1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Fender Pilot Light - doesn't fit right in Princeton Reverb chassis

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Lavely, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

I'm building a RobRob Champ Micro in a Princeton Reverb chassis (LOTS of room!). While installing the indicator light, I am noticing that the slant of the front panel means the indicator assembly doesn't really fit well in the chassis:

[​IMG]Untitled by joelavely, on Flickr

Meaning, it touches the chassis itself when installed properly. RobRob suggested I add a nut or two to the outside of the chassis (the front panel side) so the unit doesn't poke as far into the amp chassis as it does now. Sounds easy enough...except, when I go to find a couple nuts to add, I'm not sure what size to use! Anyone have specs for the nut shown here holding the unit to the chassis? I would add a couple to the outside, which would make the body of the assembly protrude further out the front side, hopefully not touch the chassis. I have found different specs - one says 9/16-24, another says 1/16-27. Because this has an inside screw receptacle as well, not sure which to buy?

Also, how about a source for cheap nuts!?!?

2. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Call me dense, but even if more of the holder is on the other side of the amp face, the angle of the threads into the chassis is going to be the same and when it's snugged up you're going to be in the same relative position, right? Why don't you rotate the back part of the assembly 90 degrees counterclockwise? That will put the flat of the holder against the chassis and it's grounded. As you tighten it up, the holder will bend but the inner lamp holder won't. It will still shine through your jewel.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

@SerpentRuss - I think if I move it "out" the front, the back that's on the chassis now will not shift angle, but will move closer to the front panel, creating more clearance. No?

4. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

The steel part that has the part number, is the front of that touching the front panel? It's hard to tell from your photo. If not, then I guess you have a little to gain there, If it's touching, you don't have anywhere to go.

5. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

Geez - of course you are right!!! Is there a face-palm emoji?!?

OK - so, someone tell me - how am I supposed to install this vintage Fender lamp in a vintage Fender chassis? There must be a common solution...this isn't a new problem?

6. thechad

thechad Tele-Holic

Bend it at the folds of the metal arm with the part numbers. The part that bolts to the chassis needs to be bent so it will go parallel to the bottom of the chassis, then bend the bulb holder side so the lamp points to the jewel.

Viejo and glenlivet like this.
  7. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

Looking at some PR chassis pics online, many look like this is not a problem, which baffles me. Others have some fiberboard screwed to the chassis to sit between the chassis floor and the metal of the light assembly.

Junior Little and zook like this.
  8. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

@thechad - I have tried a few variations on your idea, except one piece - will give it a shot tonight

9. thechad

thechad Tele-Holic

Be sure to remove it from the chassis before you bend it so you don’t accidentally damage the chassis. And remove the bulb as well. I would try orienting it 90 degrees to the way it currently sits. Kind of like this :
    upload_2021-2-23_15-41-20.jpeg

If that makes sense.

10. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just bend the whole assembly upward. The lamp will still show through the jewel. The bulb isn't centered as it is.

King Fan likes this.
  11. thechad

thechad Tele-Holic

You would still like to be able to change out the bulb by only removing the jewel and not having to open up the whole chassis, so don’t bend it too much askew.

Boreas likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

it's not uncommon at all. I have seen vintage fender's with a strip of that thin fiberboard under there. As Thechad said do this:
    -Bend the piot lamp assembly so that is is off the chassis:
    First bend the angle near the faceplate end to a tighter 90 degrees. Then bend the right angle at the back of it to get the pilot lamp more centered again. Easy Peasy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  13. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

What PR chassis are you using? I wonder if the front angle varies at all? Me, I wouldn't extend the lamp out the front with spacers, but even if I did I'd try to find a nice hi-grade washer or two, not a hex nut.

My Mojo PR chassis a few years back had plenty of room for the lamp. Hmm, did I bend the lamp's housing, as the guys are suggesting? Looks like maybe so. That'd explain why I mounted it with the housing down, for fairly obvious reasons, to simply bend it to a somewhat greater angle.

upload_2021-2-23_17-15-47.jpeg

Or, as noted, mount it sideways and RTV a small chunk of fiberboard under the housing -- this is my vintage '67 VibroChamp, and the same thing worked well with my 6G2 build.

upload_2021-2-23_17-22-57.jpeg

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Blue Bill and jsnwhite619 like this.
  15. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I would grind or file a little bit of it off to gain more clearance.

16. Lavely

Lavely TDPRI Member

Pretty simple solution, as several above outlined. I ordered the McMaster fiberboard from Post #14, screwed it into the chassis, barrier made, problem solved! Also bent the housing a little bit, as suggested. The "after" pic:

[​IMG]Untitled by joelavely, on Flickr

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.