Fender Precision? BASS GAS alert

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
I borrowed a Japanese Fender Precision for a year or so for a band I was in. It was my first P Bass and I loved the sound and simplicity. It seemed to fit right in with many types of music, whether played live or recorded.

I decided to treat myself to my own Fender Precision for my 30th birthday. Like you, I wanted to try out a few basses and by the one I liked rather than order one online. I started with the cheapest American Precision (I think it was called the Performer) and worked my way up through the American Standard, Deluxe and vintage reissue. The vintage ones were my favourite and I tried two or three out in different shops. They were very nice.

I then saw a small guitar dealer online had a custom shop Precision. The weight was good, and I asked him about the neck (I prefer the normal wide P Bass neck) and all looked good. It was about 300 miles away, so a long way to go to try it out. Instead, I said could I buy it, and if I didn't like it, send it back for a refund, less 5% for his time. It would have cost me about the same in fuel and saved my many hours of travelling. He agreed, I got the bass and it was perfect! Very resonant, with a powerful but not overbearing sound. It's by far my favourite bass.

So long story short, definitely buy one!

Definitely a post that needs pics!

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Definitely a post that needs pics!

IMG_20211122_121314.jpg

It was a custom order apparently which is why it has the unusual combination of an ash white blonde body and rosewood neck. It played and felt so much better than the American Vintage Precisions I tried. It has flatwound strings on it at the moment and I have lent it to a friend for recording. He likes it as much as I do!

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity
... comparing the sound of the P-bass vs. the J-bass. ... the P-Bass IS THE SOUND OF ROCK AND ROLL. Especially played with a pick, ...is there any reason I should look for anything beyond a P-bass? ...

Get the P-bass. The youtube channel 'Scotts Bass' did an interview with a pro recording bassist a few years back and he commented and Scott agreed that 'if you don't show up with a P-bass in hand or in your car to a studio recording session the studio sends you home and calls the next player on their list' -- having a P-bass is that important. Sure, you can dabble with exotic models, switching, and so on but a P-bass is the baseline.

Apparently the Bass Talk forum became awash in threads about how much the members loved their new purchases of the Glarry basses (both P and J styles). Great performing and sounding basses for $75 including shipping via Amazon (pre-pandemic). They are likely slightly more pricey now (quick look around $105 and up depending on 'kit' plus finishes) but still very reasonable. That price hike is likely all due to shipping cost increases from Amazon's warehouse to buyers.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Ya know, Leo improved on the Precision design by inventing the Jazz Bass.
A Jazz is more versatile than a Precision.
Yes, I have owned both.
Just sayin.

I've got a decent Jazz as well as my Precision, and basically agree with you. I know there are a lot of good sounds in my Jazz, I just find it more difficult to find them.

And the Jazz Bass is Leo's most attractive creation, no question!

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
String thorugh body & 3/4 is where it is at. I can EQ the thud. THe bass is light, resonant and odds are you won't Clock somone with your precison lethal headstock. Lot of pros using these on stage. I have a daphne blue one fretled & a fretless pink one. 1997 Musicmaster bass. EXTREMELY fun to play compared to a Precision, I had an AMerican string throuhg Precsion, but it is a clunky hassle in comparison. Very light also.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Squier Fretless Jazz Bass for playing slide Bass . I heard John Cale with the band Sabotage and I liked it a lot, then I heard Mark Sandman from the band Morphine and was very much joy-joy-happy-happy and found the fretless bass and at the time they were cheapish nicely made, so I bought it.

I like to play the bass parts of Son House's rhythmic songs on the bass and and higher part of the rhythm on guitar, kinna mixing and matching or unmatching . It's an entertainment that enhances my life experience, though I'm not very good at it , but hey, cheap entertainment that's amusing is hard to come by. A friend of mine now deceased, used to say that's more fun than having a room at MISS KITTY'S (Cat House) .

Attachments

• 00000 elderly hipster.jpg
    00000 elderly hipster.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I have a Squier Fretless Precision Bass for playing slide Bass . I heard John Cale with the band Sabotage and I liked it a lot then I heard Mark Sandman from the band Morphine and was very much joy-joy-happy-happy and found the fretless bass and at the time they were cheapish nicely made, so I bought it.

I like to play the bass parts of Son House's rhythmic songs on the bass and and higher part of the rhythm on guitar, kinna mixing and matching or unmatching . It's an entertainment that enhances my life experience, though I'm not very good at it , but hey, cheap entertainment that's amusing is hard to come by. A friend of mine now deceased, used to say that's more fun than having a room at MISS KITTY'S (Cat House) .
You sure about that cat house?

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The 'P' in P bass stands for 'perfect'

Frankly, if you can't get a good sound from a P bass, take up crochet. The J may be the more 'versatile', whatever that alludes to, but the P is king of the thuddy-thuddies.

Other basses are available, but a Squier or MIM is all you'll need.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ya know, Leo improved on the Precision design by inventing the Jazz Bass.
A Jazz is more versatile than a Precision.
Yes, I have owned both.
Just sayin.
as an untrained noizition I have no opinion about this or that , I hear both sides , Precision, Jazz, Precision, Jazz, Precision, Jazz, Precision, Jazz,
Jah Wobble plays an Ovation Magnum, so ?

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I am not a Bass Player but wanted one. After research the overwhelming answer was most players and bands preferred the P Bass. After looking for over a year I bought the attached Fender American P Bass. I still can’t play it except messing around on it.
789066DB-4D10-45F6-A1F8-1B76234677CE.jpeg

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
There are some interesting perspectives here as usual (cough) and what I find continually fascinating is that THERE IS NO CLEAR ANSWER THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE.

I used to think that instruments with a lot of switches and knobs and flexible versatile etc. were great, because who wouldn't want a guitar that is capable of sort of sounding like all other guitars, but... I discovered that I don't really like that.

I used to think that everyone would like a Strat, so I got one. But:
a) Tone control arrangement is an abomination. Yes yes I'm sure it has some applicability to specific things done when playing live.
b) 5 switch positions is too many. It's not you, it's me.
c) THAT SOUND! The only song this guitar was capable of was lame ass attempts to play "The Wind Cries Mary". This iconic sound, finally in MY hands! It was too much responsibility. I gave the Strat (OK it was just a Squier) to a friend.

Oddly enough, that is sort of what is going on here. Finally playing a Precision bass, and finally (even though my hearing is diminishing) hearing THAT SOUND, I thought I'd like to add it to the heap.

The Talman TMB30 short scale is a P/J arrangement and it sounded awful with the stock roundwounds. It's possible that I also prefer flatwounds for their non-shredding of my calluses, but given that I am looking for something with greater twang, I will probably go towards roundwounds, I think some bass string mfrs have a whole range along that dimension.

Thinking back to my Peavey Foundation, which as I mentioned seems to follow the Jazz bass slim neck and two pickup configuration, I never figured out anything to do with the knobs beyond turn them all the way up (which makes them humbucking btw) and control the tone at the amp. For whatever reason, during the time I was actually playing music with other people, I was not really concerned about the nuances of "tone" and gravitated towards a relatively thuddy sound, as being suitable for the R&B/blues stuff. Not a slapper. Never did a solo. I also used a G-K 200MB for years and years in these small jams and as it is incapable of overdrive, I never really wrapped my head around the idea of overdriving the bass, even for rock. I know that sounds crazy!

So, as with many of my gear purchases over the years, I think I know what I want, but I could be wrong. That's why I decided to take the approach of playing a bunch of different basses in a given range and waiting for that "magical" moment. The ineffable, indescribable, I-can-only-tell-you-when-it-happens-and-not-a-moment-before "thing".

I'm thinking:
a) Spend a couple hours in the store
b) Try a lot of basses, including Precisions which I would have avoided in the past
c) Maybe try some active basses, but... eeekkk.... really don't think I want that.
d) Find one that plays well? Buy it! Don't buy one "like it". Don't go home and order it online. Buy THAT ONE! At least that way, maybe I can skip the setup for awhile, because one on the rack is likely to have been set up (though I did find some clankers), while it's almost a given that a new in box one will need a setup.

Last edited:

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
I am not a Bass Player but wanted one. After research the overwhelming answer was most players and bands preferred the P Bass. After looking for over a year I bought the attached Fender American P Bass. I still can’t play it except messing around on it. View attachment 922130
That's not a Precision, it's a Jazz. You bought the wrong one!