Fender Player Neck another string tree

Strarcries

TDPRI Member
Hey y'all. I make a lot of comments on this forum but it's my first post asking for help.

I installed a Fender Player Telecaster neck on a Fender Performer body. It didn't occur to me until just now that the Player Telecaster has a 6 saddle bridge plate and one string string tree. I have the 3 barrel vintage bridge plate. My question is: do I need to add another string tree if I don't have the 6 saddle bridge. The guitar plays fine with one string tree. I am just wondering if another one would make it play and feel better.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey y'all. I make a lot of comments on this forum but it's my first post asking for help.

I installed a Fender Player Telecaster neck on a Fender Performer body. It didn't occur to me until just now that the Player Telecaster has a 6 saddle bridge plate and one string string tree. I have the 3 barrel vintage bridge plate. My question is: do I need to add another string tree if I don't have the 6 saddle bridge. The guitar plays fine with one string tree. I am just wondering if another one would make it play and feel better.

Try removing the existing string tree and see if it makes any difference. If it is negligible, you have your answer.

Often, simply adding extra winds to increase the break angle can substitute for an additional string tree. Really depends on the neck, nut, and tuner style.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
it's just a preference thing. most three saddle teles only had one string tree, it wasn't until the 70s they started putting two on, and then stopped after that.

but i think the american performer only has one anyway, no?

old_picker

Tele-Afflicted
Never use a second string tree on my teles. Just increases binding / tuning issues. a minor point I know with a tele but why waste a string tree.

Strarcries

TDPRI Member
it's just a preference thing. most three saddle teles only had one string tree, it wasn't until the 70s they started putting two on, and then stopped after that.

but i think the american performer only has one anyway, no?
Yes, only one. But the bridge is a 6 saddle.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
As has already been said, the bridge has absolutely nothing to do with the break angle behind the nut.
There is no correlation between how many saddles you have and how many string trees you should have.

TexasTodd

TDPRI Member
If it’s playing great, then I agree with everyone that there’s no need to add anything. My tele had an extra twangy (in a bad way) G string, so I got the three string tree from StewMac which solved my issue. Doesn’t require a new screw hole, so it can be put back to stock.

Paulmccarthy

TDPRI Member

When they have 2 I always take 1 off. With out looking I don’t remember what one but I never use 2

m33as

NEW MEMBER!
Bridge type has no impact on need of string tree. If it plays good, play it.
This ^ String trees are to compensate for string break angle behind the nut. It’s got nothing to do with the bridge at the other end.

Clayton Bigsby

TDPRI Member
Heres my AMERICAN PERFORMER
1 tree
F482CF62-11D0-4296-AFB0-DA8D3503DDF4.jpeg

bluesmain

TDPRI Member
look at g&l
what did leo do
trogly had some fender custom shop guitars with 2 saddle bridges
without randomness... order cannot maifest itself
be here now remember
first warmoth from 1990 just out of 15 year storage 10-16 compound birdseye neck
stewmac quilt top body dunlop tremsetter inside push pull on volume to split hotrails

Attachments

• thumbnail (72).jpg
    thumbnail (72).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

David Menke

Tele-Meister

String tree's are to keep the strings from slipping off the nut. Usually the issue is with the E and B string. Bridge has no bearing on the nut if the guitar is setup correctly. String trees are inexpensive, and if you find the strings falling out of the notch on the nut, maybe another tree for the G and D string.
Another option if this does happen, get tuners that are compensated, being the E and B string the lowest poles.
It does depend on how hard you massage those strings when playing. If you do a Pete Townsend (The Who) type of chords, you may have an issue with strings falling off the nut. 😁.