1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender 'Player' Stratocaster Alnico Pickups? Sound? Love?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Krackle, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Hi Folks,

there's a loaded pick guard in my area with a set of the Strat, HSS, Player Alnico Pickups in it..100 dollars

Thinking about checking these out..i hear and read about folks liking these quite a bit..and of course..people hating them...something about the mids being too strong or stiff

Wondering what you guys here can offer on this Player HSS set?

..Im really looking for a fairly 'strat' sounding set of up pickups..nothing to too hot and pickuos that have some organic quality to them..that is - not brittle or hard sounding..

i bought a guitar on the cheap that has an HSS set of Dragonfire ceramics in it and they are sorta lifeless and very brittle sounding

thanks.................

2. macoshark

macoshark TDPRI Member

Player single coil PUs are decent but don't know about the bucker on those. I do know the single coils need to have their height for the one playing it. Not a bad price since just the PG, loaded would be $120 or more to setup from scratch. I've been setting mine almost flush with the PG and then playing it that way for awhile and going higher a little at a time. Just about an 1/8 of an inch lately. My Texmex PUs are flush with the PG.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Krackle likes this.
  3. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Right to the bottom of the string?????

4. macoshark

macoshark TDPRI Member

Let me rephrase that. PU height set from flush with PG up towards the bottom of the strings. Thanks for picking that up

Krackle likes this.
  5. macoshark

macoshark TDPRI Member

thanks for mentioning that, my bad.

Krackle likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Those Player SCs are a little hotter, fatter, and more "modern" sounding take on a vintage alnico Strat type pickup, very much like the original Am Std pickups from the late 80s/early 90s. For a bit more of a vintage type tone, try a set of the new Fender designed CV Strat pickups, or a set of Guitar Madness 62z, both of which are very affordable alnico 5s that really do a great job of nailing the classic vintage Strat tone and feel, IMO.

FortyEight and Krackle like this.
  7. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

Thanks folks and Thanks Doug..

I had read this here and there in and out of rave reviews and disappointed reviews..
    it's exactly what i dont want..I'll follow your leads on some of those you mentioned..I want a failry traditional strat set..not super hot.

thanks man

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

They aren't super hot, just maybe a little bit, and still have a very vintage type sound overall, IMO. They just lean ever so slightly towards the modern side.

Fendereedo and Krackle like this.
  9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I like them, they sound good clean and with gain

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I only play clean and really like the single coils in my 2019 Players Strat. I do like clean and a bit warm tones. I do have the Guitar Madness 62'z in another Strat and they also sound very good to me. Have no idea on the HB. Don't care for them in Fender type guitars.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i've got a players strat and i really love the pickups. to me, they sound exactly like what a maple fretboard strat should sound like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.