Fender Precision? BASS GAS alert

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Might be worth a few minutes to listen to this?

That was great, actually. Thanks!

I'm trying to find the video that convinced me. It doesn't say that the P-Bass is more versatile than the Jazz or anything.

When I hear the jazz bass in this context, I think "I can hear the bass".
When I hear the P-bass, I think, "I am ready to go commit public acts of rampant indiscretion and possibly sully the public's opinion of who I am as a person".

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Be careful. Be very, very careful. Because if your experience is anything like mine, your trip down this rabbit hole will provide you with sources of GAS that you never knew existed.

I started with an Ibanez Roadstar and an older Acoustic 136 amp (combo, 100 watts, 15” speaker) with my MIDIband in NY. Sold them both when I moved to South Florida. Got back into it during and after my divorce. Now have 11 basses (P’s, J’s, P/J’s, HB, fretless, Höfner) and 4 bass rigs of varying sizes and weight.

“It’s like heroin, I tells ya. Heroin!!!”

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I love a good P Bass. I have several including a couple 1973 maple neck fretless. Here’s my 2021 Mod Shop Fender P. Any excuse to post a pic of this bad boy!
upload_2021-11-22_11-47-28.jpeg

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
OK, I know everyone wants an update here. Monday just seems so long ago now!

I'll leave out some of the details, but it's not going to seem that way.

I found a couple Fenders with P/J pickups and jazz necks online. But I thought I'd go back to GC to check out the Precisions anyway. I didn't get any of the expensive ones down, but I tried a couple Squiers < $500 and a couple Fenders < $1K. You know, they are nice, but, the neck... yeah now that I think of it I am not too fond of the neck. I mean assuming there are alternatives!

I had checked and the GC web site said they had stock of the Aerodyne Jazz Bass in South San Jose. Ooh la wee these look sweet (in a none-more-black kind of way, anyway)

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electric-basses/jazz-bass/aerodyne-jazz-bass/0254505506.html

They didn't have any on the wall, but I asked, and they took one new out of the box and let me play it. I thought it was pretty nice. I am not at all used to playing roundwounds any more so that seems weird. I did read one review that mentioned that the pickup edges are sharp. And... they are! Wow. I play fingerstyle most of the time but when using a pick, the heel of my hand was digging right into this edge. Might be manageable with space age foam gasketry. Knobs have a good feel. The neck is a dream! Was really fun to play, no clanks up and down the neck. I tried the pickups alone, together, tone up, down, halfway, all good stuff. The Jazz Bass bridge sound is what I'm used to (I guess).

GC's price is the same as Fender's and everyone else's so there's not a lot of wiggle room on price. The sales person said, yaddda yadda 90 days yadda price yadda guarantee etc. but that may or may not mean anything. I did not buy the bass but I sure want one now!

So after that, I took my old 1985 Guild dreadnought acoustic to Gryphon in Palo Alto to put up on consignment. It needs a little work but they think I'll clear $1200, which is somewhat more than I expected. They are total experts there so it's really tough to BS them about anything. I try anyway. It was strange to bid that guitar goodbye... I'd had it for a really long time but it had been in storage for two years, and so... better it gets played IMO. My Taylor which is arguably not as nice or valuable, is actually fine.

Last edited:

Blackout Jazz

Tele-Meister
https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/jaco-geddy-and-flea-cant-be-wrong-the-story-of-the-jazz-bass

"By the end of the 1950s though it was time to expand the Fender bass category and Leo Fender and his staff turned their attention to a new “deluxe” bass guitar design in 1959. And just as the Stratocaster expanded on the Telecaster rather than supplanting it, this new bass would complement the Precision by offering great tonal versatility and a design that went beyond the utilitarian to the realm of the sleekly stylish. If the Precision was a Chevy, the new deluxe model would be a Ferrari."

:D

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/jaco-geddy-and-flea-cant-be-wrong-the-story-of-the-jazz-bass

"By the end of the 1950s though it was time to expand the Fender bass category and Leo Fender and his staff turned their attention to a new “deluxe” bass guitar design in 1959. And just as the Stratocaster expanded on the Telecaster rather than supplanting it, this new bass would complement the Precision by offering great tonal versatility and a design that went beyond the utilitarian to the realm of the sleekly stylish. If the Precision was a Chevy, the new deluxe model would be a Ferrari."

:D
Yet one thing a Jazz Bass doesn't do well is to sound like a Precision.

Blackout Jazz

Tele-Meister

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I pulled the trigger on a used Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass via Guitar Center which is MIJ, lightweight and somewhat neck divey by reputation, looks sleeker than er... something, P/J pickups, 7.5" radius neck, it's almost like a standup. I played one at GC a week or two back and liked it. I like the P neck tone for that "thing" it does. These photos are not the one I bought... it hasn't arrived yet. I will have to start playing with a pick again to get more of that rawk vibe.

Bridge and tuners aren't all that impressive visually, but apparently work.

iu

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
I pulled the trigger on a used Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass via Guitar Center which is MIJ, lightweight and somewhat neck divey by reputation, looks sleeker than er... something, P/J pickups, 7.5" radius neck, it's almost like a standup. I played one at GC a week or two back and liked it. I like the P neck tone for that "thing" it does. These photos are not the one I bought... it hasn't arrived yet. I will have to start playing with a pick again to get more of that rawk vibe.

Bridge and tuners aren't all that impressive visually, but apparently work.

iu
I just stumbled into this thread, but we’re like a month out here, where’s the update OP?? 😜