Tele-Meister
In 4 pages has anyone posted the obligatory “I don’t get folks who buy new instruments” boilerplate ?

Happy Used Year !

I'll second the motion

Here's one reason:
https://www.tdpri.com/threads/taylor.1090457/

Bad fakes are easy to spot. But fakes that take slightly more care in matching the visual appearance might be a lot harder for a newer player to spot, if they sound half way decent. (I certainly wouldn't trust myself to evaluate an expensive used instrument at this point in my guitar journey).

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's

Happy Used Year !

I think that @Vibroluxer beat you to it on page 3.
As for myself, I bought a new CSL Les Paul Standard in 1976 (50% reduction in the sale), and a Yamaha LL11e in 2000(40% sale reduction), otherwise all the rest have been used, including the mint 2012 Baja bought for £330 in 2018.

Rightly or wrongly the world economy is based upon rising consumption. If we stop consuming the world as we know it falls apart. The current pandemic has enormously increased costs for just about all companies. Some collapsed, whilst many took a hit for a while, but as soon as they could the likes of Fender increased prices. How many TDPRI threads have we seen lamenting the rise in house, new and used vehicle prices? it is just the way it is.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire

Happy Used Year !
I have bought/sold a ton of used gear including guitars. But the five which I have now are were all purchased new. For me at this point I wanted certain specific guitars, didn’t want to wait for used, and have the means to just get what I want today.
Also affecting the new/used situation was moving four years ago from San Francisco Bay area, 7 million people to Colorado Springs, 2-1/2 million if you go past Denver. The availability of quality used is almost non existent here.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Anyone who feels the need to buy will just have to pay the price. New players can buy used or pay the price. I've got plenty of guitars and amps. If I want another guitar I'll build one. I won't buy another amp unless it's a smoking deal. Factories chunk these things out by the thousands there's no reason to spend $$$$$$ when you can spend $$. You're only a better player if you practice.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
You are right but... the price will go up whether I buy one or not because everyone else will anyway. Then, if I want one, I'm going to have to play the inflated price.

You would have to make the entire country understand and accept that slowing down their purchasing will slow down inflation. That just isn't going to happen, especially in the US. It's hooray for me, the hell with everybody else.
like we are going to go out and buy Gibson's just to show Fender they can't push us around that way. Right. Right???

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
This is kinda related/unrelated, but I'm starting to see some reductions in price increases that were blamed on the supply chain problems. I'm dirt poor and I shop at Walmart, because it's the cheapest, and also because I'm in poor health, don't have a car, and the big Walmart here is only a block away, so I can charge my Inogen portable oxygen generator, and ride my bike over there once a week to shop, which I do every Monday. Well, today I noticed that one of the cheap frozen dinner brands I buy, that had gone up to $3.80 from $2.80 about a month ago, are now back down to $3.20. And, the Yoplait yogurt that i buy has gone down from $.92 to $.77 each. With my 5.9% income increase from the SS COLA, if prices continue to decrease, I might be able to afford a Squier Bullet or Affinity if I scrimp and save for a year.
Walmart price changes are not a reliable portrait of overall trends; the corporate buyers strong-arm suppliers into the lowest price they can get and price it as competitively as possible in a given area (sometimes taking a loss in some categories depending on competition in that city) and things driving it up or down (or temporarily on Rollback) are numerous too(drivers are hard to get, they were offering an $8k sign on bonus at the DCs, buyers renegotiate what they're willing to pay to get something grunted on a schedule, and unlike other big grocers, different Walmarts get WM brand milk from different suppliers, and only a few of them are the actual Walmart owned ones).

If you watch the prices they charge for less fluctuating things, such as motor oil(which has been increasing) it lines up more with the "big picture " and less with the strategy they use on food.

But the 52cent burritos I used to buy there went up to 82cents last October, so I'm always thankful when things do down. Especially when meat got Slightly cheaper in late summer of 2020 after going so high that year that I'd started Googling about moonlighting as a cattle rustler...

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
I just don't get it. Comforts Baby Wipes have been 1.00 for a pack of 40 at Kroger for the last 15 years or longer.

Another thing.... do short people get excited when they bump their head on something ?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
It's called inflation. It's why gas is $4.00/gal and hamburger is now $6.95/lb. Blaming Fender for increasing prices is like blaming your car for the potholes in the city streets.
i DON'T BLAME ANYBODY FOR INFLATION, NOT fENDER NOT ANY BODY. Complaining about inflationary trend (sarcasm well if you don't like Fenders price try buying a Gibson.)
If I really had the skills and talent for a Custom shop Fender bla bla bla , I could still get out the door way cheaper than Gibson. Gibson has a right to charge any price that they want.
If I can't afford to get in the game at all I can take up the electric kazoo

Attachments

• 411WYfqCxTL._AC_.jpg
    411WYfqCxTL._AC_.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 9

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Most people my age remember nickel coke (Coca-Cola). But where I lived it was 6 cents. We had a coke machine at the elementary school I attended and had to put in a nickel and a penny to get a drink.

When I was in the 4th grade, the price was raised to 7 cents. There was much outrage among the student body.

Just remembered: It was actually a Dr. Pepper machine. Here in the south, all soft drinks are "cokes."