Fender player 2022 thinner bodied than fender player 2021??

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
Hey everyone, Tele enthusiast here! I recently bought a fender player telecaster black on black, and I noticed it was lighter in weight than my 2021 tele player (my new one is for modding)... I know the 2021 were 75 year anniversary models but I also have noticed it is a bit thinner, like half an inch, maybe more. Is this normal?
Both were bought from reputable stores with all official documents... the new 2022 model has a less bassy resonance unplugged than the 2021 model so I'm hoping it will give some extra spanky tones, but I was just curious as I was sure the bodies were all practically identical in shape. Both sound great but the setup is different and my curiosity is purely to the width of the models.

Thanks in advance :)

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
I have a thinline fender tele with p90s that is also the same thickness as the new 2022 black on black model. Did they make a wider and heavier body for the 75th anniversary or something as there is a sizeable difference (relatively)

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
Hey everyone, Tele enthusiast here! I recently bought a fender player telecaster black on black, and I noticed it was lighter in weight than my 2021 tele player (my new one is for modding)... I know the 2021 were 75 year anniversary models but I also have noticed it is a bit thinner, like half an inch, maybe more. Is this normal?
Both were bought from reputable stores with all official documents... the new 2022 model has a less bassy resonance unplugged than the 2021 model so I'm hoping it will give some extra spanky tones, but I was just curious as I was sure the bodies were all practically identical in shape. Both sound great but the setup is different and my curiosity is purely to the width of the models.

Who cares what, it sounds like unplugged unless that's all you intend to play it as?

Its not an acoustic guitar.

I've yet to see anyone present fact that there's a correlation between unplugged sound and amplified sound. Considering the sounds are coming FROM TWO SEPARATE SOURCES, then they're completely unrelated imo.

One is from vibration through thr wood. The other is a magnetic field that's excited by steel/nickel strings when they move through that magnetic field.

Where's the correlation? Tele pickups don't use the vibration in the wood to make sound like an acoustic/piezo pickup does. Solid body guitar pickups work on a different principle.

Textele

Tele-Holic
My 2020 Player Tele is the normal thickness of approximately 1 3/4".

Did not know that they changed anything.

I would like to see pics if you have them.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

I have a thinline fender tele with p90s that is also the same thickness as the new 2022 black on black model. Did they make a wider and heavier body for the 75th anniversary or something as there is a sizeable difference (relatively)

My 2020 Player Tele is the normal thickness of approximately 1 3/4".

Did not know that they changed anything.

I would like to see pics if you have them.
Wow 1/2", that's a shame. I measured two of my most low budget Teles a 2019 Fender Player Telecaster which was 1.77" wide and a 2015 Squier Standard Telecaster that measured at 1.78". They're probably both 1 3/4" with the differences probly due to paint thickness or just a little slop or loosening of the calipers when I let go.

20220729_211533.jpg
20220729_211141.jpg

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want to check the relative thicknesses then either use callipers or put them side by side on a flat surface. (Eyeballing can be pretty confusing especially if the colours are very different.) And as ever we would all be very keen to see photos!

TBH I would be very concerned that one is not a true Fender body. Sure there’s a bit of hand sanding but the thickness should be pretty consistent, except for the known Squier Bullets which are thinner.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
If it’s a small store where you would expect to be buying off the rack and customer returns might not get sold as used if they are undamaged, there’s an outside chance someone has swapped the neck on to a Squier body then returned it. Cosmetically they look quite similar and the parts would fit. Is the bridge attached by three screws under the saddles or by four screws in the corners?

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
I've never heard of a Fender Tele 1.25" thick. I think Leo experimented with 1.5" early on (maybe the early Esquires?), but not 1.25" as far as I know. Aren't the control and pickup routs nearly that deep?

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
If it’s a small store where you would expect to be buying off the rack and customer returns might not get sold as used if they are undamaged, there’s an outside chance someone has swapped the neck on to a Squier body then returned it. Cosmetically they look quite similar and the parts would fit. Is the bridge attached by three screws under the saddles or by four screws in the corners?
Scary thought that, and annoying beyond belief! 😡

BLCK-OPM22

TDPRI Member
Arghhh I'm so sorry everyone who replied,
If you want to check the relative thicknesses then either use callipers or put them side by side on a flat surface. (Eyeballing can be pretty confusing especially if the colours are very different.) And as ever we would all be very keen to see photos!

TBH I would be very concerned that one is not a true Fender body. Sure there’s a bit of hand sanding but the thickness should be pretty consistent, except for the known Squier Bullets which are thinner.
I'm an idiot, and I do apologise for wasting peoples time replying. I was eye balling after taking a silly amount of mushrooms... apparently butterscotch looks bigger and black looks slimmer when hallucinogens are involved 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ and then I got paranoid of the squier swap happening, and then the size difference looked bigger and I was sure of it 🤣💀.
Being sober I laid them down on the floor next to each other and there is like 1mm or 2mm difference 😑😑🥴, how that looked like half an inch I will never know!
So on a positive note all is well, otherwise all that was uncovered here was my idiotic balls-trippin self. Thanks everyone for your time even though it was wasted due to my incompetence lol.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
One is from vibration through thr wood. The other is a magnetic field that's excited by steel/nickel strings when they move through that magnetic field.
Common oversimplification. The string vibration that creates current in the pickup is influenced by how vibrations in the guitar neck and body travel back through the strings. This is very obviously evident in qualities such as sustain (or lack of it) and overall tonality of the guitar (bright, warm, whatever) as the neck and body both transmit some vibrations and absorb others. The nonsensical view that it's just strings and pickups with no other factors at work has been amply disproven. I would also add that many pickups are a bit, or a lot, microphonic. Tap the body of your guitar and tell me that no sound comes through your amp. Sure, all these factors have different degrees of effect, and no competent builder would claim that all of them are always a big deal, but to say they don't exist, or are always trivial, or can't be heard is simply incorrect. The Tele obsessives will tell you that they hear differences in the different metals used for saddles, for crying out loud. If a person can't hear some of these distinctions, including how the acoustic qualities of an unamplified guitar affect the amplified sound, it's more likely the listener, not the functioning of electric guitars, that's creating that outcome.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Who cares what, it sounds like unplugged unless that's all you intend to play it as?

Its not an acoustic guitar.

I've yet to see anyone present fact that there's a correlation between unplugged sound and amplified sound. Considering the sounds are coming FROM TWO SEPARATE SOURCES, then they're completely unrelated imo.

Where's the correlation? Tele pickups don't use the vibration in the wood to make sound like an acoustic/piezo pickup does. Solid body guitar pickups work on a different principle.
The think the OP is just curious to know whether the body thickness changed? Not wanting an explanation for the different sound.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Arghhh I'm so sorry everyone who replied,

I'm an idiot, and I do apologise for wasting peoples time replying. I was eye balling after taking a silly amount of mushrooms... apparently butterscotch looks bigger and black looks slimmer when hallucinogens are involved 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ and then I got paranoid of the squier swap happening, and then the size difference looked bigger and I was sure of it 🤣💀.
Being sober I laid them down on the floor next to each other and there is like 1mm or 2mm difference 😑😑🥴, how that looked like half an inch I will never know!
So on a positive note all is well, otherwise all that was uncovered here was my idiotic balls-trippin self. Thanks everyone for your time even though it was wasted due to my incompetence lol.
So, you’ve got two fake players with Bullet bodies!? No worries then😄😄😄😄😄