Fender Player Neck another string tree

thunderbaas

TDPRI Member
Might have to do something with my playing style (I use a lot of "upstrokes") but I certainly use 2 spring trees. Otherwise the high E string tends to "leave the nut" Even on my Jaguar. But as they say "different strokes for different folks"

Full-Tilt-Tele

Tele-Meister
Well, it really depends on which 'Tree' you're using. I've used many, single and double 'Treed'... However, I prefer those 'Roller' style trees, personally... I believe you'll get a better, firmer hold on a second tree with the 'D'-'G' secured on the head. Remember, when we depress a string, the string will be pulled through the 'Nut' and 'Tree' slightly. So, the smoother its movement, the better. My take...

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
Well, it really depends on which 'Tree' you're using. I've used many, single and double 'Treed'... However, I prefer those 'Roller' style trees, personally... I believe you'll get a better, firmer hold on a second tree with the 'D'-'G' secured on the head. Remember, when we depress a string, the string will be pulled through the 'Nut' and 'Tree' slightly. So, the smoother its movement, the better. My take...
I briefly had my eye on a used Performer Telecaster with the roller string trees and locking tuners. It was well out of my price range so there was no chance I could get it but those two little things would have been very nice I thought.

George Martini

TDPRI Member
The G and D open strings can produce funky overtones without the second string tree. If the nut is cut perfectly it shouldn't happen though.
Definitely, but sometimes your guitar may need another string tree. For what it's worth, I worked at Redbank Music in New Jersey (largest Fender dealer on the east coast in the 70's). I used to go through all the guitars on display and make them more playable. Some would be really good and others would make me wonder if the manufacturer had any Quality Control. Remember, wood dries out, ages, ans sometimes warps.. whatever. Also, what may feel like the ultimate guitar to me is like getting married. Either it fits or it doesn't. I say try it and see what happens. Some overtones are awesome, like Danny Gatton.

GPoint

TDPRI Member
In some cases, there is a reason for a string tree for 3rd string (no need for wound strings). In some cases, there is no need for a string tree at all. Depends on the neck/headstock, nut, string action, and tuner shafts. The string tree must be right made, without sharp contact points with the strings. Kind of vintage string tree's contact point must be just one (bent) and graphite oiled. Often they are 2 contact points straight made...

Clayton Bigsby

TDPRI Member
Definitely, but sometimes your guitar may need another string tree. For what it's worth, I worked at Redbank Music in New Jersey (largest Fender dealer on the east coast in the 70's). I used to go through all the guitars on display and make them more playable. Some would be really good and others would make me wonder if the manufacturer had any Quality Control. Remember, wood dries out, ages, ans sometimes warps.. whatever. Also, what may feel like the ultimate guitar to me is like getting married. Either it fits or it doesn't. I say try it and see what happens. Some overtones are awesome, like Danny Gatton.
Dooowd….your gave me a flashback….I was a conductor on the CNJ (njt) trains to Bay Head in the 70’s….I went to Manny’s in the City for my 1st guitar…But Red Bank Fiat/Lancia for my 1 st new car…
a ‘76 Lancia Beta coupe……STOLE IT…..because the dealers couldn’t move em…..
Life WAS Good back then..
You must’ve seen the likes of Springsteen and Bon Jovi….in RB playin bars back in the day……no?

Swingcat

TDPRI Member
Hey y'all. I make a lot of comments on this forum but it's my first post asking for help.

I installed a Fender Player Telecaster neck on a Fender Performer body. It didn't occur to me until just now that the Player Telecaster has a 6 saddle bridge plate and one string string tree. I have the 3 barrel vintage bridge plate. My question is: do I need to add another string tree if I don't have the 6 saddle bridge. The guitar plays fine with one string tree. I am just wondering if another one would make it play and feel better.
I am a high end electric guitar maker, so I DO know what I'm talking about.
First, you are better off with the 6 saddle bridge (or a COMPENSATED 3 barrel, providing it was compensated for the gauge of strings you use). A vintage 3 barrel can NOT be compensated and therefore, can NOT play in tune. It's just physically impossible. Tone is really not affected as many will tell you (but are unable to prove)
Next, I always use two string trees, mostly because it's simple and cheap to add a second, and it does make it a LITTLE better. Usually you don't really NEED the second one though.
As far as tone, the ONLY thing string trees do tonally is to keep the higher strings from buzzing in the nut and from flopping out of the slot. It MIGHT affect the tone slightly ONLY when a string is played open. A fretted string is not affected by a string tree AT ALL.

Attachments

• tempImageheBPww.png
    tempImageheBPww.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • tempImage1KuiuB.png
    tempImage1KuiuB.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
If you have STAGGERED tuners (different heights), then you in theory don't NEED string trees.
However, I have at least one on all my Telecasters.

Sputnik03

TDPRI Member
Hey y'all. I make a lot of comments on this forum but it's my first post asking for help.

I installed a Fender Player Telecaster neck on a Fender Performer body. It didn't occur to me until just now that the Player Telecaster has a 6 saddle bridge plate and one string string tree. I have the 3 barrel vintage bridge plate. My question is: do I need to add another string tree if I don't have the 6 saddle bridge. The guitar plays fine with one string tree. I am just wondering if another one would make it play and feel better.
I had to put 2 trees on my custom built Esquire, it needed more break angle. But it's your guitar, do what feels right for YOU. That's what I've always done. All the advice on earth is just that, advice. You have to be satisfied in the wash up.

DeanIversen

TDPRI Member
dont add a fuggin string tree, good lord they solve nothing, if you think something is happening cuz the break angle isn't enough get staggered tuners FFS.. lord, ruin another neck..

what you got strings jumping off the nut FCS?

Clayton Bigsby

TDPRI Member
Beautiful guitar! Does it have vintage tuners?
If this reply is a dupe disregard….I replied once already but I don’t see it here….
Thanks for the compliment…. You obviously have great aesthetic taste!
It came with these 3186871C-74BE-4DA7-8CB0-E64532DE0FD3.jpeg
I swapped them out for compatble Fender locking tuners.

…..WHICH BTW are staggered height and I left the “tree”…I just don’t…. nor did I ever have any “issues” with mine….as for intonation, it was set and forget…because….
“It’s ONLY Rock and Roll”

Last edited: